Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

14 Mos post op, from 308 to 174

My original goal was i would be happy at 180. I have achieved that. Not trying to lose weight anymore. Can eat pretty much anything I want. But I have used this "tool" to live a healthier lifestyle. Yeah I will splurge here and there but I eat much healthier now even though I am at a point I could eat garbage and gain weight back. Subtle changes for long term, like I eat egg beaters, third the calories of regular eggs, no little debbies persay, but 40 Cal Popsicles or 60 Cal sugar free chocolate pudding with a hint of whipped cream if I want something sweet or a couple low-fat Graham crackers. More fish and chicken. If u like frozen pizza, Palermo's has a thin crust line that's delish, and like 750 calories for whole big pizza compared to typical which is like 1500 and no I don't nor can't eat a whole pizza, but can still enjoy food but in moderation and healthier versions. I use Splenda not sugar in coffee, spray butter not real butter etc.... 40 Cal per slice honey wheat bread slices, 40 Cal Hebrew national all beef fat free hot dogs, plenty of Kraut and remove a third of the bun etc... Anyway lifestyle needs to change in this process but not life quality . As many readers know I went thru HELL for 3 Mos post op, but I am approaching 1 year since my complications went away and in hind sight and everything I went thru, it has been worth it. I've got into using mapmywalk app lately for 5k walks and even some brief sprints during walks so exercising more. Didn't exercise much the year after surgery but past few months I have been doing more. The things in life I can do now that i couldnt before are amazing, being able to go into any store and buy clothes is a blessing. From XXXL shirts to mediums, and from 52 waist pants to 32 is wonderful. Hope all are well on your journey and remember and hold dear all the support I recd here when I was going thru the complications. Don't get much time lately to be online but I don't forget this great group or journey/bond we share. Be well all and happy healthy New Years.

Thx

AL

post-235435-14535641720629_thumb.jpg

post-235435-14535641932793_thumb.jpg

Edited by nprcowboy

Congrats on your loss and recovery. I am also 14m out and was lurking and praying for you as you went through that nightmare during the first few months. It's so great to see how well you've done. I remember your wife was going through a lot as well. I hope she is well also. Maintenance is a one day at a time process as well. You look great. Keep it up!

Congrats on your loss and recovery. I am also 14m out and was lurking and praying for you as you went through that nightmare during the first few months. It's so great to see how well you've done. I remember your wife was going through a lot as well. I hope she is well also. Maintenance is a one day at a time process as well. You look great. Keep it up!

Thanks. My wife was officially diagnosed with stage IV cancer a few months ago. They removed 2 primary tumors but it's in her liver. We are now a wait and see approach with regular scans and trying to live our lives for as long and as best we can. Ty for asking/remembering

@@nprcowboy Thank you for posting about your success, congratulations and I wish you well in maintenance!

I am so sad to hear about your wife's cancer, and you both are in my thoughts and prayers. You are so much healthier to be able to support her and yourself through this difficult process. Please keep us posted.

@@nprcowboy Thank you for posting about your success, congratulations and I wish you well in maintenance!

I am so sad to hear about your wife's cancer, and you both are in my thoughts and prayers. You are so much healthier to be able to support her and yourself through this difficult process. Please keep us posted.

The positive which relates to WLS, is they caught it on the standard liver biopsy they do during these surgeries. Her rare cancer usually goes undiagnosed for 5 to 7 years unless they catch by accident. So her bypass helped us catch it much earlier. Even after they caught it on the biopsy they couldn't find it and went 8 months without finding primary tumors which were in original scans when they did her surgery but oncologist missed it. Could only imagine had it not been for catching it by chance in standard WLS biopsy how long it would have been or developed before diagnosed. As even after they were tipped off by chance took 8 months to correctly diagnose and find the cancer. So the fact she has cancer sucks, but without the WLS could have had a far less chance of survival.