Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Prior abdominal surgery

I had an umbilical hernia repair 14 years ago and just had emergency gall bladder surgery and follow up surgery to remove stones from common duct. Does anyone know if there is a time limit to wait for weight loss surgery after previous abdominal surgeries? Also, do they use the same incisions?

mine was backwards from yours. I had WLS last April, and gallbladder last week. They used different incisions. Now I have 8 little one inch incisions instead of just the 4 I had from WLS. They are in different areas, so different holes. :)

I am not certain, maybe it depends on the surgeon? I had the incisions from Lapband surgery and when I had it removed they used the same incisions sites... when I had it revised to sleeve he used the same incisions areas again plus one tiny new one.

These would be good questions to ask your surgeon.

Thanks for the responses - I'm not sure my belly button could take a third incision!

I had gallbladder surgery 5 years ago.WLS last year.

@@j16 I asked my surgeon to not go thru my belly button, because I had so many laproscopies in my early years before my hysterectomy. so He went above my belly button. He went above it for my gallbladder too.

My surgeon did not use my belly button either because of previous surgery. I had a total of 7 little incisions from bypass surgery and unfortunately lost my gallbladder 20 years ago before they did lap surgery So my incision is about 4 inches diagonally.

My poor tummy looks like a road map. The good news is when I get a Tummy Tuck hopefully a lot of that will go away.

Thanks all - I meet with my surgeon in a few weeks and will see what she thinks. Maybe my belly button will be healed by then and it won't seem so bad :)

I had an umbilical hernia repair 14 years ago and just had emergency gall bladder surgery and follow up surgery to remove stones from common duct. Does anyone know if there is a time limit to wait for weight loss surgery after previous abdominal surgeries? Also, do they use the same incisions?

I just had a total hysterectomy (both ovaries removed, and Endometriosis removed) 3 weeks ago. My sleeve Surgeon said I had to wait 6-8 weeks for her to do it. I was wondering if they wil use the same insicions too.

Edited by Bluesky1