Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Post sleeve comfort foods -roll call!

Interesting topic! My mother used to make something with nutritional yeast, it was salad dressing..she called it Gypsy dressing. I'll have to get some. My comfort food is a wide variety of Soup. I found I was not getting my Protein in and have since made Soup once or twice a week. It makes a lot, lasts for days , hubby likes them and i find the Protein goes down easier if its very wet. Turkey meatball soup, veggie beef soup, chicken soup with dumplings (can't do noodles yet..ever?) broccoli/mushroom/potato.

@@Emilie.Lancaster,

Great topic!

My recent comfort foods tend to be casseroles. They’re easy to make with whatever you have on hand, you can make them healthy, and they’re comforting because…they just are. :) I love baking spinach, eggs, and whatever other vegetable or Protein is around, and digging in!

And yes, some of those frozen dinners do the trick. They may not be the healthiest ever, but they are sure better than “the real thing,” especially because they come in single serving portions! Sometimes I go for those tiny bean burritos and even just eat the filling – they taste like they’re old-fashioned junk food, but they are so small they can’t be too bad! I like making dips, too, out of vegetables. I leave them chunky, maybe add some parmesan cheese for flavor, and feel like I’m eating something decadent.

Alex, there has been a great deal of discussing of Nurtritional Yeast on this thread. What is your opinion of it? Have you ever used it? I must say, it does add a great flavor (and protein) to veggies (especially green salads).

Nutritional yeast is a godsend. It makes salad taste like bread. Sprinkle it on like Parmesan cheese and enjoy the hit of Iron and Protein. Any health food store will have it in bulk foods. It is raised commonly on molasses, which is high in Iron, but the little buggers digest some of this iron which makes it easier for people to digest. Also it has thiamine, necessary for preventing cognitive impairment, especially in RNY patients. Did I mention it makes everything taste like bread?

So, if I sprinkled nutritional yeast onto my cauliflower instead of parm. cheese, what would the taste be? What would be the benefits/drawbacks? Now you have my curiosity going! :)
Well, there is zero fat, and higher iron, and that benefit of making veg taste like bread....
thank you! I found some nutritional yeast today--not an easy task by any means here is rural NY state. I didn't want to order it online until I had tried it. I finally found it at the "artsy fartsy store on the state college campus. I felt a wee out of place not having any dreadlocks...

I put some on my cauliflower from last night and some on my spinach salad. You're right, I made bite have a "breadsy" taste .(Is "breadsy" a real word?) Anyway, you get the idea.

My teeth kept looking for the croutons...

Thank you again for this treasure. It sure will add some variety to the ol' taste buds.

It is also amazing sprinkled on popcorn.< /p>

Stumbled across these posts last night and I have been out and bought nutritional yeast today. Yum!!!!! I made fat free turkey meatloaf and roasted cauliflower with a crust made from garlic granules, cayenne, mixed herbs, black pepper, nutritional yeast and a bit of olive oil to glue it all together. Shoved it all in a plastic food bag, added the cauliflower florets and gave the whole lot a good shake. Tipped it all into a baking tray, into a fairly hot oven and hey presto-bliss. My husband who can eat crap and still stay slim and fit LOVED it. Yay. Got veg down his throat and healthy Protein from the turkey loaf. I'm now hooked on nutritional yeast and it's magical food enhancing properties. Will be experimenting more tomorrow.

Stumbled across these posts last night and I have been out and bought nutritional yeast today. Yum!!!!! I made fat free turkey meatloaf and roasted cauliflower with a crust made from garlic granules, cayenne, mixed herbs, black pepper, nutritional yeast and a bit of olive oil to glue it all together. Shoved it all in a plastic food bag, added the cauliflower florets and gave the whole lot a good shake. Tipped it all into a baking tray, into a fairly hot oven and hey presto-bliss. My husband who can eat crap and still stay slim and fit LOVED it. Yay. Got veg down his throat and healthy Protein from the turkey loaf. I'm now hooked on nutritional yeast and it's magical food enhancing properties. Will be experimenting more tomorrow.

This sounds great. Would you be interested in posting the recipe?

Yes of course, just tell me how to do it!!!!!!!

?

Edited by jintycb

Yes of course, just tell me how to do it!!!!!!!

I would just post it on this tread. I am sure a few others would appreciate it. Just need approximate amounts of everything and some basic instructions. It sounds right up my alley!

I was telling my mom about Nutritional yeast. She said it was the go to before Protein powders came to be when she was younger.

To make the roasted cauliflower all you need to do is to get one plastic food bag and put the following into it.

2 tablespoons of nutritional yeast

1 teaspoon garlic granules

1 teaspoon mixed herbs

1 teaspoon hot paprika or cayenne pepper

Salt and ground black pepper

1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil (or whatever other oil you like)

shake in the bag until well mixed.

Break a whole cauliflower into florets and chuck it into the bag with the oil and herb mixture. shake it until the cauliflower is well covered then tip the lot onto a non-stick baking tray. Put it into the oven (450f) and cook until slightly crispy on the outside and just al denote when you poke it with a knife.

Quantities are approximate as I rarely measure anything and just tweak things till they taste right.

Enjoy x

My post op comfort foods are the same as they were pre op. I just have a tiny bit of it occasionally.

My main comfort food, which is my favorite thing in the world is sushi. The only difference post op is that i no longer go to my favorite buffet and i only eat sashimi

Sushi!!!!

I just made some from some rare salmon, rolled it in a half nori sheet with some slivers of cucumber, and dipped in some soy sauce with vinegar.

No.

Rice.

Yum! I'm going to try this as I LOVE sushi.

I recently discovered ProYo where I shop. It's a high Protein frozen yogurt pushup treat. They're too high in sugar to have every day but they are a great occasional treat.

Yo, ProYo! JohnZ54, is there any soy in this treat? I am EXTREMELY allergic to soy and the damn stuff is in just about everything. Thank YOU.

Valentina

Hello, it's a lil off topic but what is your reaction if you consume soy? My 8 year daughter is also extremely allergic to soy. She has vomiting and diarrhea.

On another note, Healthy Choice also has a Greek frozen yogurt. I've found in the frozen foods section with the Healthy Choice section.