Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Post-Op Exercise Plans?

What's everyone planning on doing for staying active? I know we have to walk, walk, walk. But anything else in addition to that?

I have always been a "thick" girl but my horrible weight gain started after I dislocated my knee cap at the gym in 2012. No bueno. It was on a Saturday so I was rushed to the ER but the military didn't understand how serious it was so they delayed my MRI until that Wednesday. When my doctor got the results he called me and told me he didn't realize it was that bad and had me off my knee for several weeks. It was too late for surgery and I had to do conservative rehab. Since then I have gained 70lbs. Granted, I had a baby 16 months ago but still...that's a lot of weight. So I am very eager to get back to working out.

I plan on starting out walking only for the first two weeks. Doctors orders. And then adding light weights for the next two weeks after that. I bought a 4lb bar - very light, I know, but I am going to kill my arms with reps each time I use it. Then I don't know what I'm going to do. I love Zumba but the class I go to is really hard core. I am a licensed instructor myself (not practicing) so I know hundreds of routines. I might just start doing that at home for a month to get back into it.

I also have a membership at Orangetheory fitness. Anyone heard of it? I put my membership on hold until March...that's also pretty hardcore - HIIT on the treadmill for 30 minutes plus 30 minutes of weight training. If I stuck with that I would probably go 3 times a week at first.

I've recently seen ads on tv for Shaun T's new dvd set - Cize - which is another dance program (I love dancing, can you tell? I was a cheerleader in high school and on the dance team in undergrad). I don't know anyone who's tried it. One appealing thing about it is that it uses actual hit songs that are popular right now which I find very motivating!

But anyways, what are some of y'alls plans for working out post-op?

I love the Beachbody workouts, especially Cize and PiYo. I also take a weekly dance class where we do tap and hip hop. I definitely prefer the "dancier" workouts. I strained my knee a while back so I do need to wear a brace when I do Cize and hip hop, but as long as I'm careful I usually don't have any problems.

Sadly the fitness posts here get the least attention.

I started the couch to 5k program at six weeks post op the day I was cleared for full activity. I've worked my way up from complete non runner to marathoner. So basically I was cleared for full cardio at six weeks.

I don't do weights, I do yoga instead and added that in at the same time. So since I was just learning it was a natural gradual progression as far as demand on my body.

I tried body pump classes and Zumba at about three months out, but they didn't "stick" for me... But my guess is as an instructor you know how to modify based on how your body feels so I bet starting at six weeks back to what you love would be fine! Your base level was clearly much higher than mine to start.

Sorry I haven't tried any of the program's you mention so I can't speak to them, but hopefully others will chime in!

I love the Beachbody workouts, especially Cize and PiYo. I also take a weekly dance class where we do tap and hip hop. I definitely prefer the "dancier" workouts. I strained my knee a while back so I do need to wear a brace when I do Cize and hip hop, but as long as I'm careful I usually don't have any problems.

Haha thanks for writing back tapping mom. :) I wear a knee brace also - more like a strap. It helps stabilize things. The dancy workouts are the fun ones.

What do you think of CIZE? It looks really good - my dvd will be here Friday but my surgery is the following Monday so I won't be able to try it out until after I'm cleared.

Sadly the fitness posts here get the least attention.

I started the couch to 5k program at six weeks post op the day I was cleared for full activity. I've worked my way up from complete non runner to marathoner. So basically I was cleared for full cardio at six weeks.

I don't do weights, I do yoga instead and added that in at the same time. So since I was just learning it was a natural gradual progression as far as demand on my body.

I tried body pump classes and Zumba at about three months out, but they didn't "stick" for me... But my guess is as an instructor you know how to modify based on how your body feels so I bet starting at six weeks back to what you love would be fine! Your base level was clearly much higher than mine to start.

Sorry I haven't tried any of the program's you mention so I can't speak to them, but hopefully others will chime in!

Thanks for responding!!! Yeah I can see - my fitness post gets no love! Lol! It's all good! Thanks for writing though!

Wow - a marathoner! That's great! You must be so proud each time you cross a finish line!!! That's really impressive! I've tried C25K a couple of times but always stopped the first week. I think I might try it again and push through. It would be nice to run a 5K. The color run is in August so maybe I'll sign up for that for motivation.

I had my surgery in April of 2015 but wanted to wish you all the best of luck with your surgery and recovery.

Immediately after surgery I walked. Once I was cleared to get in the pool almost all of my exercise is in the Water. We have a pool at home so I spent the summer in our pool. When it turned too cold to swim outside I joined our local wellness center. I got a discount on membership because I got a referral from my PCP.

If you have knee or joint issues, swimming and Water exercise is a great way to get a good workout.

Hi inner surfer girl! Thanks for the good wishes! I have a pool at my gym and I've only taken advantage of it maybe twice. I've heard of the benefits so I'll definitely try it out more. I know it's supposed to be a good total body workout.

Haha thanks for writing back tapping mom. :) I wear a knee brace also - more like a strap. It helps stabilize things. The dancy workouts are the fun ones.

What do you think of CIZE? It looks really good - my dvd will be here Friday but my surgery is the following Monday so I won't be able to try it out until after I'm cleared.

I get a good cardio workout with Cize and Shaun T is a great instructor. I haven't been quite up to doing it yet post-op (I'm about 6 weeks), but I'm hoping to this week. It definitely kicks my butt!

I get a good cardio workout with Cize and Shaun T is a great instructor. I haven't been quite up to doing it yet post-op (I'm about 6 weeks), but I'm hoping to this week. It definitely kicks my butt!

That's awesome! Yeah he's really good! I actually just found a free sneak peak to one of the workouts for streaming on beachbody.com so I'm going to try it this evening. It looks fun. And yeah he is a great instructor - I have hip hop abs and I love it. Yay for being 6 weeks out! I kind of wish I could fast fwd that far ahead.

Just found this forum, I plan on walking at work or the gym for the first two weeks. We have gym equipment at work so I plan on lifting weights once I am cleared & then doing daily burn at night after dinner.< /p>

I am three weeks out and still very fatigued. No complaints other than that. I plan to go back to swimming as soon as all of my new little friends heal. I also joined a gym simply for the treadmill. Can't wait to get back to weight training. I was a trainer over ten years ago so looking forward to being better than that now.