Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Almost 10 years later

Not sure if anybody still checks in here but really, what a rare treat to read the 10 year out perspective. So no regrets? I seem to be going through a "let me look at all the people who regret their decision" phase in an effort to cover all basis but I'm happy to report that I've not really found anything to report so far.

@AdecadeLater I just found this post. Thank you for your confirmation that this procedure really does work long term. I will have my surgery around October, and I will think of all your success while I go through my journey. I too am a little freaked out about the not drinking during and after food.

Not sure if anybody still checks in here but really, what a rare treat to read the 10 year out perspective. So no regrets? I seem to be going through a "let me look at all the people who regret their decision" phase in an effort to cover all basis but I'm happy to report that I've not really found anything to report so far.

I did the same thing!!! (Looking for regret posts when I was preop). I never found much of anything other than the occasional person who misses a particular food.

What was interesting was that I found that Google directed me to some really old forums of sites that aren't popular anymore. It was so interesting to see people freaking out about stalls/mistakes just to see that their profile shows they ended up losing a ton of weight. :)

Best of luck! I don't think the will regret it. :)

Sent from my XT1585 using BariatricPal mobile app

I can't imagine not having restriction. Honestly, I think that if you lose restriction, your doctor made a surgical error. I am going to be very honest here. No reason for me to lie. I have totally "tested" this sleeve. In those bad times, I have tried to eat more than I should so it's not like I've been perfect with it and it still stays tight as a drum. It is about learning to eat quality food, and pass on the junk. Because your sleeve will always control your quantity. Do NOT allow yourself to fall into the habit of grazing. That is the only thing that will defeat the sleeve. But the good news is that you can fix that and the sleeve will still be there to help you control your weight.

Thank you. I needed to hear that.

HW 420
SW 347
CW 321
Sleeved April 10, 2017

If there is anything this site has taught me, it's that literally every single surgeon and nutritionist has a different plan The no carbonation thing I can see making some sense. I don't think it would stretch your sleeve, but I can see how it could cause gas and be uncomfortable, so more of an "as tolerated" sort of thing. I also think a lot of nutritionists tell people to avoid carbonation just to keep them from drinking soda, which is a bad habit to have whether you're sleeved or not. The sleeve just gives them a way of putting the fear of God in us about drinking it. Luckily I gave up soda many years before I was sleeved, so that's been a really easy rule for me to stick to.
I think you are right that not eating and drinking at the same time is one of the real keys to success. I noticed early on that as soon as I felt "full" my very first instinct was to reach for a drink. That's when it REALLY sank in that all those years that I had been eating an entire pizza in one sitting or whatever, what I was doing was washing food out of my stomach to empty it faster so I could eat even more. I used to go through 4 glasses of Water during a meal at a restaurant. Sure it was great for getting all my Water in, but it was also great for getting POUNDS of extra food in. Not drinking while eating lets me get the full benefit of my restriction and it is something I definitely plan to stick to forever.
I have found that I can take NSAIDS occasionally with food, but I wouldn't want to take them daily for any period of time. I usually only ever take anything if I have a Migraine. A couple of times I've had some sore muscles or strains and it's been tough to resist taking naproxin, but I've managed so far.
That potato thing is weird. I don't eat potatoes or an anything starchy post-op just because it takes up so much space and makes it harder to get my Protein in. But I can't imagine a valid medical reason for not have potatoes occasionally.

Ive never heard it explained like that. I knew I was using diet coke to wash stuff down but I hadnt made the connection to not eating/drinking after my sleeve. Now that I know WHY I am going to totally up my game there!

HW 420
SW 347
CW 321
Sleeved April 10, 2017

On 5/22/2017 at 10:40 AM, Sosewsue61 said:

@AdecadeLater I just found this post. Thank you for your confirmation that this procedure really does work long term. I will have my surgery around October, and I will think of all your success while I go through my journey. I too am a little freaked out about the not drinking during and after food.

I am a bit of a hypochondriac so I was inspired to read this as well! I have hope that a revision won't be needed and that I can keep my weight maintained!