Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Today is the first day of the rest of my life

Today was the first day of my journey. I started the pre surgery diet. This is the diet the doctor prescribed:

2 - 3 Protein shakes Daily - 60grams of liquid Protein per day.

Eat High Protein

* Baked/Grilled

** chicken

** Turkey

** lean meat

** Fish

* Fresh or steamed vegetables

* Fresh fruit

NO Carbohydrates!!!!

I did pretty good. I'm using my fitness pal to record everything I eat or drink. I'm over in Proteins but under in everything else. I've even met my Fitbit goal! Been a little crabby but trying not to aggravate my support system lol. My husband is my support system and he had his surgery on November 9th of last year. It's just he and I in the house. The children are all grown and gone. I'm so lucky to only have to worry about foods for the two of us, it makes it much easier than it could have been.

I've been trying to keep myself busy to distract from things. Consequently today is the day I started to learn how to use a sewing machine. I'm hoping if I keep myself busy then it will be easier.

I'm really looking forward to a new life but I'm also very very nervous. Self doubt, worry over the surgery, fear of failure just a few of the things I'm feeling. Tomorrow is a new day. Here's to hoping it goes well.

****edited

I just noticed that I never added my starting weight. Heaviest weight was 304diet starting weight is 297.8

Edited by RaptorWitch

So day two almost in the bag. Not too bad of a day. I was home alone all day and stayed sane and didn't cheat. I was worried since yesterday was a holiday hubby was home, today back to the grind. Hubby was so nice today. He stopped by the store on the way home and brought me pre surgery safe treats. Almonds, fat free refried Beans, ultra lean ground beef, and Jello I'm a lucky girl.

To keep my sanity today I walked a mile, biked 3 miles on the recumbent bike, and made 2 tooth fairy pillows. I also found a used bow flex online for $75. Guess who is going to have that bad boy to work out on come Friday. This girl!

Day three down and have woken up to a cold blustery day four. Got my bow flex yesterday. Very excited. I now basically have an in home gym. I have an elliptical, recumbent bike, total gym, and a bow flex. Because of my knees I have a hard time getting up from the ground on the total gym but, with the bow flex I can actually do weight training.

Day three went well. I went over my step goal. I actually was 755 over. Not a lot but a big deal for me. Having had one knee replaced and one knee that needs to be replaced I have a hard time with walking and not having pain. Right now I'm ignoring it and slapping a pain patch on. My hope is that with each pound I lose a little of the pain drains away.

I got 3 miles in on the bike today and went for a one mile walk. According to My Fitness Pal. I did really well on eating as well. I even made up a new recipe. Naked Burritos. I used 93% ground beef, rotel, fat free refried Beans, enchilada red sauce, taco seasoning, onions, and cheese. I layered it and baked it. It was seriously yummy!

Well on to day to day four wish me luck!

It's been a couple days since I've posted. We had a bit of winter storm here on the East Coast. I've done well on my numbers, I'm getting the right amount of Proteins and not getting the carbs and fats that I don't need. I am getting 74 ounces of Water each day. I will say that my enthusiasm is petering out. I'm doing the diet and exercising each day. When the weather is nasty and I can't go out between the bike and the bow flex I'm still moving. I was losing a pound a day but for the past 3 mornings my weight isn't budging. I'm trying not to worry about it. I'm following the lean kidney diet I was prescribed and not over eating and that is what I'm going to focus on.

So I'm 4 days from surgery and am in a who gives a shit mood. It started last night. No one around us knows that my husband had his RNY on November 9th (he's down almost 70 pounds I'm so proud of him) and I'm scheduled for mine on February 1st. We went out for our evening 1 mile walk last night. While walking we ran into a neighbor. First thing out of his mouth was "OMG John you've lost so much weight. You look so great. Every time I see you look better and younger. Great job with the walking". Then he turns to me and says (So what about you? What happened? Uh ah uh I mean you look great too. Keep working on it.). I was so PISSED. You know how you're suppose to think before speaking. Kinda forgot to. My response "F$&KYOUVERYMUCH". I turned and walked away. But every since I've been depressed. Don't get me wrong. I'm not upset at my husband. In fact I'm so very proud of him. He inspires me. I'm upset at the ass last night and upset over the perception. Mostly because it just hit me that that's the way everyone who knows us has been looking at us. I know I'm starting my journey and it won't be long before I start to transform it just hurts to know that all of your friends and neighbors have been looking at you like a failure. Done with my rant today.

Hang in there.Congratulations on your upcoming surgery.You are so honest and straightforward And I love it.

People say dumb ass** they just can't give a compliment and keep it moving...no filter ,no manners.

Don't you worry in 4 month you will be in a nice zone.You will lose weight and the comments will come.Some will still be dumb as well.It is great that you and your husband is doing WLS.Your time will come.

Keep me posted.You will be just fine.Say goodbye to your present because the future is a whole new story.

So it's the day before surgery. Lean and green diet had made me constipated. So last night I took a little MOM. Needless to say I'm not anymore. Day 2 of straight liquids and I'm peeing twice as much as the norm and I'm not blocked anymore. Between the 2 pretty sure I'm going to lose all my Water weight tonight lol. Emotions are a little more under control. Will maybe lol. Got my bag packed for the hospital. Packed Chapstick, toothbrush, toothpaste, mouthguard, brush, pony holder, brush, phone and iPad chargers, and deodorant. Think I've got everything. I've stripped off my nail polish from my hands and toes. I think I'm ready. At least packing wise. Emotions and anxieties are another thing lol.

So it's been about 7 hours since my last post and I just wanted to quickly post an update. I'm in full on B!&ch mode. Evidently 48 hours with only broth, Water, Jello, Popsicles, and shakes puts me in a really foul humor. So thankful I only had to do this for 2 days. But, I gotta tell ya I feel so sorry for my poor husband. I've tried to apologize for being in an angry mood but even that comes out sounding mad. Dude must be a saint to tolerate me.

So surgery was yesterday morning. In an hour and a half it will be officially 24 hours post op. I'm feeling great. Not much pain. I have only had pain meds twice. Once after getting to the room. I had some dry heaving which caused pain then I had a coughing fit in the afternoon which caused pain. But otherwise I'm living it up on Tylenol and ice packs. I went for a walk about 4 yesterday and just got back from a walk today. Granted yesterday was only to the end of the hall and back but I still moved. My wonderful husband should be here soon. Maybe he and I can go for a walk together.

I'm really surprised at my lack of pain. Having watched my husband go through this I really thought I would be in more pan than I was. Granted bending over doesn't feel great but it's not horrible either. I am having a bit of a problem taking deep breathes. When I try to it feels like my ribs are broke. I know it's just gas pressure but it hurts like the dickens. I'm coughing up a lot of phlegm but otherwise I'm doing great. Here's to hoping it continues this way!

Edited by RaptorWitch

So excited guess who may get to go home today.......this lady right here. Going home the day after surgery. So excited!

Take it easy and get plenty of rest.

I'm doing well. Getting my Protein and fluids each day. Just get weak and winded really quickly.

Day 16. It seems the pain I've been feeling is the bone at the end of my sternum. Evidently when they lifted my liver they bruised it. They said to expect this pain for a month or more. To make matters worse I can't seen to get rid of the gas. I walk and it doesn't seem to help. I tried gas X but....get this.....it causes cramping and gas. Crap right. I think if I could get rid of the gas and get rid of the bruising I'd be great lol

I enjoyed reading what you've had to say. Hope you're doing well, and you come back and let us know how things are going! I'm still waiting on insurance approval, so I find myself reading all I can here!