Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What is ketosis and how do you get there ? My doctor keeps telling me Protein first (60 grams) but I am not really losing weight. Surgery was 12/8 start weight was 230 now at second office visit 217. scale has not moved in weeks and getting crazy. I keep hearing about staying in ketosis ....don't know what that is or how to get there. Any suggestions ??? Have an appointment with nut on Monday.

First, you are barely one month out; the weight you've lost is very good and being in a stall right now is perfectly normal. There are tons of posts on here about the stalls (there is almost always one that lasts a bit around 3 weeks out) and how often it occurs. There's a great thread by Inner Surfer Girl about "embracing the stall" you should seek out.

Google can provide you with much better details, but being in a state of ketosis means you're eating so low carb, your body is using fat instead of carbohydrates for fuel.

Our bodies will burn carbs first as they are easiest to access and most people consume great quantities of carbs daily. When you switch over to eating mostly Protein and healthy fats (like olive oil, avocados, and many fats found in whole food like nuts and such) you can end up in ketosis pretty easily, and it is super awesome for fat loss.

What makes a carb intake sufficiently low carb is debatable; it could mean you eat less than 100 carb grams a day, or in some cases, less than 50 grams daily.

Eating low carb means you don't eat things like grains, bread, cakes, Cookies, rice, Pasta, potatoes, crackers. And if for some reason you do eat grains, it should be whole grain/whole wheat and things like brown rice. But rarely and small portions.

In ketosis, you'll notice feeling tired for several days/week while your body flips over to burning fat. It can also make your breath smell oddly (some describe it as "fruity") and you'll need to urinate more frequently. You should be drinking lots of Water in ketosis, which you should anyway after sleeve surgery. But once you are in ketosis, you'll burn fat and lose more weight and feel better once you make the changeover.

You absolutely should be tracking every bite of food that goes in your mouth in some form of app that can break down the amount of fat, carbs, Protein and Fiber and your total caloric intake every single day. This will give you a better understanding of what and how much you're eating and you can see instantly where you might need room for improvement.

Edited by FrankiesGirl

You can also buy Ketone Test Strips at your local pharmacy. You dip one in urine, wait 40 seconds, and match up the level of purple you get. You really need to stay on top of your fluids when in ketosis.