Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

B-12 Injections  

1 member has voted

1. 1. B-12 Injections

• Yes, i get them
    • No, i do not
    • I should be getting them
    • No, thanks ill stick to my supplements
    • B-12 uinj. what the heck are you talking about???

Ok, so i was looking through all my surgery stuff the other day (all the guidelines) and on there i saw i should be getting B-12 Inj. every 3mths..

Does anybody else have to do this??? :cry

I know i should because i dont want to be at risk for b-12 anemia :sick, but something about a needle going in my gluteus medias (upper butt) does not soud the least bit appealing. :eek:

Thanks

i got the lapband and they recommened that i get them too...

Jeni,

I got a B-12 shot and felt great after. With my pre-op lab work they said they did not think it was too low, but liked to see this higher, so they gave me the shot.

I just had my three month post-op blood work and fill find out tomorrow if I need another one. I hope I can get one. I was feeling really tired back a few weeks ago and felt that the shot had worn off.

I wasnt getting them and it was droping. About 3 mths ago my reults came in and they were very low and I was anemic. I went onto weekly shots for 6 weeks.

At the end of the 6 weeks it was fine again but each blood test I have had it has dropped a little again each time.

I think by next mth or so I will be getting the shots again.

I dont get mine in the butt, I get it in the uper arm...I wish I could bottle this stuff - the feeling I get in the days after is amazing. I actually have endless energy.

My PCP recommended taking B12 supplements orally. At what point should I expect my lapband doc or my PCP to be doing blood work to check this stuff? My PCP mentioned just keeping an eye on things, but the lap-band doc hasn't said anything about blood work yet, should I ask? You'd expect something like that to be included in the $15000 fee.

My PCP recommended taking B12 supplements orally. At what point should I expect my lapband doc or my PCP to be doing blood work to check this stuff? My PCP mentioned just keeping an eye on things, but the lap-band doc hasn't said anything about blood work yet, should I ask? You'd expect something like that to be included in the $15000 fee.

Most docs don't do these kinds of labs just because someone has a band. Most would see if you have any signs of problems and order them from there.

Bypass.. whole different story.

Its never even been mentioned to me, I dont take any supplements at all. I always mean to but I'm too lazy.

I had my 12 months follow up blood tests and was fine across the board apart from Iron, which was a bit low (and what woman of childbearing age does not struggle with Iron levels?). I should take iron and i have it but I just forget all the time.

i emailed my surgeon asking him what he thinks i should do and he said:

"B-12 shots are necessary for operations that

re-rout the intestines. For gastric

banding, you should just make sure your

multi-vitamines contain the full complement

of Vitamin B-12 on a daily basis. If you

decide to have the blood test, please

let me know what the results are. Thanks."

So im going in for regular blood tests in august,

so while there checking everything else i might

as well have them check the b-12... wouldn't hurt right?

</pre>

I take B complex Vitamins almost everyday just because I feel so energized when I take them and my heart rate doesn't go up with it. My doc never mentioned me being deficiant at all or testing for it. I seem to always be low on Iron though.

My initial aftercare doc suggested I either that a pill daily or get the injection. I asked my general practioner and she said that she didn't think the shot was necessary. She said to just continue taking the pill. Before I starting taking the B-12 she did a blood test to check my levels. I still haven't gotten the results yet.

My Doctor Prescribes Me A B-12 Shot That I Take Once A Month. I Give Myself The Shot In The Stomach. It Gives Me Energy That Last For About A Week To 10 Days.