Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can you lift weights

I am pre-op but have been dieting and exercising with weight lifting as a part of that routine. I really enjoy it, nothing too heavy but definitely lots of reps (25-50) 3-4 times each exercise.

Anyone know how long before you can resume cardio and weightlifting. And how did it go any complications, were things different?

You will need to wait until your incisions have healed before being cleared for weight lifting. The risk is that you will wind up with a hernia in your incision/abdominal wall.

You will need to wait until your incisions have healed before being cleared for weight lifting. The risk is that you will wind up with a hernia in your incision/abdominal wall.

Thank you, I will definitely wait for the green light.

Congrats on your strategy and incorporating weight training into things.

It can be fun and you'll love the results.

You're surgeon will have specific instructions for you.

Mine was fairly laid back with his sleeve patients. He said he'd send us home from the hospital with very few restrictions....just to walk, move and get back to regular living as soon as possible. He did say something about waiting until our various follow up visits to lift anything substantial. I think he even referenced lifting a bag of groceries was fine.....just not several at once.

Awesome that you've begun a routine that you REALLY enjoy! That's a huge part in your future success!!

Six weeks no lifting is the norm, but it depends on how you heal and what your surgeon says.

I am pre-op but have been dieting and exercising with weight lifting as a part of that routine. I really enjoy it, nothing too heavy but definitely lots of reps (25-50) 3-4 times each exercise.

Anyone know how long before you can resume cardio and weightlifting. And how did it go any complications, were things different?

It will depend if you will have a hiatal hernia repair, or not. With my sleeve I had umbilical and hiatal hernia repairs. Dr. told me to do leg weights immediately but no upper body work or lifting over 20 pounds for 90 days. Not sure of just sleeve only.Good luck!

I was prohibited form doing any weights at all for the first 3 months post-op. It will depend on your surgeon & your plan, so I would definitely ask if this is something you want to do sooner rather than later.

????ooh no, I sure hope he gives me clearance before 3 months I was already thinking 6 weeks was a long time. But I will follow his direction, what ever that is.

I was told nothing over 10lbs and no abdominal work for at least 6 weeks. My 6 weeks will be next week so hoping to resume heavier weights at that point.

After Sleeve surgery my doctor told me not to lift anything heavier than 10 pounds for a month. However, for the 1st month I could do cardio that did not involve my core (walking and stationary bike). After the 1st month I was told I could begin lifting moderate weights and add cardio involving the core like elliptical machines and rowers. After the 2nd month I was cleared for swimming and all types of exercise in moderation.

I am just over 4 months out from surgery and have avoided any injuries, even with daily exercise. My only exercise limitations at this point are related to some foot issues that are unrelated to the sleeve surgery.

My doctor advised me to wait 8 weeks post-op to begin lifting again. Walking is a great way to stay active. I'm 9months post op and lift regularly now.

P.S.- if you're able to lift something 25-50 times that's weight is way too light. Go up to a weight where you can do12-15 reps for 4 sets.