Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Post Op and keeping up with a toddler

I have a 2 year old and a 5 month old. I have my surgery in two weeks. I'm concerned about post op and being able to care for them. Meaning energy, lifting, lack of sleep.

Can anyone relate/give advice?

Edited by EP8

I had a super easy recovery....shopping day after surgery and back to work in seven.....so sleeping and energy wasn't a problem for me. But with a 20 pound lifting restriction for 3 weeks, that would have caused an issue. And my lifting restriction was a lot more liberal than most I hear about. What does your surgeon have to say?

I have a 2 year old, and a 1 year old. My mom had them at her house the first week and a half after surgery, then stayed the weekend with me, and now I'm all on my own (with my husband). Let me just say, that I'm not prepared for all the bending and lifting...i just physically can't do it. My recovery has been slower than some. I had a large hernia repair along with the wls so maybe that's why? I'm not sure. My surgery was December 29th, and I can't pick up either of my girls for another week. I'm not sure how this will go, but it is what it is. If you can... I'd have help with your little ones for at least 3 weeks, or until you can pick them up yourself.

I have a 2 year old and 6 months old. Was sleeved 12/21. My husband took 2 weeks off of work but by week 2 I was feeling great. I do wear out after working all day by the time the dinner/bath/bed routine comes around but I'm making it. My 6 month old is tiny so I can lift her and I was on bed rest for the last 3 months of my pregnancy with her so my toddler knows to crawl in my lap on the couch. I even have him grab diapers out his room and climb up on my bed with them so I can change him without lifting. My husband actually went out of town for a week last week and although I felt great all week when he got home I had a bit of a set back...it's like it all caught up with me and I was tired and sore from probably overdoing it. But honestly it's been a lot easier than I thought! I was worried about the kids and my recovery too! Ps take lots of double stroller walks post op. By 2 days post op I was walking at least a mile with the stroller---kids got some outside time and the stroller was kind of a support for me to hang on!

Thanks ladies!!