Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So, a few of us have expressed a fear or apprehension when flying.

Could you give us some tips and some "this is normal don't worry/freak out" ???

Fear of flying has come up on these hoards due to people flying to Mexico or other destinations for surgery.

I have actually taken to reading some flight attendant blogs and watching FA videos on YouTube after a recent holiday flight with some yucky unexpected turbulence. The FA on that flight was great and reassuring when I was a tad tense so I figured if they can do this every day, multiple times a day I can too!

Maybe it's just my personality and being a Nurse I don't like not being in control. ????✈️

Edited by Nurse_Lenora

So what are the tips?

Whenever I'm going to fly, the first thing I do is say a prayer. (If religious, or just meditate and relax if not religious). This helps me focus and realize that whatever happens is out of my control. I like to take something with me to distract myself. Kindle, books, ipod,ipad, anything to focus on besides the flight. I prefer headphones and a movie. I bring gum to keep my mouth busy if I get nervous. Those are some of my "get through" things. Most of all, I remind myself WHY I am flying and the excitement usually overtakes the fear.

I agree, I always joke that when we hit turbulence I start praying more than a Nun doing stations of the cross! (For non Catholics that involves a ton of praying...like hours worth)

I know turbulence is normal but sometimes I'm like ????.

Once on a flight to Charlotte from Chicago we hit bad turbulence and it was not just the up and down variety but right to left rocking and I WAS SO DONE!! hahahaha

I also watch tv or movies on my iPad or iPhone...strange enough I watch medical shows like ER. Things I can relate to! Lol

I'm afraid of flying but I do it because my love of travel is stronger than my fear :) That and I know logically the odds are very much in my favor that I'll land safely. But that doesn't stop me from getting scared during turbulence. I usually focus on the flight attendants' expressions. They seem pretty chill and they're serving drinks or talking amongst themselves like everything is totally normal. That makes me feel a lot better.

I also bring something to keep my hands busy like cross stitch or knitting and I listen to music while I work on a craft project. If crafting isn't your thing, you can try a puzzle.

I used to need Xanax to fly but I've flown enough that my anxiety is diminished enough that I can make it without meds.

I used to be the one who was always squeezing my partners hand. That above mentioned flight to Charlotte her poor hand was red ????

But since I have started doing research, reading FA blogs, and articles written by Pilots I am much better! Sometimes I am the one calming my partner! What a change ????

I think a lot of my fear stems from my mothers fear of flying and seeing that as a child sparked that in me.

My favorite thing to do in turbulence is to go "wheeeeeeeeee" real loud. It cracks everyone up and reduces tension.True story ;-)

My favorite thing to do in turbulence is to go "wheeeeeeeeee" real loud. It cracks everyone up and reduces tension.True story ;-)

Omg! Hahahah

If I ever hear that on a flight I'm coming In Search of you to say Hi!

This thread has gone from being apprehensive to funny...thank you! :)

there is nothing to worry about, flying is beyond safe. Tons more safe than even drivingh

there is nothing to worry about, flying is beyond safe. Tons more safe than even drivingh

Very true!

Hi there, My plan is this, I'm flying from San Diego to Tampa, all the way across the country and for me the big thing is comfort, I fly for Southwest and the seat pitch is tight for me, I'm 6'6".

I'm thinking if I travel on SWA then I'll ask to pre board because I just had surgery and then get a front row seat. A ) it's close to the bathroom, B ) more legroom C ) the ride is smoother forward on the plane, that's why 1st class is always up front. . Also on a flight of this length I will get up and move, just walk the aisle to avoid blood clots. The other thing is I'm looking for the fastest flight no long layovers. By the way I'm thinking of buying a 1st class ticket on AA it's $600 one way to come home,( don't really care about the way there) a cramped Econ class ticket is $3-400 so another couple of hundred bucks, I think you're worth it.

Obviously there is a great deal of fear/ trepidation about flying in general and turbulence in particular. Flying is, without doubt the safest form of travel, Southwest alone have 3800 flights every single day moving millions of people every year, and in my opinion are very good at it. My worry is the drive to the airport, avoiding, drunks, people on the phone, people texting or otherwise distracted, people who are lost and are finding their way, not to mention the plain dumb ones, we've all seen them.

The pilots are highly trained with a huge amount of experience, they go through annual recurrent training where they put their jobs, licenses and livelihoods on the line. As well as being a line Captain I am also a check airman, pilot police if you will. I spend 4 days a month in the simulator testing our guys and putting them through their paces, these guys are sharp and take a great deal of pride in what they do. I have absolutely no doubt the same hold true for the other airlines too. Our maintenance too is 1st class, no shortcuts no compromise just do it and do it right.

Turbulence is of course uncomfortable, we and I'm sure all the other airlines have tools to know where turbulence is or forecast to be, the pilots are constantly asking ATC for ride reports and striving to get the smoothest possible experience for our Customers. If moderate or severe turbulence is known or forecast along a route we will reroute the flight sometimes adding hundreds of miles to the route to avoid it wherever possible. The aircraft are designed to withstand huge g forces and can withstand incredible stresses. You may not enjoy turbulence but if you follow the directions, stay in your seat with you seatbelt fastened especially if the seatbelt sign is one you will be fine..promise. The pilots keeps their seat belts on all the time.

Hope this helps.

Edited by 737captain

Hi there, My plan is this, I'm flying from San Diego to Tampa, all the way across the country and for me the big thing is comfort, I fly for Southwest and the seat pitch is tight for me, I'm 6'6".

I'm thinking if I travel on SWA then I'll ask to pre board because I just had surgery and then get a front row seat. A ) it's close to the bathroom, B ) more legroom C ) the ride is smoother forward on the plane, that's why 1st class is always up front. . Also on a flight of this length I will get up and move, just walk the aisle to avoid blood clots. The other thing is I'm looking for the fastest flight no long layovers. By the way I'm thinking of buying a 1st class ticket on AA it's $600 one way to come home,( don't really care about the way there) a cramped Econ class ticket is $3-400 so another couple of hundred bucks, I think you're worth it.

Obviously there is a great deal of fear/ trepidation about flying in general and turbulence in particular. Flying is, without doubt the safest form of travel, Southwest alone have 3800 flights every single day moving millions of people every year, and in my opinion are very good at it. My worry is the drive to the airport, avoiding, drunks, people on the phone, people texting or otherwise distracted, people who are lost and are finding their way, not to mention the plain dumb ones, we've all seen them.

The pilots are highly trained with a huge amount of experience, they go through annual recurrent training where they put their jobs, licenses and livelihoods on the line. As well as being a line Captain I am also a check airman, pilot police if you will. I spend 4 days a month in the simulator testing our guys and putting them through their paces, these guys are sharp and take a great deal of pride in what they do. I have absolutely no doubt the same hold true for the other airlines too. Our maintenance too is 1st class, no shortcuts no compromise just do it and do it right.

Turbulence is of course uncomfortable, we and I'm sure all the other airlines have tools to know where turbulence is or forecast to be, the pilots are constantly asking ATC for ride reports and striving to get the smoothest possible experience for our Customers. If moderate or severe turbulence is known or forecast along a route we will reroute the flight sometimes adding hundreds of miles to the route to avoid it wherever possible. The aircraft are designed to withstand huge g forces and can withstand incredible stresses. You may not enjoy turbulence but if you follow the directions, stay in your seat with you seatbelt fastened especially if the seatbelt sign is one you will be fine..promise. The pilots keeps their seat belts on all the time.

Hope this helps.

Thank you! That was very helpful!

After posting this thread I actually started watching " Air Disasters" I am sure you have probably heard of the show and funny enough it has helped me to feel better about flying. I guess its the feeling of well that problem we are aware of and it will not happen again type thing.

So, when I fly in a few weeks I will keep this post in mind! Thank you for the reassurance.

How is your weight loss journey coming along??

Nurse, I'm glad it helped a little. I just booked flights to San Diego surgery on 3/8