Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

It is interesting that that was her first post.

I noticed the same thing.

I just put in a call to Dr. Ortiz. He's not even on call tonight so no clue if he'll get the message I left for him. If this is another patient coordinator this needs to come to a freak'en stop once and for all.

This is supposed to be a support board, not one to use for freebie advertising by patient coordinators. Patient coordinators need to go back under their rocks where they belong and leave this board to banded folks or folks researching WLS options.

I just received a call back from Dr. Ortiz. Considering he had no idea why I was calling and I'm not even his patient and he returned my phone call this fast on a Sunday evening, I'd say he's paying attention to his messages.

He obviously does not know off the top of his head if he operated on a "Vicky" 10/1 but he is going to look into this and let us know.

I'd be very interested to see if there was even a "Vicky" that Ortiz operated on 10/1. I have a hunch there is no such person. Hopefully, we'll soon find out.

If the story is true, it needs to be information that is known to others. If it is a load, it needs to be pointed out that this is how patient coordinators operate. They down other docs because their own docs don't have enough positive info to use in sales.

Wow Wasa, you're really on the ball. I would never have thought that someone would do something like that. It is very curious that this was her only post. That goes to show you that everyone need to do their own research before deciding on a surgeon in Mexico or the USA.

Wow Wasa, you're really on the ball. I would never have thought that someone would do something like that. It is very curious that this was her only post. That goes to show you that everyone need to do their own research before deciding on a surgeon in Mexico or the USA.

Some people will stoop to *any* low to suck up someone's hard earned money.

As I have written on other threads, I have no problem with patient coordinators. They are doing a job and they can be pretty darn good at their job of teaching patients what they need to know. The people I have a problem with are the liars who don't tell you the reason they are pushing you to go to their doc is because they are making a commission if they talk you into going to their doc.

Those people are the scum of the earth taking advantage of people who are desperate to lose weight. They don't care if you are going to the doc that is right for YOU, they care about their commission. They are pushing docs with crappy stats and fake experience. Those are the people I think should suffer a life of being fat for the rest of their days.

I just received a call back from Dr. Ortiz. Considering he had no idea why I was calling and I'm not even his patient and he returned my phone call this fast on a Sunday evening, I'd say he's paying attention to his messages.

He obviously does not know off the top of his head if he operated on a "Vicky" 10/1 but he is going to look into this and let us know.

You mean to tell me that this doctor is going to give you information about one of his patients?! I certainly wouldn't want my doctor to give out my information to someone he doesn't even know! I wouldn't want him to give out my info to someone I know either unless he had my permission!

Getting the question back on track of whether Mexico is a good choice, you can't just interview the surgeon; you also have to be aware of the country and their standards that sadly fall far below strict FDA guidelines. I'm not sure if this new format deleted all the old debates about Mexican Bands, but keep reading and you'll find countless horror stories about patients banded in Mexico. Like myself, going in sounded fine, but I'll personally confirm the above "assembly line" post and can refer you to over 22 women in the past 2 years from this board alone that would beg you to continue your research before making a decision to be banded there (high volume erosions, unnecessary port replacements, misdiagnoses, near-deaths, drug overdose, gaping open wounds, incorrect charts, re-used surgical stockings & supplies, no aftercare, unanswered phone calls, misplaced hypodermic needles, overnight staff that can’t speak a lick of your language, contaminated surgical suite, inability to find American doctors to treat Band-related emergencies for starters.)

Yes, there are many happy Mexican customers, but you asked for information - now you know it's out there to find if you have the stomach to hear it. Be informed.

Good luck - I mean that.

You mean to tell me that this doctor is going to give you information about one of his patients?! I certainly wouldn't want my doctor to give out my information to someone he doesn't even know! I wouldn't want him to give out my info to someone I know either unless he had my permission!

It's not giving out private info if he ends up telling us he did not operate on a "vicky" on 10/1.

Nothing wrong with that in the least.

Getting the question back on track of whether Mexico is a good choice, you can't just interview the surgeon; you also have to be aware of the country and their standards that sadly fall far below strict FDA guidelines. I'm not sure if this new format deleted all the old debates about Mexican Bands, but keep reading and you'll find countless horror stories about patients banded in Mexico. Like myself, going in sounded fine, but I'll personally confirm the above "assembly line" post and can refer you to over 22 women in the past 2 years from this board alone that would beg you to continue your research before making a decision to be banded there (high volume erosions, unnecessary port replacements, misdiagnoses, near-deaths, drug overdose, gaping open wounds, incorrect charts, re-used surgical stockings & supplies, no aftercare, unanswered phone calls, misplaced hypodermic needles, overnight staff that can’t speak a lick of your language, contaminated surgical suite, inability to find American doctors to treat Band-related emergencies for starters.)

Yes, there are many happy Mexican customers, but you asked for information - now you know it's out there to find if you have the stomach to hear it. Be informed.

Good luck - I mean that.

Oh Lord... here we go again.

Are you suggesting these things never happen in the US? If so, you are sadly mistaken. You can go to a doc in the US or Mexico and if you don't do your research the results can be horrifying.

The better docs in Mexico did not get the reps they have by killing people and doing unnecessary surgery. They have been doing the band much longer than most US docs. I believe it is you that needs to do your research vs. making claims that you cannot defend.

I could say EXACTLY the same as you about US docs and hospitals and it would be true. Amazingly, the US is not better about everything and we are not better people just because we are from the US. Other countries have survived quite well on their medical care within their own country.

You are attempting to frighten people with the same information as yellow journalism. Making sweeping accusations that quite frankly, are not true.

Was, I also noted that this person just joined in Nov. So how does she know what was on these boards in the past. I was recently banded in Mexico and reading things like that can really be scary for a newly banded person. Thanks for throwing light on the subject.

The more patient traffic there is, the higher the probability for mistakes to be made. Probability and statistics. Who hasn't heard of the patient that got the good kidney removed? Especially here in the US where hospitals, doctors and nurses are overloaded with work. It's sad but ugly stories happen all over the world, and if we go by the numbers it's probably more frequent in the good 'ol

U.S. due to the higher volume of patients and understaffed hospitals.

Score wasa, research is the key word.

Though I am concerned about any doctor giving out confidential patient info.

:cry

Was, I also noted that this person just joined in Nov. So how does she know what was on these boards in the past. I was recently banded in Mexico and reading things like that can really be scary for a newly banded person. Thanks for throwing light on the subject.

I agree. I'm always suspect when a newbie comes here just to trash a given issue or topic. A whole country is another situation completely. :eek:

You know, medical malpractice premiums in the US are expensive for a reason. Medical malpractice is used quite often. Sometimes it's legit, sometimes it's not. But this person makes it sound like it is impossible to have safe surgery in Mexico and impossible to have an unsafe surgery in the US and that is just dead wrong.

The more patient traffic there is, the higher the probability for mistakes to be made. Probability and statistics. Who hasn't heard of the patient that got the good kidney removed? Especially here in the US where hospitals, doctors and nurses are overloaded with work. It's sad but ugly stories happen all over the world, and if we go by the numbers it's probably more frequent in the good 'ol

U.S. due to the higher volume of patients and understaffed hospitals.

Score wasa, research is the key word.

Though I am concerned about any doctor giving out confidential patient info.

:cry

Ever read people talking about writing on their stomachs:

NO BYPASS - BAND ONLY!!

They do it for a reason. Mistakes happen everywhere. Humans are doing the surgery and humans make mistakes. Just because someone is from Mexico does not mean they are going to make mistakes and just because someone is from the US does not mean they won't make mistakes.

Research your doctor regardless of country.

Everyone doing research must talk to Don Mills at Allergan. He is in charge of the proctoring program for the Lap Band. I spoke to him at length and he really did help me with my research. He also disproved something a coordinator from a very respected Drs office told me. So DO YOUR RESEARCH.