Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello Short C,

I'm also from Ottawa and am seriously considering Dr. Ortiz. Of course, aftercare is my big worry. Just curious, what's your plan for fills and/or if you're experiencing any issues?

Hey Short C can you pm me.I tired to pm you but for some reason it wasnt working??

I have some questions for you.

Thanks

Chris has something changed your mind about the Mexico experience? You seemed so positive before - I have some collegues who are struggling with making decisions on whether they should go away or stay at home. I personally am very partial to the SWLC in Toronto with 5 years of follow-ups and a culture of caring that is very evident in all they do. Everyone does have to make their own decisions though, and having all the facts is helpful.

Cindy

I was banded 7-16-07 in Tijuana by Dr. Ortiz. It was a fantastic experience. He runs a first class operation and it was great. I feel great and am losing lbs. daily. Cost wise he is middle of the road but I feel it was worth every cent.

Ditto. When I was getting banded at the Fill Centers there were 4 of us there from Dr. Ortiz and all felt the same way. The man has done THOUSANDS of lapbands. I could have done mine in the states but chose Mexico because of the length of his experience.

:)

Hi all, I will be flying back to MX for my fills. I'm lucky in that I drive to Tucson (3& 1/2 hour drive) Jump on a plane to San Diego and a car will pick me up and take me to Dr.Gonzales'. The ticket is 115 +48(taxes and stuff)

There is a fill doc in ABQ but that is a 5 hr drive.

There may be a fill doc in Tucson. I don't know what a fill doc charges and Dr.G is free.

For a couple of weeks I've been reading many posts trying to decide which Dr. to go to I have been saving for my surgery I'm self pay and cant afford to have it done here in the US so I 'm having it done in Mexico, I've heard many good things about Dr. Gonzalez and his team that they really do care and are very good with the follow up, that for me is very important , I don't want to be left on my own if anything should happen (knock on wood) but it is a surgery and you never know so I think that to have some one at least to give you advise and guide you makes a whole lot of difference. I dont want to feel that Im alone , I don't know about you but I've been like this all my life and for something so important in our lives I do need some support and just by reading other posts I know after the surgery there will be many more questions from me,(why do you think I ended up on this forum)I hope I can continue counting on your support...you all seem very nice people, and more important I think we all know what we are going through...

maddy, if for any reason they (Dr. Gonzales) feel you could have a problem they do the work at hospital instead of surgery clinic.

Chris has something changed your mind about the Mexico experience? You seemed so positive before - I have some collegues who are struggling with making decisions on whether they should go away or stay at home. I personally am very partial to the SWLC in Toronto with 5 years of follow-ups and a culture of caring that is very evident in all they do. Everyone does have to make their own decisions though, and having all the facts is helpful.

Cindy

Like others who went to see Dr. Ortiz, I went to him because of the length and breadth of his experience, the price and because of his reputation. The experience was fine - didn't blow me away, but was fine. he does lots of these , so there is a bit of an assembly line feel to it. You are ushered out the door the morning after the surgery, and dropped off at the hotel. Contrary to what the website says, there is no nursing care there. I didn't really need any, but it was not offered. Unlike other docs, including many in Mexico, Ortiz's group did not follow up with me - no email , no phone call. When I spoke with him yesterday (and he did very promptly return my call!) on a medical issue, and I mentioned the follow- up, he explained that they had made the decision (and I quote) that "follow-up is not cost effective." That made me feel like we are viewed as income sources more than patients. Just my feeling.....

Ortiz is a charming and experienced doc. Perhaps he is even number 1, as he claims. But it brings to mind a commercial from years ago - "when you're number 2 - you try harder". Technically I think that anyone who has been performing these operations for many years, and has done them in the thousands, AND has consistently good reviews here online, is likely to be fine.

If I had it to do over agin, I would still go to Mexico, but likely not with Ortiz. There are several docs who,like him,have done thousands of these operations and who appear to provide a greater level of overall patient care.... I have heard that DR Gonzales does terrific follow-up, does fewer ops per day, in part because they want to be able to maintain a high patient care standard... I have a dear friend who I am recommending go to see him.

just my opinion, just my experience

Like others who went to see Dr. Ortiz, I went to him because of the length and breadth of his experience, the price and because of his reputation. The experience was fine - didn't blow me away, but was fine. he does lots of these , so there is a bit of an assembly line feel to it. You are ushered out the door the morning after the surgery, and dropped off at the hotel. Contrary to what the website says, there is no nursing care there. I didn't really need any, but it was not offered. Unlike other docs, including many in Mexico, Ortiz's group did not follow up with me - no email , no phone call. When I spoke with him yesterday (and he did very promptly return my call!) on a medical issue, and I mentioned the follow- up, he explained that they had made the decision (and I quote) that "follow-up is not cost effective." That made me feel like we are viewed as income sources more than patients. Just my feeling.....

Ortiz is a charming and experienced doc. Perhaps he is even number 1, as he claims. But it brings to mind a commercial from years ago - "when you're number 2 - you try harder". Technically I think that anyone who has been performing these operations for many years, and has done them in the thousands, AND has consistently good reviews here online, is likely to be fine.

If I had it to do over agin, I would still go to Mexico, but likely not with Ortiz. There are several docs who,like him,have done thousands of these operations and who appear to provide a greater level of overall patient care.... I have heard that DR Gonzales does terrific follow-up, does fewer ops per day, in part because they want to be able to maintain a high patient care standard... I have a dear friend who I am recommending go to see him.

just my opinion, just my experience

Thanks for your reply short c. I started this thread looking for a doctor in Mexico to do my lap band surgery. Did my research, read up, called and posted. I decided to go with doctor Gonzalez. That was one of the best choices I have made. I feel started my weight loss journey on the right foot. Doctor G and his team live up to everything they promise. Through their phone calls and emails I have felt part of their extended family of patients. I have never been left alone, Laura or doctor G or doctor Valenzuela have been there for me every time. This journey is hard enough, their support makes it a bit easier. Thanks Laura, doctor Gonzalez and doctor Valenzuela, your care before and after surgery has made me a happier person.

short c

I am 2 B banded on Sept 11 by Dr Gonzales and I am so happy I choose him. Dr.V (his assistant) gives me the feeling that they really care and you are not some assembly line piece. Also Dr Gonzales does this operation for free (so many each year) to selected patients. He gives back and that puts him on the top in my book...

Thanks for your reply short c. I started this thread looking for a doctor in Mexico to do my lap band surgery. Did my research, read up, called and posted. I decided to go with doctor Gonzalez. That was one of the best choices I have made. I feel started my weight loss journey on the right foot. Doctor G and his team live up to everything they promise. Through their phone calls and emails I have felt part of their extended family of patients. I have never been left alone, Laura or doctor G or doctor Valenzuela have been there for me every time. This journey is hard enough, their support makes it a bit easier. Thanks Laura, doctor Gonzalez and doctor Valenzuela, your care before and after surgery has made me a happier person.

I'm so happy to hear you found a doctor you're happy with! I agree with finding a doctor that feels follow up is important. It's essential with a band! Luckily I've received great follow up care. An assembly line might be good for some things, but NOT for surgery! Welcome to the land of the banded!

I am getting banded on Tuesday of next week and I am getting excited. I am not nervous at all. Weird. I will check back in after surgery and let ya know how Dr. Lopez-Corvala is.

*yes I know there have been some bad reviews but I have researched them and feel they are not the norm.

Good luck to you all- I have come to see this surgery as a bit of a commodity. there are lots of docs who are doing this work and I suspect that almost all are very technically competent. I have come to believe that the difference lies in the patient care practices and philosophies that accompany the surgery.

Welcome to the land of the banded .