Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do bananas cause you to dump?/leg cramps

I ate half a banana this morning. I'm one month out. I'm having trouble with leg cramps at night and my NUT told me i could eat a mashed banana during this pureed phase. But i felt sick an hour later. I am trying to figure out why. Could it be the banana? Anyone else have trouble with the sugar in bananas?

I get asolutely ill from eating a banana. It's one of the few things I dump on.

There was a post about potassium on here earlier. A lot of people said the sugar bothered them. I started having to take a supplement.

Yes, the sugar in banana can definitely cause you to dump.

If you are getting leg cramps the first question would be are you getting at least 48oz. Of Water? If you are then a potassium supplement should help.

If you are not getting your fluids this will cause cramps as well as other problems.

@@Djmohr @@grandmaofone @@rte837

Yes, I get 60 Fluid ounces a day of fluids.

I guess I'll have to check into a potassium supplement : (

At this point, I'm afraid to stretch or move my legs in bed at night! Those cramps are so painful.

I LOVE BANANAS! : (

Is it because I'm just a month out, or will it stay this way, I wonder?

My PCP recommended magnesium for my muscle cramps at night. Do a little research online. I take a calcium/magnesium supplement - 2:1, at night and have had no more issues. Try this before potassium I bet it will work for you.

@@Djmohr @@grandmaofone @@rte837

Yes, I get 60 Fluid ounces a day of fluids.

I guess I'll have to check into a potassium supplement : (

At this point, I'm afraid to stretch or move my legs in bed at night! Those cramps are so painful.

I LOVE BANANAS! : (

Is it because I'm just a month out, or will it stay this way, I wonder?

i am six months out and still can only eat about 1/4cup of food per setting and I am still on the potassium supplements, but I just take it when I take my multi Vitamin and I don't think twice about it. I have really bad cramps at night when I forget so I will not be trying to go off of them anytime soon.

Try it again in a few months; things change over time. Also, try just 1/2.

@@Threetimesacharm

I start my calcium citrate pill at six weeks, on jan 11. Maybe that will help? I'll talk with my NUT again. Thanks!

@@Threetimesacharm

I start my calcium citrate pill at six weeks, on jan 11. Maybe that will help? I'll talk with my NUT again. Thanks!

We need Calcium but it is the magnesium that helps with the leg cramps.

Supplement called "Calm" at Vitamin stores.

The best concentration of soluble magnesium.Powder form.

GNC, ,Vitamin shoppe etc.Ask for it by name"CALM"

I was getting bad cramps too about 6 weeks postop. Doc checked my blood levels and Iron level was low. Once i up my dosage cramps went away.

Edited by Pinkpeonies1

Keep trying bananas every few weeks or a month or so. They no longer bother me and I can now eat a whole one. I will say the carbs on a banana are much higher so I don't eat them regularly, just once in a while but I love them.