Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

When did your fill kick in?

I am trying to find out why an adjustment wouldn't kick in for a week or so. I had and adjustment a week ago tomorrow and am beginning to feel more restriction today than any other day last week. Why does it take a few days sometimes? Anyone else have this happen to them?

I'm also slightly discouraged because I have only lost 10 pounds in 8 weeks. I guess it's better than gaining 10!

My first fill took a week or so to kick in but my 2nd fill was instant. Strange how this happens but it does..I have no idea why. Its also strange how somedays we have more restriction then other days. I was going to go have my 3rd fill but for the last week I have had major restriction so I'm not getting my fill tomorrow..just having a check-up

This whole thing of fills taking awhile to kick in has me totally stumped. I just wish I understood the physiology of it -- it has me scratching my head. Oh well, I guess I should just be prepared for it when I am (eventually) banded.

Hey Vic- don;t feel bad my loss is slow too since i started (pre liq 10-12/surg 10-26)- no fill yet but the scale is stuck 4 weeks out-22 lbs- what's uppie with that! and i am not really eating much at all- not sure what is not working- damn-trying to drink more water- think i need to start walking now- but it's so cold here in MI-

I don't know what is the deal with the restriction kicking in after a while. I had a fill done in october and at the beginning of this month I had scheduled to have another fill done. Out of the blue I got this unbelievable restriction. I don't know where it came from - and it was a month later. It's still there so I am assuming I just take a little longer than normak for the restriction to kick it. Go figure that one....I'm still scratching my head saying "Hmmmmm......" :)

I don't get it either. I had my first and only fill a month ago. Of course I had been reading all the fill posts here, so I asked the doctor, "how come it can take a while for people to feel restriction after a fill?" He shook his head and said, "that makes no sense. You'll feel it." Well, I didn't! Maybe conventional medicine doesn't have an explanation -- but then how come so many of us have the same experience, namely, waiting at least a week to feel restriction, or having it come and go for no apparent reason? This is one area where bandsters' experience seems to outpace research.

? This is one area where bandsters' experience seems to outpace research.
Yes, and as you go along, you'll find that this is not the ONLY place. In fact, most decent information about actually LIVING with a band comes from experience and commiseration. There seems to be many aspects of day to day banded life that docs are sometimes oblivious to. They read books and read studies, but to live with the band on a daily basis is not an exact science. Each case is very individual, but there are many things that simply have to be lived with. IE, menstrual/hormonal restriction, morning restriction, fills delayed reaction, fills intermittent changes - from morning to night, from day to day, stress related restriction, altitude changing restriction. I think our bodies are just very individual and what causes my esophagus to thicken up for a day may not be something any doctor can put his finger on or predict with any certainty. Maybe we didn't get enough Water in one day, so our band is less restricted? Who knows? Either way, these scenarios are actually rather common if you read very many personal accounts.

The band has been known to be called 'the fickle bitch' more than once. lol.

I got my last fill last Tuesday and it seems with each passing day I can definitely tell that this fill is going to be a good one. I'm so happy to report that as I have 43 or so more lbs I'd like to lose and at the rate of 3 bites of chicken breast and sweet potatoe (small small bites), that is most certainly bound to happen. :) Come ON 170's!!!!

My 2nd fill has been very good to me (25lbs in 3 months)..My weight loss started to slow down so I made an appointment 2 weeks ago to get my 3rd fill yesterday..but lo and behold after I hung up the phone from making my appointment, my restriction kicked in again and my weight loss has increased in the last 2 weeks. So needless to say I went for my appointment yesterday , did not get a fill but just a check-up. All I can say is these bands are so fickle! Restriction comes and goes like the wind for me! Everyday is a different day. yesterday restriction..today not so good restriction. Who knows why, all I know is I'm losing weight, my band , port, pouch are in great shape so I'm going with the flow. If for some reason my restriction is gone for the holidays, oh well, then it is time to adjust my head and let it do some of the work instead of adjusting my band. I'll cross that bridge when I get to it ;)

My 2 fills have kicked in for me right away. I was actually nervous about this last one because it was pretty tight. Not too tight, but tight enough that I had to relearn somethings about chewing and how fast I was eating. I'm not sure if I've just "figured it out" or if things have loosened up in there or what. Yesterday for lunch I had a salad with some chicken in it. I ate most of the chicken and left most of everything else. If I had to guess I'd say prolly 2 oz of chicken. It took me forever too. I know they say that you should stop eating after 20 minutes, but I just hadn't had enough food. It's really trippy on the mind to have to make sure to get ENOUGH food in the day. Anyway, last night for dinner I slowly ate a little bit more than half of a subway wrap with no problems. It was really good and I really wanted to finish it but I looked at it and knew I'd have a problem if I kept going, so I threw it in the trash. I probably could have put it in the fridge and had it for lunch today, but I didn't want to have to think about going back for it later.

Anyway, I think that's neither here nor there. Sometimes I get typing and I forget what I was originally talking about. lol

;)

Does anyone around here still suffer from head-hunger? I go through phases where I eat past being full. I'm such a lucky girl to have restriction even though I don't have a port, but I still eat too much at times. It's a phase thing. The last couple nights have been bad. I wish I was as strong as Blue Eyes.