Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Low heart rate

I had lap band placed a year ago in November. I have lost 55 lbs, which I am very happy with. I recently bought a Fitbit charge hr and have noticed that my heart rate is much lower than before my surgery. It regularly runs in the mid 50's. It doesn't seem to cause me any issues, just wondering if anyone else had this happen. I have read a lot about the lap band and its effects on vagus nerve.

That is a lower-than-normal heart rate, although perhaps you have become quite fit and you now have an athlete's resting heart rate. Rather than trusting the Fitbit, I'd look at any other symptoms: are you tired all the time? Are you easily winded? Do you feel dizzy? Do you pass out when you stand up?

And also, of course, consult a physician to get a "true" cardiac workup.

Yes, the lapband can fiddle with the vagus nerve, although you'd be hard-pressed to find a practicing lapband surgeon who will admit to this. (You'll find loads of former lapband surgeons who will confirm this, however.) Anatomically it is possible, as the banded area encompasses where the nerve passes down the eosophagus and upper part of the stomach. My lapband is responsible for my now lifetime atrial fibrillation due to where it sits on my vagus nerve. Sadly, for me, as I loved my band before it gave me complications.

I have checked my heart rate manually against the Fitbit and it is accurate. It causes me no problems, just made me curious. I had a cardiac work up before my surgery and no problems.

Edited by Wvcari

If you have been doing a lot of cardio a resting heart rate in the 40's or 50's is quite possible and a good thing. Basically you have strengthened your heart muscle so much it doesn't have to work as hard as it used to when you are resting. Mine is the same mid fifties and sometimes the 40's when I sleep. I usually do 6-7 miles on the elliptical over the course of an hour, 3-4 days a week. Along with the lower resting heart rate another effect of heavy cardio is your total cholesterol may be higher. Your good cholesterol can increase quite a bit which can raise your overall number, which is why your ratio is more important than your total cholesterol. Keep up the good work.

http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Conditions/More/MyHeartandStrokeNews/All-About-Heart-Rate-Pulse_UCM_438850_Article.jsp#mainContent

Edited by downsizingdebs

Since my surgery and the loss of 140lbs I have a very low heart rate. I run in the low 50s and regularly hit the high 40s.

I also now deal with positional low blood pressure. I have in fact passed out from this.

I have had a full cardiac work up and my heart is very healthy. My cardiologist told me I have nothing to worry about.

It has taught me that I need to move my hands and feet before standing up.

Also I should say it has nothing to do with exercise for me as I have been restricted to walking since June.

There was a thread about this topic some time ago and in talking with my Bariatric Doctor, he mentioned that this is pretty common. It is weird because I had high blood pressure before surgery and took propanol for it. I was removed from that drug about 4 months post op.