Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Had Gastric Bypass 1 1/2 months ago & I have gained.

Had my WLS on Nov. 11.15 and I lost like crazy the first 2 weeks, I know that was all Water weight. Then I would not lose anything up until a week ago and I gained 4 pounds and im just sitting there. I walk a mile a day and do Extreme hip hop step 30 min. every day. I am only eating soft foods at ½ cup 3-4 times a day. I am also 100% Vegan. I am getting in my water and my Protein. I called my Nutritionist and pretty much got no help. I am really starting to freak out, and of course I live in the mountains where there is no physical support group. Can anyone tell me if this is normal? Or has it happened to someone else? Am I doing something wrong or did the WLS just NOT work for me? Honestly I was losing more before I had the WLS, I lost 101 lbs on my own before :-(

Congratulations on your weight loss thus far. Pre-op and post-op weight loss both counts towards your goal and 121 pounds is significant. It is common to hit stalls during the "Weight Loss" phase and even gaining a few pounds during the process does occur. The three most important requirements after RNY gastric bypass surgery are meeting the daily Protein, Fluid, and Vitamin requirements. It looks like you are getting good exercise. Sometimes individuals after surgery go all-out on exercise, they convert some of their fat into muscle and muscle weighs more than fat. Thus they may experience a slight weight gain in the process. But your level of exercise does not appear too strenuous.

So let us look at Protein. Your daily protein requirement is satisfied by the protein you obtain from meals combined with the protein from supplements (Protein shakes and protein bars). In the beginning the amount of protein from your meals at a 1/4 cup per meal is so low that it is negligible. But as time goes on and your meal volume increases, the meal portion becomes important. The Protein Shakes that you are consuming contains calories and they can add up. So an important strategy as you progress to larger food volumes is to concentrate on meals that contain significant amount of protein so you can start to reduce the amount of protein shakes you take each day (and the calories these shakes contain). As my meal volume increased, I went for 3 shakes a day, down to 2, down to 1 and then down to none. When I hit my first stall, this was the strategy that I used and it worked for me.

I was thinking this could be a stall myself. I have experienced a few so far and while the sudden gain or maintenance between a couple of lbs is frustrating, it does eventually start coming off again. It seems like you are exercising quite a bit...how many calories are you taking in? I know sometimes I actually had to start taking in more calories to get the weight to come off as I was not eating enough and the additional exercise I was doing just made the deficit larger putting my body into starvation mode (per my NUT).

Being Vegan its kind of hard to get a high number of Cal. in but I'm getting between 400-600 I try hard to reach as close to 600 as possible. I do not take in any sugar of any kind and I do not snack at all. I actually have an alarm set for my meal times. I have not gotten in fruit yet because I do get dumping syndrome and I'm actually scared fruit will be to sweet...for anyone who has not gotten that..OH MAN :-/ I think the closest I get to sweet is unsweet soy vanilla yogurt and that seems to settle well with me. I have actually started lifting weights today, not to much but just trying to tone. But when that scale says I gained it actually makes me cry..I did not have a good experience with my WLS so to not lose is heart breaking.

This is not the end of your progress, it's just a bump in a looong road of mostly success. Stalls are frustrating and discouraging but they do happen. I recently stalled for almost a month, and I was super annoyed the entire time. But at the end of the day (or I should say the end of the year) when I take stock, I've lost almost 90 pounds in less than 5 months, and I thought that would never happens because of stalls. It all evens out in the end. Just keep your Water and Protein intake up, and maybe slightly reduce your exercise and see if that breaks it. As someone above says, a lot of exercise demands enough calories to sustain it, and if you're struggling to reach 600 you may be doing too much for your metabolism.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• KeeWee

It's been 10 long years! Here is my VSG weight loss surgiversary update..
      https://www.ae1bmerchme.com/post/10-year-surgiversary-update-for-2024 
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Aunty Mamo

Iʻm roughly 6 weeks post-op this morning and have begun to feel like a normal human, with a normal human body again. I started introducing solid foods and pill forms of medications/supplements a couple of weeks ago and it's really amazing to eat meals with my family again, despite the fact that my portions are so much smaller than theirs. 
      I live on the island of Oʻahu and spend a lot of time in the water- for exercise, for play,  and for spiritual & mental health. The day I had my month out appointment with my surgeon, I packed all my gear in my truck, anticipating his permission to get back in the ocean. The minute I walked out of that hospital I drove straight to the shore and got in that water. Hallelujah! My appointment was at 10 am. I didn't get home until after 5 pm. 
      I'm down 31 pounds since the day of surgery and 47 since my pre-op diet began, with that typical week long stall occurring at three weeks. I'm really starting to see some changes lately- some of my clothing is too big, some fits again. The most drastic changes I notice however are in my face. I've also noticed my endurance and flexibility increasing. I was really starting to be held up physically, and I'm so grateful that I'm seeing that turn around in such short order. 
      My general disposition lately is hopeful and motivated. The only thing that bugs me on a daily basis still is the way those supplements make my house smell. So stink! But I just bought a smell proof bag online that other people use to put their pot in. My house doesn't stink anymore. 

· 0 replies
    • BeanitoDiego

Oh yeah, something I wanted to rant about, a billing dispute that cropped up 3 months ago.
      Surgery was in August of 2023. A bill shows up for over $7,000 in January. WTF? I asks myself. I know that I jumped through all of the insurance hoops and verified this and triple checked that, as did the surgeon's office. All was set, and I paid all of the known costs before surgery.
      A looong story short, is that an assistant surgeon that was in the process of accepting money from my insurance company touched me while I was under anesthesia. That is what the bill was for. But hey, guess what? Some federal legislation was enacted last year to help patients out when they cannot consent to being touched by someone out of their insurance network. These types of bills fall under something called, "surprise billing," and you don't have to put up with it.
      https://www.cms.gov/nosurprises
      I had to make a lot of phone calls to both the surgeon's office and the insurance company and explain my rights and what the maximum out of pocket costs were that I could be liable for. Also had to remind them that it isn't my place to be taking care of all of this and that I was going to escalate things if they could not play nice with one another.
      Quick ending is that I don't have to pay that $7,000+. Advocate, advocate, advocate for yourself no matter how long it takes and learn more about this law if you are ever hit with a surprise bill.
      · 0 replies
    • BeanitoDiego

Some days I feel like an infiltrator... I'm participating in society as a "thin" person. They have no idea that I haven't always been one of them! 🤣
      · 0 replies
    • ChunkCat

Thank you everyone for your well wishes! I totally forgot I wrote an update here... I'm one week post op today. I gained 15 lbs in water weight overnight because they had to give me tons of fluids to bring my BP up after surgery! I stayed one night in the hospital. Everything has been fine except I seem to have picked up a bug while I was there and I've been running a low grade fever, coughing, and a sore throat. So I've been hydrating well and sleeping a ton. So far the Covid tests are negative.
      I haven't been able to advance my diet past purees. Everything I eat other than tofu makes me choke and feels like trying to swallow rocks. They warned me it would get worse before it gets better, so lets hope this is all normal. I have my follow up on Monday so we'll see. Living on shakes and soup again is not fun. I had enough of them the first time!! LOL 
      · 0 replies
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches