Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Home alone after surgery

I'm having my surgery in 2 weeks, on the 13th. I should be coming home that Friday. I'm worried because my husband will be home with me the day I come home but he will be going to work Saturday and Sunday. I'm afraid that I will need help. I was wondering how everyone who has already had the surgery handled being home the first few days..

I'm surprised they're keeping you in the hospital for four days. If this is correct, then you should be OK by Saturday.

I was hospitalized for two days and I did need help on the third day. But by the fourth day, I was able to fend for myself. I just got tired easily.

Everyone recovers differently.

Good luck!

I was in the hospital two days and when I can home my husband was there the first day and then went to work the next day. I was fine by myself at that point. I was mostly taking slow walks in between my constant sipping and frequent naps.

I don't think you should have any problems.

I had surgery on a Friday. Went shopping and Hung out with my sister sat and sun. I had no problems doing everything for myself. Travelled by myself via airplane on Monday. Drove myself home 5 hours on Tuesday and plowed the driveway when I got there. I live alone and was able to take care of the dogs, cats and horses by myself. Had one day of relaxing before going back to work on Thursday.

I had my surgery on a Friday, got out of the hospital on Saturday. My best friend took me to the hospital and stayed during my surgery then came back and picked me up on Saturday. I went home with her and stayed at her house Saturday night. I spent Sunday with her and drove myself home on Sunday. I wasn't able to return to work until Thursday, but I spent Monday through Wednesday in my house by myself. I didn't have any issues, the worst thing for me was getting up and down, especially out of bed. My right side was very sore so I figured out to roll onto my left side and to not try to sit up to get out of bed but rather to roll all the way over on my left side using the night stand to sort of do a push up off of to get out of bed. The other thing that caused me problems was getting up after I had been sitting for a long period - best advice I can give you is to get up frequently and move!

Kindle

Are you Wonder Woman? ☺️

Lol. I think surgery just "agrees" with me and I probably have a very high tolerance for pain. Was back to work 2 weeks after having two vertebrae in my neck fused. Was skiing by 3 months. Just last month I Had my gallbladder removed. Surgery at 8:30, discharged at 12:30, stopped at the grocery store and cleaned the house for 3 hours when I got home. My medicine cabinet is packed with expired pain meds I've never needed to take. I walked around with a broken back for 3 days before going to the doctor back when I was in college. Dunno but definitely not Wonder Woman.....my boobs are way too droopy!

I'm surprised they're keeping you in the hospital for four days. If this is correct, then you should be OK by Saturday.

I was hospitalized for two days and I did need help on the third day. But by the fourth day, I was able to fend for myself. I just got tired easily.

Everyone recovers differently.

Good luck!

Surgery is Wednesday the 13th and coming home Friday 15th so it's only 2 days. I would go crazy if it was 4 days.

Thank everyone for the input, I sure hope i have an easy recovery.

I was sleeved first thing on a Monday morning and home Tuesday afternoon. Never tool a narcotic pain med, Tylenol Jr worked well enough and is easier on the tiny tummy for me. My mom came to stay but all I really needed was a ride home from the hospital. I'd kicked her out by Wednesday and was driving on Thursday. Not everyone has the same experience so your mileage may vary. That was just MY experience. I didn't "need" her for anything while she was there, but she needed to watch here "baby" for a few days ;-) I did let my BFF come over on Saturday to help change the bed and carry the laundry basket. Probably would have managed that fine as well, but she wanted to help.

My hubby was here and helped but t b honest I could have managed as long as I didnt d too much. Was sore, windy and nauseous but not everyone gets this. Biggest prob was sleeping. Up every 2 hrs walkin round etc. just couldn't get comfy. Thee weeks in and now sleepin quite well. Wind is still a prob especially when I start eatin. Not back in work yet. Not quite ready. Find drivin can b uncomfortable and leaves me with a sore tummy

My sleeve was an outpatient procedure. The first 2 days were rough for me and I was glad to have my sister and friend with me. By day 3, besides being a bit weak, I was able to manage by myself.

Thank you everyone for your input.