Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi,

I'm new here. I am having RNY this morning. It's taken a year (almost exactly) to finally get here. I am 39 years old. 5'2 and as of this morning 220 lbs. I have been overweight my entire adult life. Never under 185 and my highest was 240. A few years ago I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes and I am insulin dependent. I've had a few episodes of DKA and have been hospitalized for those. I am so excited for this next step.

What I have been struggling with is no one wants to talk about wls. It's not like it's all I talk about but close friends/family seem to want to talk about anything else. Do any of you deal with this? I'm not ashamed of this choice. I know this is right for me. Frustrating.

Anyway my surgery is at 7:30. Starting to feel a few nerves. Wish me luck!

Good luck to you! Congratulations on your decision to have a new beginning. Enjoy this journey. Please keep us updated on your recovery. BTW good luck to as well for a speedy and uncomplicated recovery. You can do this!

Regarding the family and friends that choose not to talk about it. For the most part many of friends and family were and are extremely supportive. I have a couple of friends that are overweight who choose not to ask about my progess or even checked on me after my surgery. It's ok, I'm not the one to judge. I walked those shoes for a very long time....almost 20 years. This my choice to change my life, definitely didn't do it to persuade others. However, I would love to be able to encourage and support anyone who is thinking about having the surgery or who has had the surgery.

My surgery was on 10/12. At 5'0 even, my HW 248, SW 236, CW 207 and I'm enjoying everyday of my journey.

Good luck on your surgery and check back with us when you are on the other side. Let us know if we can be of any help.

Good luck!!!!!!!

Good luck!

Congrats on your surgery and best wishes for a speedy recovery. No one may want to talk about it now, but trust me once they start seeing the amazing results, everyone will be talking about how great you look. Plus you'll be astounded yourself at how energized you feel. It really is a second chance at life!

Good luck today!

If you ever want to talk, this whole Bariatricpal gang is here. I waited 9 months for my surgery and now I am 15 months post op and still talking about it.

Now I have everyone around me telling me I am losing too much. I am 1 pound shy of no longer being overweight and 10 lbs shy of my goal. People simply are not used to seeing me so thin. I am not used to seeing me so thin.

Everytime I go shopping for new clothes, I find myself shocked and talking about it again with family and friends. I probably drive them insane.

Thankfully they are very supportive.

You have a supportive group right here if you need us, simply read out. You can even message any of us directly.

Good luck today!

Thanks everyone. Such an amazing feeling having so many people on this journey also. I came home today. Boy the first 36 hours out were ROUGH! But this morning I woke up and a new day had arrived. Feeling so much better. It was a 2 1/2 hour drive home so that wiped me out and has me feeling off routine. Tried sleeping tonight but but woke up after a couple hours and here I sit. So so so relieved the worst part is behind me. New year, new me!

Good luck! You'll be fine.

Congrats on your decision and good luck on your journey. I understand the friends/family who are unwilling to talk. Some may not be educated on WLS, and have a mindset against it. The stigma of surgery- you know the ole' cop out. At least that is what my sister in law calls it. It happened to be a passing conversation in a general context, so she has no clue I had it done. Needless to say, I won't be telling her! And the three friends who do know, mention nothing. Even my sister has never asked if commented on it. Her only comment was "I hope it does what you want it to" in a snide tone. Yup. Conversation ended. At least my husband is supportive and understanding. At least with this forum, we are all losers! (Weight, that is!) ????

Hello everyone, just got into this part of /misg and I love reading the support and the immediate responses to people's worries/questions. I had my RNY this past Wed, 1/6/16. I am 59 yrs old, 4'11, and wgt165 when I went in. I have type 2 diabetes I take 9 Meds daily, excl Vitamins plus a cocktail of insulin injections twice a day and another single one at lunch time. Although, I feel like my butt has being kicked I'm doing well. To top it off they found a hernia during the RNY which they nipped. I am starting Stage 2 tomorrow morning, I'm excited and apprehensive but will hope for the best! I have to say that from the beginning to now, everyone connected with my health care has been excellent!!! My profound thanks to the Dr's and nurses????

Sorry forgot to say to all my diabetic readers that there's hope!!! haven't had the need for insulin for the past 3 days!!! Yeay!!!what's that after 8 years of needles????