Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

WELL....here I've been saying how well I'm doing and my pride grew too big, evidently! I just threw up! After feeling absolutely awful, let me add! I think I know why. I wrote on my journal that i drank my bottle of Water, but in reality, I still had about 5 ounces left to drink. I also wrote that I drank another Protein shake (carnation with milk and 1/2 banana in blender). It's getting late, 9:15pm, but I thought i better get it in, as I said I had. (I needed the Protein grams!)

So I had taken about 3 drinks of Water, then i went out and made the shake in the blender. It was a little too much for the glass, so i took a drink or two to get it to fit. Then rinsed out the blender container and brought my shake over by the computer. I had another drink, and noticed all of the bubbles on top of the shake from the blending. Soon, very soon I might add, I started feeling uneasy...and then just bad. I wondered if all of those bubbles were like carbonation? As I wondered, I was feeling worse and worse. I felt i might throw up, so went to the bathroom. I burped. Again and again. Like about 15 times. Didn't throw up. Felt a little better so I came back to the computer. But no, i was NOT feeling better and the last thing I wanted to do was drink water OR the shake..i couldn't! I sat in the recliner, reclined in the recliner, could not find a position that made my stomach feel any better. Then I felt like I might vomit again so went to the bathroom...and this time, I did!

I did feel better in a couple of minutes.

but OH MY~~~!!! This was the first time I have thrown up since surgery (Dec. 1). So why...did I drink too much, too fast? Were the air bubbles in the shake to blame?

I really don't want to repeat THAT again anytime soon....so I guess I need to slow down....not drink so fast....and do what I'm told! (Sip, sip sip.)

Ugh! The tool works!

It is common to experience dumping syndrome after gastric bypass surgery. Generally this happens once or twice and they you learn the warning signs and just learn to avoid it. For me, I would eat some food and all was well, then the taste of the food became revulsive. Sometimes there would be outward signs like hiccups. My body was telling me time to quite. But if I failed to heed these warning signs and I took a few more bits, I was in full dumping syndrome mode.

Since you are only a month post-op and not really into solid foods, I suspect what you experienced is not dumping syndrome. I don't think it was due to you drinking too much, too fast or with air bubbles in your Protein shake.

Also avoid eating just prior to going to bed. I noticed that if my stomach hurt due to dumping syndrome, it was impossible to lay down and try and sleep. I had to get up into a sitting position (generally watch TV) for a couple hours until things settled down.

I threw up a handful of times after my surgery and I always thought back and realized I ate too fast. It gets easier.

Yup, that is dumping and honestly it sounds like the dumping I get which is actually mild. I get it when I eat too mph or too fast. Or if I eat too much of something sweet.

On another note, is there a reason you are using carnation? They are so low in Protein and high in sugar. Add in the sugars from that banana and wham, your pouch is fighting back.

You might try Premier Protein ready made shakes. There is only 1 gram of sugar and a whopping 30 grams of Protein. They taste great especially chocolate, there is no grit and best of all there is no having to deal with blenders or shaker cups.

I used carnation for my pre op and they are very sweet.

@@Djmohr, thanks for your comments. I used carnation for my pre-surgical diet, too, and have just been used to using it, flavoring the vanilla shake with SF flavoring: carmel or gingerbread or whatever.. With the milk, it's 13 Protein grams, and it's less expensive than premier or pure Protein, although I use both of them as well. I like the variety! I had a premier chocolate shake for Breakfast today, on my way to seeing my surgeon for my four week check up. : ) My NUT suggested i add the half banana to the shake because I have been having nightime leg cramps.

Anyone else struggle with those?

@@James Marusek

hi james. If you don't think my above-mentioned episode was not caused by drinking too fast or from drinking the air bubbles at the top of the shake, what do you think caused it?

@@James Marusek

hi james. If you don't think my above-mentioned episode was not caused by drinking too fast or from drinking the air bubbles at the top of the shake, what do you think caused it?

For the first year after RNY surgery, the body does not process fats and sugars. That part of the stomach has been cut away. Therefore if you take more of these than you should it can lead to dumping. A can of Carnation Evaporated Milk contains about 24 grams of fat and 36 grams of sugar. A can of Carnation Condensed Milk contains about 30 grams of fat and 47 grams of sugar. Way too much post-op RNY.

Then again maybe you are talking about Carnation Breakfast Essential powder, which really does not have very much Protein compared to other Protein powders, so I wouldn't really call it a Protein Shake.

WELL....here I've been saying how well I'm doing and my pride grew too big, evidently! I just threw up! After feeling absolutely awful, let me add! I think I know why. I wrote on my journal that i drank my bottle of Water, but in reality, I still had about 5 ounces left to drink. I also wrote that I drank another Protein shake (carnation with milk and 1/2 banana in blender). It's getting late, 9:15pm, but I thought i better get it in, as I said I had. (I needed the Protein grams!)

So I had taken about 3 drinks of Water, then i went out and made the shake in the blender. It was a little too much for the glass, so i took a drink or two to get it to fit. Then rinsed out the blender container and brought my shake over by the computer. I had another drink, and noticed all of the bubbles on top of the shake from the blending. Soon, very soon I might add, I started feeling uneasy...and then just bad. I wondered if all of those bubbles were like carbonation? As I wondered, I was feeling worse and worse. I felt i might throw up, so went to the bathroom. I burped. Again and again. Like about 15 times. Didn't throw up. Felt a little better so I came back to the computer. But no, i was NOT feeling better and the last thing I wanted to do was drink water OR the shake..i couldn't! I sat in the recliner, reclined in the recliner, could not find a position that made my stomach feel any better. Then I felt like I might vomit again so went to the bathroom...and this time, I did!

I did feel better in a couple of minutes.

but OH MY~~~!!! This was the first time I have thrown up since surgery (Dec. 1). So why...did I drink too much, too fast? Were the air bubbles in the shake to blame?

I really don't want to repeat THAT again anytime soon....so I guess I need to slow down....not drink so fast....and do what I'm told! (Sip, sip sip.)

Ugh! The tool works!

Ok. I think I have this figured out. And I don't like the answer. :(

It was the BANANA! Do you know how I know? Because I had half a banana this morning (mashed) and I felt the same way. Not quite as bad, didn't throw up, but felt pretty bad. And i had bananas both times.

I guess I'm going to have to sacrifice bananas. :( And I love them.....

@@James Marusek

Yes, I'm talking about carnation Breakfast (low sugar). That was part of my pre-surgery diet (five a day) so I was used to them and have some of them in my cupboard, still. With the powder and milk, I get 13g of Protein but if I had unjury, it takes it up to 34g of Protein.< /p>

But if you see my post above, i think i narrowed it down...it's the added banana that caused the dump. It's happened twice, both after I had half a banana.

Sad...but that's the way it goes! No more bananas....

Yah not sure why your NUT recommended adding banana; it is the highest sugar/carb fruit going. If you are having leg pains try taking your magnesium/calcium supplement at night, I do and have had no more issues. Just make sure it is 2:1, two Calcium to one magnesium. This also will not cause dumping and has no calories!!