Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How to determine a goal weight?

My surgery day I weighted 233 already had lost weight from I started my pre bariatric program I weighed 257. I am current almost 13 months and I weigh 160. How do I set up a goal weight?

I would think your PCP could help with that determination. It would be based on your height, frame size, body composition and general health status. For sure I wouldn't rely on the standard BMI categories, which skew toward the low side and are often create unrealistic targets.

@@Sexy Granny sounds like you are doing great. Goal weights are unique. Depends on how tall you are, how much your body can/will lose, how you feel, how you look, your age, starting weight, build, and your desired result (and I'm sure lots of other stuff, too).

I decided to make my goal something that I can maintain without a life of severe deprivation (read less than 1000 calories a day forever). For me, I'm short, started at a higher weight, and 53, and carry most of my weight in hips and thighs. In theory, I would have loved to see 135 or 145 as a goal, but that's just not realistic for me. My BMI is 27-28, which is higher than I wanted, but I can't get lower. My doc said the majority of his patients would kill to achieve what I have. I'm in a size 8 at 165, and look and feel good there.

My Dr said shoot for 50% of weight loss but that it really depends on so many factors that it's hard to say.

Its kind of funny that the medical professionals leave setting the goal weight to the patient. When I asked about my goal weight my surgeon gave some vague answer (i.e. everyone is different), his nurse practitioner ran some numbers and came up with a best guess of 220, my PCP said to shoot for a BMI of 30, and I thought I would like to be under 200 (at least for a period of time). I trust my PCP since I have been with him for a long time and my current goal is 209 (BMI of 30). When I hit that number I will see how I feel and if its realistic to continue to lose weight.

I'd heard of this happening, and wasn't sure I believed it until it happened, but my goal weight chose ME.

I had thrown a number out there based on BMI initially. Once I hit that number, I decided to keep going to give myself a "bounce" range. I lost 9 more and without doing anything too differently, I just stopped losing and have been pretty much maintaining for the last couple months (give or take a pound or 2 of normal fluctuations).

My body apparently likes where it settled at 141-143. I would have liked to lose the remaining 6 or so pounds to make my loss an even 100 pounds, but that's just my OCD talking :P I'm thrilled with my results :)

I'd heard of this happening, and wasn't sure I believed it until it happened, but my goal weight chose ME.

I had thrown a number out there based on BMI initially. Once I hit that number, I decided to keep going to give myself a "bounce" range. I lost 9 more and without doing anything too differently, I just stopped losing and have been pretty much maintaining for the last couple months (give or take a pound or 2 of normal fluctuations).

My body apparently likes where it settled at 141-143. I would have liked to lose the remaining 6 or so pounds to make my loss an even 100 pounds, but that's just my OCD talking :P I'm thrilled with my results :)

Exactly my experience. Neither my surgeon nor my GP ever wanted to set a goal weigh--instead stressing the health benefits of losing even 10% of body weight and focusing on the "40-60% of excess body weight" idea.

I lost easily to 135 and here I sit. My goal chose me. I had some vague idea of being happy at 165 (the lowest weight I maintained for a period of time as an adult) or even 155 (lowest adult weight ever).

I always tried to figure this out as well, once I figured out a goal I was comfortable with that wasn't too much in my head I ended up passing it by. I agree, our goals end up choosing us sometimes. I was 248, goal 135 and I am at 122 right now. I always wonder if I should keep my bigger clothes just in case my body settles at a higher or do you drop and maintain or do you hit a low then gain a few until your body finds its set point.