Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey all, this is my first post on this forum, although I've been a member since my surgery day. I actually discovered this site 2 hours before I went under, good timing huh?

So I guess I just wanted to say a couple of things about my experiences with surgery thus far, and maybe people could share some tips/ advice. I'm only 6 days into surgery and I'm not having too many issues, at least not as many some other people have been I've seen on the forums.

The first night in the hospital was HELL, the pain was unbearable and I think I passed out a couple of times. By the time I left however, things were much better. At home, things were kind of more difficult. This brings me to my first question

My pain is focused on the upper left side of my stomach, has everyone else had this problem?

I did some research and I think it might've had something to do with a hernia that was repaired, but I'm not completely sure. 2ndly,

Gas pain is death itself! Good God, I never thought something like gas would be the source of so much pain for me. I tried to get some Gas X strips, but my doctor said I can't while on my puree diet. Anyone have any remedies?

Next is a strange one, but while drinking my Protein shake (namely the Protein Slimfast), when I'm about 6/8 done of the bottle, my mouth gets extremely dry and I get so fatigued I nearly fall out of my chair. The worst part is, my stomach is full, so drinking Water to quench my thirst is hard. Does anyone know why this happens? If so, how can I prevent nap time when I eat?

Thanks in Advance Guys! I'm really appreciating this forum.

TL;DR: Read The Bold

Hey all, this is my first post on this forum, although I've been a member since my surgery day. I actually discovered this site 2 hours before I went under, good timing huh?

So I guess I just wanted to say a couple of things about my experiences with surgery thus far, and maybe people could share some tips/ advice. I'm only 6 days into surgery and I'm not having too many issues, at least not as many some other people have been I've seen on the forums.

The first night in the hospital was HELL, the pain was unbearable and I think I passed out a couple of times. By the time I left however, things were much better. At home, things were kind of more difficult. This brings me to my first question

My pain is focused on the upper left side of my stomach, has everyone else had this problem?

I did some research and I think it might've had something to do with a hernia that was repaired, but I'm not completely sure. 2ndly,

Gas pain is death itself! Good God, I never thought something like gas would be the source of so much pain for me. I tried to get some Gas X strips, but my doctor said I can't while on my puree diet. Anyone have any remedies?

Next is a strange one, but while drinking my Protein shake (namely the Protein Slimfast), when I'm about 6/8 done of the bottle, my mouth gets extremely dry and I get so fatigued I nearly fall out of my chair. The worst part is, my stomach is full, so drinking Water to quench my thirst is hard. Does anyone know why this happens? If so, how can I prevent nap time when I eat?

Thanks in Advance Guys! I'm really appreciating this forum.

TL;DR: Read The Bold

Welcome to the site. This is a great place for support, information and inspiration. I'll try to answer what I can but I am sure there are others that may have more insight.

As far as pain being on your upper left side it might be due to the hernia repair and it also might be due to the incisions. I have heard that some people have soreness on that side because that is where the largest incision is located for some folks. If it persists, I would ask your surgeon.

As to gas pain, the only treatment I know is to walk and move around as much as possible. Some folks have also had someone massage or pat their backs (like burping a baby). I found a heating pad helpful, too.

I don't know what to tell you about your issue with drinking Protein shakes. At a week out from surgery I was pretty much sipping something at all times so I don't remember of any particular reaction. I just sip, sip, sipped. If you are sleepy, you may need to rest or take a nap. You are still healing from surgery so there is nothing wrong with taking it easy.

It is so important to get all of your protein and fluids in for healing. You definitely don't want to get dehydrated.

I hope this helps and you are able to get answers that will help you.

The best advice I can give is to: follow your program; focus on getting in all of your protein and fluids; take your Vitamins and supplements when instructed; exercise when cleared; and stay off the scale for a while.

Walk, walk, and walk to get rid of the gas pain. How much of the Protein Shake are you drinking at one time? I couldn't do more than 2oz in one sitting at 6 days out. Not sure about the thirstiness....but are you constantly sipping Water? Could you be dehydrated? Your pain sounds incisional to me....it will get better. Rest and good luck!

This response sounds like a "sugar rush". Often when people eat a high sugar item (especially liquid as it can absorb across the mucous membranes) and they have diabetes, pre-diabetes or insulin resistance they get a similar response. Does this drink have high carbs or aspartame (that your body can sometimes "experience" as real sugar)? Dry mouth and becoming very tired, fatigued or sleepy is often the response a diabetic (or similar) gets when ingesting glucose. Not sure if that is your situation. I would try a different brand or type and see if you get the same symptoms.

Edited by RuralNurse