Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Appology accepted!!! :confused: I think i can learn from you and others as long as the dumb questions that I ask are also accepted. Its a scary process that I guess we all go through at some point "to band or not to band" so those of us in this stage need to know as much as we can. Sometimes the infomation is scrambled cos some can eat certain things and some cant it gets a little confusing at times. It wasnt just you I was refering to but i really appreciate your nice appology I hope in future I can learn from your experiences with the band.:grouphug:

To go back to the hunger issue.....when you have the right restriction level the hunger does dissipate.

Hello! I'm being banded by Dr. McKeen in San Jose on Jan. 12 2010. How was your experience with him? He did not ask me to do any pre-op diet. Was it the same for you? And how long were you on liquids afterwards? I don't live in San Jose and I'm scheduled to fly home 3 days later. His office said I could fly in two days, but I've read many posts here about not flying right away, wondered if you had any experience with this? Any tips about Dr. McKeen, his office, lap band day? And how are you doing now? Thank you SO MUCH in advance for your reply!!

Can't help you in regards to the individual Dr. but can tell you that I too flew on day 3 without issue. I live in a rural area, so to get to Mexicali where my surgery was done, I had a combined 5 hour drive then 5 hour flight. Actually the drive was split some before and some following the flight. I did it all with no pain meds. When we stopped in Phoenix, I took a dose of liquid Tylenol, as I had a killer headache following the flight---but no pain related to banding.

I paid extra close attention to moving regularly during both the flight and the drive, so it lessened the worry of blood clots. I should have drank more than I did, because my biggest issue was a day or 2 of constipation----but that was short lived, and was replaced with the opposite problem during my liquid phase! Liquids in=Liquids out. TMI, I know, but if it happens, it is normal!!

I did not have a real strong pre op diet, we were (my SIL and I went together for banding) on something like an Atkins diet. High Protein, very low fat for 10 days. Not difficult to follow.

Good Luck on your surgery! What a great way to start the new year!

If I can be of any help as you go through this feel free to PM me any time!

Kat - What did you mean by "no exercise plus steroids plus stress means losing 37 pounds again" How did your situation change? You were the one saying how well you were doing, right? I'm only asking because I get banded Jan. 12, 2010 and I'm already on steroids (prednisone) for rheumatoid arthritis, my exercise options are extremely limited (to Water exercise) and I won't be able to do that until I heal. This kinda concerns me...any input appreciated! -- Cherie

Hi CherieLynne~~

I was, and still am doing great with my band. I had a crisis....and amid it all regained almost 40 pounds!

I have a history of nausea with anesthesia. I had 3 surgeries in a year, only related to my band in the way that one of them was a TT. I also had a thyroid tumor, and an intestinal torsion. So due to surgery, I was totally and completely unfilled. I managed fine through that. Was unfilled for over a year, without weight gain.

Then my DD began having some issues with her outer ear swelling, and was soon hospitalized, with the most horrendous looking ear you can imagine. Her ear was Tomato red, and was so swollen you could not see an ear canal. There was an abssess, that ate all the way through her ear. They were caused because it would swell until the skin popped. The diagnosis come in with it being a cartiledge destroying disease....which is fatal, life expectancy is no more than 7-10 years. I cannot tell you the devastation. I was keeping her 4 year old, who was scared at what was happening to her Mommy, and my DD was, well, like you would expect a 26 year old to be that was just told she would never see her child grow up, and the disease would be disfiguring, disabling, then fatal.

The stress caused hives.....which would not go away, so they put me on high doses of prednisone, then tried repeatedly to taper it off, only for them to return.

They operated on my DD, and eventually sent her to a different hospital, where they discovered the disease was only a psuedo disease----she too has RA, and this illness mimics the disease, but is NOT fatal. Is usually no more than what she had, but hers had been mismanaged for so long, they expected it to be disfiguring, and prepared to amputate the external ear.

End of the story is happy, the meds made a HUGE difference. She had a PIC line at home for 2 months. But she has not lost any of her ear, only the lymph nodes below it which surgeons removed in diagnosis.

But.....I lived in the hospital, eating LOTS of ice cream, because it soothed my acid ridden stress related tummy----and also tried to soothe my soul.

I have not experienced hunger since being banded. But once the prednisone began, I was ravenous again!

I am off the prednisone, and have no hives. Nothing negative to show for the experience except for about 15 pounds now!

I NEED to exercise to get them off, I am just lazy about it. I could lose them just as well, by getting another fill, and eating less, but I choose not to go that route. I have a small fill in----less than 1cc---in a band that will hold 4cc.'s. But I do not have tight restriction, mild is good for me, I do not PB, but I cannot eat large amounts. I can eat roughage (salad) and meat, without issue. I can eat some bread. Mostly my portions are diversely different than pre band.

I think if I had more weight to lose, I would be more motivated, but I am really OK with where I am. I began in a 22/24 pants, and now wear either an 8 or 10....without elastic! LOL Everything I owned before had elastic everything!

I think since your body is used to the steroids, you are used to the things they do to your body----mine was not, and the hunger was so new, and I was so scared, I fell into old habits and tried to eat my way to comfort.....

You should be able to get back in the pool as soon as your incisions heal, and I would bet you will be able to add other exercise as the weight drops.

So sorry my post scared you----was not meant to!!!

Good Luck to you on your surgery---it was without a doubt the best thing I ever did for ME!!!

Hi CherieLynne~~

I was, and still am doing great with my band. I had a crisis....and amid it all regained almost 40 pounds!

I have a history of nausea with anesthesia. I had 3 surgeries in a year, only related to my band in the way that one of them was a TT. I also had a thyroid tumor, and an intestinal torsion. So due to surgery, I was totally and completely unfilled. I managed fine through that. Was unfilled for over a year, without weight gain.

Then my DD began having some issues with her outer ear swelling, and was soon hospitalized, with the most horrendous looking ear you can imagine. Her ear was Tomato red, and was so swollen you could not see an ear canal. There was an abssess, that ate all the way through her ear. They were caused because it would swell until the skin popped. The diagnosis come in with it being a cartiledge destroying disease....which is fatal, life expectancy is no more than 7-10 years. I cannot tell you the devastation. I was keeping her 4 year old, who was scared at what was happening to her Mommy, and my DD was, well, like you would expect a 26 year old to be that was just told she would never see her child grow up, and the disease would be disfiguring, disabling, then fatal.

The stress caused hives.....which would not go away, so they put me on high doses of prednisone, then tried repeatedly to taper it off, only for them to return.

They operated on my DD, and eventually sent her to a different hospital, where they discovered the disease was only a psuedo disease----she too has RA, and this illness mimics the disease, but is NOT fatal. Is usually no more than what she had, but hers had been mismanaged for so long, they expected it to be disfiguring, and prepared to amputate the external ear.

End of the story is happy, the meds made a HUGE difference. She had a PIC line at home for 2 months. But she has not lost any of her ear, only the lymph nodes below it which surgeons removed in diagnosis.

But.....I lived in the hospital, eating LOTS of ice cream, because it soothed my acid ridden stress related tummy----and also tried to soothe my soul.

I have not experienced hunger since being banded. But once the prednisone began, I was ravenous again!

I am off the prednisone, and have no hives. Nothing negative to show for the experience except for about 15 pounds now!

I NEED to exercise to get them off, I am just lazy about it. I could lose them just as well, by getting another fill, and eating less, but I choose not to go that route. I have a small fill in----less than 1cc---in a band that will hold 4cc.'s. But I do not have tight restriction, mild is good for me, I do not PB, but I cannot eat large amounts. I can eat roughage (salad) and meat, without issue. I can eat some bread. Mostly my portions are diversely different than pre band.

I think if I had more weight to lose, I would be more motivated, but I am really OK with where I am. I began in a 22/24 pants, and now wear either an 8 or 10....without elastic! LOL Everything I owned before had elastic everything!

I think since your body is used to the steroids, you are used to the things they do to your body----mine was not, and the hunger was so new, and I was so scared, I fell into old habits and tried to eat my way to comfort.....

You should be able to get back in the pool as soon as your incisions heal, and I would bet you will be able to add other exercise as the weight drops.

So sorry my post scared you----was not meant to!!!

Good Luck to you on your surgery---it was without a doubt the best thing I ever did for ME!!!

KAT - Thank you so much for the in-depth reply. Greatly appreciated. I'm guessing without the band you would have gained even more weight. What drugs does your DD take for her RA? Just curious. I think you're fabulous and would like to stay in touch with you. Work for you?;)

Cherie, that would be great, get in touch anytime. You will usually find me on the "Home Thread, Thread for the Homeless" or something like that, began as a shoot from another thread, now it is just a group of us who gather to support and gab!

DD takes 2 or 3 things, I know she said they just changed her to something called Humera....but I would have to ask her. She has been doing reallllly well.

Without the band I would have no idea how much I would have gained. It is a scary thought. Plus the additional 40 would have been on top of my original 289 pounds. Just reminds me how much I love my band!!! LOL

Hi there - I just happened to notice that we had the same surgeon. I was banded a little over two weeks ago and I see you are a vet...so I'd love to hear about your journey. So far I'm very happy with Dr. McKeen and I'm hoping to have my first fill next Tuesday when I see him. How did you find your experience with him?

To go back to the hunger issue.....when you have the right restriction level the hunger does dissipate.

I am sooooo glad I found your post!! I bot my band wed (5/12) Thur I started feelling hunger pains (which I haven't had in soooo long because I would eat before I was hungry) wasn't sure that's what they were though. Fri. my stomach was rumbling and as the day went on got louder and louder! I wasn't this hungry before the band. Today I keep drinking every 2 minutes and it is helping, but I was really worried thinking this is the way I was going to have to live, always hungry! Glad to know that this will pass!

One thing that helps me is to have a pack of gum in my pocket and a bottle of Water close. Curbs the appetite.

Best Wishes,

Cindy:rolleyes2:

Good idea. I'll try the gum. Thanks.

We will always be hungry if we don't eat. That's the bottom line right?

There is no miracle about to happen. You will be hungry but just fill up faster.

Hunger will never go away. If that were the case, you would die from malnutrition.

Common sense stuff....

Wow. Not sure how your post is supposed to help. I was looking for suggestions on how to handle the hunger. But thanks for the comment.

Unlike angermoms post, I have in fact lost my hunger. It did not happen immediately after banding, but when I got the first fill. My Dr. explained that the placement of my band must stimulate the nerves that indicate the full feeling.

I have honestly gone way too long without eating, but....I KNOW I must, and even with the physical hunger gone, I still have head issues where I think I must have XXXX (fill in the blank!! Depending on the day!). And even with the hunger gone, the taste buds are still perfectly in tact, so battle with the need to eat healthy vs. yummy!!! Not that it cannot be both...but you get the idea!

The biggest advantage to not starving all the time, is I am able to take time to make wiser decisions. When I would come in from work before, I was ravenous, and would begin eating, the quickest things to grab were a bag of chips, or Cookies, where with the hunger not there, I can take time to find something better for me....the panic feeling is gone.

Lack of "hunger" has in no way led to me being malnourished. It changed how my stomach feels, not how my brain works. I know I have a small little pouch to fill, so I do my best to fill it with dense, high Protein foods, not slider, or filler foods.

The fact that I do not always do that, is reflection of my old eating habits---nothing to do with hunger or lack of it.

On a normal day, my mind still tells my body it is time to eat. I KNOW I need to eat, even without the gnawing twist of hunger. Same as my husband knows he must take his heart meds, even without feeling anything wrong with his heart anymore---it is to maintain health.

There ARE days that I have to get up and run and do things, that I suddenly realize it is 3 PM, and I have not eaten! That is when I click, that the hunger is gone. I try not to let that happen, it is not good for your body. But neither was gorging it for years either---and I DID do that too!!! LOL

Right after my banding, when I was on liquids, I just drank what I could! I did not try limiting myself too much. I did not overfill my stomach, but I drank broths, often! I still lost weight, but did not go hours between sipping them! Same with the fuller liquids---I did not just eat them 3 times a day---I did small amounts frequently!

Then when I moved to a full diet. I ate a lot of almonds, they help with my desire for crunch, and salt (my weaknesses), they kept me full feeling for quite awhile.

And always LOTS of water!!!!

Good Luck---work with your Dr. when you can for your fills, they will make a HUGE difference!

Good morning all --

I'm scared: one of the main reason I am choosing the band is that all the literature and studyies I've read and medical types (doctors, nurses, nutritionists, etc) say that after the band, you are not hungry for 1-2 years. (which gives you time to form new habits, etc etc). But as I am looking at the threads here, I see a number of people who are post-op/banded within the last x weeks talking about how hungry they are. Have I been lied to???

:thumbup:

Band date 8/14

weight.png

When you first banded you are not hungry at all. You pretty much have to force yourself to get the fluids down. As the swelling goes down you get hungry. That's because your on the liquid stage. As you move up in the stages it a little easier. However until you achieve good restriction from your fills you will be hungry.

I had 4 fills so far. I'm heading for my 5th on Wednesday. I am pretty much at the sweet spot. I still get hungry but it's nothing like it used to be. I can go 4-5 hours without feeling hungry inbetween meals. Before I could literally finish a big meal and 2 hours I would be hungry again. Now it's hard for me to finish 5-6 oz at a meal.

The lapband is a tool. It's not a miracle. It's not going to take away your hunger. It's going to force you to eat better and alot less. You won't be able to eat like you are now.