Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gall bladder taken out after sleeve?!?!?

My surgion told me that if my gallbladder was bad she would remove it DURING surgery and she did. Along with repairing my hernia and performing the sleeve. I didn't know what to expect so recuperating from all 3 at once wasnt bad at all...

Can someone share what the symptoms of the gall bladder problem is, associated with WLS.

And, do we have a theory on what causes it? Is it not drinking enuf Water?

-RC-

My right lower abdomen started hurting after I ate and when I was exercising, sometimes when I was exercising the pain would work its way around to my back.

When I first went to dr about it I thought it was just my muscles righting and my body adjusting, after having it out and having only incision pain I know I felt it longer than what I was telling the dr. I kinda felt like there was something stuck under my ribs. If you think you are having any issues they send you for an ultra sound to look at Gallbladder, so I would talk with your dr. I wish I would have earlier because this pain (feels like a few days out of sleeve surgery, just hard to stand up from laying or sitting) is easier to deal with than the gallbladder pain itself.

Today it is just my belly button and right around it that hurts. I sneezed today and I didn't feel like I was dying so I believe it is heeling like it should just takes some time since they mess with your muscles when making the small incisions. I am hoping to go after CHRISTmas shopping today since I was so busy getting ready for my surgery right after CHRISTmas. I still have a little swelling but I have lost 3 1/2 pounds since surgery so I am sure most of the gas is out of my system now. I go on Jan 5 for my post op check and hopefully will get released to go back to the gym. I know I will have to start over and work my way back to where I was at the gym but hoping it will go faster since I was very active this time before my gallbladder was removed.

#timetogetbacktowhereiwas

#nomorepain

I started having gallbladder attacks 8 months post VSG. The most excruciating experience ever. Breaking my back and having vertebrae fused in my neck were a cake walk compared to this pain. Usually started under my sternum and felt like bad heartburn for about 10 minutes before radiating to my back and progressing to inconsolable, curled up on the bathroom floor, vomitting and with absolutely no relief for an agonizing two hours. I had 4 attacks over the next 14 months with absolutely no symptoms in between attacks. I kept postponing surgery because I never had any stones. Finally, after the last attack, ultrasound confirmed stones, so I scheduled my surgery to have it removed the day before Thanksgiving.

Turns out It was the easiest surgery ever. Into the OR at 8:30, discharged by 12:30. Went to the grocery store and puttered around the house for 3 hours when I got home. Thanksgiving dinner at grandmas the next day. I had to make myself lay low for the next two days and back to work Monday. Never took a single pain med they sent home.

The best part is I seem to be able to drink coffee again. Prior to surgery It was too acidic and gave me bad gastritis. I had resigned myself to being a tea drinker. But I 've drank coffee several times since with no problems. Yeehaw!

Can someone share what the symptoms of the gall bladder problem is, associated with WLS.

And, do we have a theory on what causes it? Is it not drinking enuf Water?

-RC-

Any rapid weight loss can cause gallstones. It has to do with the imbalance of cholesterol and bile salts in the gallbladder. Some believe it's also from the gallbladder not contracting strongly or frequently enough since most weightloss scenarios involve low fat diets. Many surgeons will put you on Ursodial postop to help prevent stones. I took Ursodial, and still developed stones. But I also have a strong family history of gallstones, so I was pretty much doomed.

Being overweight in general puts us in a higher risk of gall bladder disease. (Had mine removed in 96'). What also puts us at risk for gall bladder disease is the rapid weight loss. So our chances of not having our gall bladder go bad is slim to none.

Ok everyone, her is an update. Had my surgery on 12/29. Stayed in bed sleeping most of that day, but that was because I stayed up late cleaning the house and my home daycare room that night. The next day up at 6 to get kiddos and then took a nap when they did, I had someone here to cover me. Third day was a normal day, day care was basically empty and I was just having alittle pain as I was getting up or down. Went and got the stitches out on January 5 and he released me to do whatever. I picked up my grandson and was fine yesterday, last night I went to the gym and could do almost everything I could before. The stationary bike hurt a bit so I only did 15 mins on it. But I am doing good.

My surgery is next Thursday. I've prepared my boss, and I have someone in place to cover my desk. I will be out for sure for a week until my follow up appt. The nurse told me today that my surgeon will require at least 2 weeks off work, and my FMLA plan requires a minimum of 2 weeks of STD leave....so this girl is going to take off a month. Which works for me!! I hope it is as easy for me as it seems to have been for others who have commented. Then it can be another long vacation!

Holy cow, you are definitely looking at a vaca. Book your flight now! I could have gone back to work after 2 days. MADE myself take 4 days off. Hell, only took 7 days for my VSG. And a whole two weeks when I had two vertebrae in my neck fused. A month?! I haven't had that much time off since.....well, never. Have fun!

Unfortunately I am self employed. My boss sucks. :P (Although I did get a really good Christmas bonus)

Unfortunately I am self employed. My boss sucks. :P (Although I did get a really good Christmas bonus)

i run a home daycare and that is one reason why I had surgery over Christmas break!! I am to cheap to pay someone to step in, so my kiddos and hubby did:) I took my kiddos shopping and they got two shirts and two leggings for helping out. I am the worst boss ever!!! I had everything planned and in folders for each day, they just had to carry it out day of surgery:)