Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Christmas Morning Breakfast - What should I do

At this time I have not been sleeved and won't be until Jan 26th and that's not a huge problem but I have been on my lower carb intake for about 6 months and not doing to bad I lost 38 lbs and since my nut visits are over I have really just been cruising. Not trying to lose really but certainly not wanting to gain and I have been doing fine with that.

But here is my problem.............................

On Christmas morning a tradition in our family is to have fresh blueberry muffins and scrambled eggs. I know that I still want to do this on Christmas morning and I feel like a couple of fattening meals on Christmas day should not be a deal breaker. I am also working a deal in my head that says I will lose anything that I gain that day on my 10 day pre-op diet!

Help me out here.

I will probably be in the minority here; but...

I say if you want to splurge a little on the holiday that should be fine. As long as the holiday doesn't turn into a week long splurge you should be fine. Like you said, you have been building good habits, have lost some pre op weight and will probably lose more.

I eat "normal" food on holidays and special occasions and just get right back on track the next day and have been able to maintain. It's all about balance.

Congrats on your upcoming surgery!!

I think as long as you are able to be strong about Christmas being one day (not Christmas Eve through New Year's Day -- ONE day) you will do great.

I agree with both earlier posters!

moderation is the key!

Edited by jane13

Thanks guys, this is what I am thinking. On Thanksgiving I ate a little cheat but ate 1/3 of what I would normally have eaten. I didn't even cook most of the things we would have eaten. I plan on doing that for Christmas too. We are going to have ham and some kind of steamed vegetables and for my husband some dressing. Our dessert will be fruit salad.

What they all said! Can you make half the amount of muffins so there are no leftovers? Load the eggs up with veggies. I just got surgery approval 15 minutes ago...I need to take a breath....and I start my liquid phase on Sunday. I plan to eat festive on Christmas but we are making 2 dishes and not 12 like we normally do. Then back on to liquid only! My husband has been amazing since he is the one losing his tasty food!

I don't think it matters what you do on Christmas day.

:)

One of the things we learn on this journey is that what we do on one day doesn't matter much.

But it's what we do on MOST days that makes all the difference.

I'm 6 months post-op and at goal. My husband's family has requested that I make my baked French toast for Christmas morning Breakfast, to go with the egg & sausage casserole my sister-in-law is making. I'm planning to eat a little bit of the French toast along with the eggs and work it into my meal plan for the day, since it's a favorite of mine that I only have once a year. I'm also planning to take a nice long walk with my dogs in between the festivities to work off the Christmas treats!

The only thing I'm really going to miss this year is that I can't have my traditional shot of Bailey's Irish Cream in my coffee on Christmas morning. :(

Edited by lauraellen80

@@lauraellen80

Why can't you have a shot of Bailey's in your coffee? Does your surgeon want you to wait to imbibe?

@@lauraellen80

Why can't you have a shot of Bailey's in your coffee? Does your surgeon want you to wait to imbibe?

Yeah, my surgeon's plan says no alcohol for 1 year post-op. I have taken a miniscule sip of a fancy hipster cocktail my husband had ordered, and of champagne to toast a friend's wedding, but neither was even enough to coat my tongue, let alone swallow.

You have to learn moderation and modification in your new lifestyle. This will be a good trial. The best to you!

At this time I have not been sleeved and won't be until Jan 26th and that's not a huge problem but I have been on my lower carb intake for about 6 months and not doing to bad I lost 38 lbs and since my nut visits are over I have really just been cruising. Not trying to lose really but certainly not wanting to gain and I have been doing fine with that.

But here is my problem.............................

On Christmas morning a tradition in our family is to have fresh blueberry muffins and scrambled eggs. I know that I still want to do this on Christmas morning and I feel like a couple of fattening meals on Christmas day should not be a deal breaker. I am also working a deal in my head that says I will lose anything that I gain that day on my 10 day pre-op diet!

Help me out here.

Blueberry muffin and scrambled eggs is not a bad thing unless you go nuts with it. Have 1 muffin or depending on the size, have half. Don't slather it with butter, just put a bit on. Eggs I say go for it. It's a god source of healthy Protein and fat. Then eat sensibly the rest of the day. In other words, partake of the meal, but in moderate doses.

Thanks guys for not making me feel like I shouldn't even be thinking of a traditional Christmas Breakfast.< /p>

The truth is, this is going to be our lives forever and we have to learn moderation everyday but that doesn't mean food prison for life.

Thanks for the support.

The truth is, this is going to be our lives forever and we have to learn moderation everyday but that doesn't mean food prison for life.

That's a good way to put it!

It wasn't the special holiday meals that made me morbidly obese. It was me treating every single meal like it was a holiday meal that did it! It was eating huge bowls of cereal--or multiple donuts--for Breakfast, drinking high-calorie coffees, getting lunch (always with curly fries!) at Arby's, stopping at Wawa (the most amazing convenience store ever) on the way home from work for a "snack" before going home and eating a huge carb-heavy dinner, and treating myself to pints of Ben & Jerry's or Blizzards all the time!

I did very well at Thanksgiving--I had a little bit of everything but made sure I ate my turkey breast first, and though I did eat some leftovers over the next week, I kept it within my daily limits and stayed on track.