Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Down 26 Pounds in Six Weeks but Disappointed

I know... Every body is different, but, I really thought it would be more/faster. Aside from the obvious things: Protein, fluids, low carbs that I'm already doing, what do you fast losers do differently? Do you eat on a schedule? Have you lost enough weight to work out without hurting yourself? Where do your calories fall each day? What question am I not asking that will help me drop weight faster? Thanks!

I know... Every body is different, but, I really thought it would be more/faster. Aside from the obvious things: Protein, fluids, low carbs that I'm already doing, what do you fast losers do differently? Do you eat on a schedule? Have you lost enough weight to work out without hurting yourself? Where do your calories fall each day? What question am I not asking that will help me drop weight faster? Thanks!

Biology? I suspect it's just the way some bodies are hardwired. If you are following your doctor's orders then stop worrying about making things faster and worry about making sure you are learning life long eating skills. Besides the slower you lose, the better your body has time to adjust and you decrease your chances of having too much lose skin.

What do fast losers do differently?

Start from a higher weight.

Have a higher metabolism.

Any other number of things can contribute to rate of weight loss.

Comparison is the thief of joy.

Just follow your program. Focus on getting in all of your Protein and fluids, take your Vitamins and supplements as directed, and exercise.

None of us lose at a constant, steady, or predictable rate. This is not a race.

And, Embrace the Stall!

http://BariatricPal.com/index.php?/topic/351046-Embrace-the-Stall

Hahaha. Posts like this... you'd think I'd work up an immunity to them after over a year, but somehow they just suck me in every time! First of all, 26 pounds in 6 weeks? That's an average of over 4 pounds a week! That is VERY fast by any standard. So I don't even know why you are complaining. That being said, there is literally NOTHING you can do to control your rate of loss, beyond just sticking to your plan. Some people lose quickly, some people lose slowly, some people lose quickly then it slows down, some people lose slowly then it speeds up. You know what ALL of those people have in common? They lose weight!

I wish there was some way to impress upon you (and I know there's not because I actually was a slow loser and it took me a long time to figure out how to accept that) that rate of loss doesn't matter. It really really doesn't matter. You will get where you are going. This is not a "diet" and you will never be "done" so what does it matter whether it takes you 6 months or 16 months to get to your goal? Ten years from now will you look back and say "I really wish I'd reached goal 2 months faster"? Nope. It won't matter AT ALL. You will be happy and healthy and maintaining your weight.

I really was a slow loser. WAY slower than you. I "only" lost 14 pounds my first month. I "only" lost 8 pounds my second month. I "only" averaged 6 pounds a month for several months after that. And I "only" lost 2-4 pounds a month as I approached my one year surgiversary. And you know what? All of those "only"s still got me to my goal weight where I've been maintaining for almost 4 months.

@@JupiterinVirgo, because you're talking like someone who has the potential to endanger herself in the name of weight-loss, I'll skip the coddling. If improved health had anything to do with your decision to undergo surgery, you should be aware that you seem to have lost sight of that. When you wrote about wanting enemas to speed weight loss, you left out the fact that you've been losing 4 1/2 pounds a week. I think you would do well to alight on Earth, attend your practice's support group to discuss your thinking, and perhaps see a therapist who has particular experience with weight and body-image issues. Don't you want to lose weight in a safe, healthful manner?

Hahaha. Posts like this... you'd think I'd work up an immunity to them after over a year, but somehow they just suck me in every time! First of all, 26 pounds in 6 weeks? That's an average of over 4 pounds a week! That is VERY fast by any standard. So I don't even know why you are complaining. That being said, there is literally NOTHING you can do to control your rate of loss, beyond just sticking to your plan. Some people lose quickly, some people lose slowly, some people lose quickly then it slows down, some people lose slowly then it speeds up. You know what ALL of those people have in common? They lose weight!

I wish there was some way to impress upon you (and I know there's not because I actually was a slow loser and it took me a long time to figure out how to accept that) that rate of loss doesn't matter. It really really doesn't matter. You will get where you are going. This is not a "diet" and you will never be "done" so what does it matter whether it takes you 6 months or 16 months to get to your goal? Ten years from now will you look back and say "I really wish I'd reached goal 2 months faster"? Nope. It won't matter AT ALL. You will be happy and healthy and maintaining your weight.

I really was a slow loser. WAY slower than you. I "only" lost 14 pounds my first month. I "only" lost 8 pounds my second month. I "only" averaged 6 pounds a month for several months after that. And I "only" lost 2-4 pounds a month as I approached my one year surgiversary. And you know what? All of those "only"s still got me to my goal weight where I've been maintaining for almost 4 months.

thank you so much for this, very encouraging, I'm 3 months post op and lost only 20 pounds, everyone keeps downing me and saying it should be more, I rather it be 20 off then on ,so again thank you

I think that 26 lbs is great !! Keep up the good work!!

thank you so much for this, very encouraging, I'm 3 months post op and lost only 20 pounds, everyone keeps downing me and saying it should be more, I rather it be 20 off then on ,so again thank you

As long as you stick to your program: get your Water, Proteins, Vitamins, and activity in and the scale is trending down overall, then you will get where you are going eventually.

I am 3 weeks out and am thrilled that I've lost 13 pounds. When we get to goal weight and look back this will be a blip in our lives. The longer it takes the better habits I have formed. And my skin will have a better chance of snapping back....maybe LOL.

Rejoice that the scale is going in the right direction!

I have nothing to add but THIS THIS THIS ^

I think that is fantastic! I am "only" down the same amount of weight but have been out from surgery twice as long as you. I am thrilled. There is no way I could have ever lost this much in such a short amount of time otherwise.

One other thing anyone can workout with out hurting themselves. I started out over 400lbs. I walked regularly the first 2 weeks and returned to Water aerobics at 3 weeks post op. I take classes at my gym. The instructors are really good about correcting form and making sure we are doing things correctly.

It's funny bcuz of all the post I read, those who lose fast wish they were like those who lose slow so they wouldn't have the saggy skin. Those who lose slow wish they were like those who lose fast, BUT, they don't want the saggy skin. I am in a stall, lost 20 lbs 1st 14 days & nothing since & starting wk 5 today. If it means not having Saggy Skin, I'll wait. It's still better than what I was losing before, Nothing.

Thank you to all those who posted encouraging and kind comments. I think it's just a real shame trigger for me, when I don't meet my own expectations, and even when I do, if someone else sets a higher bar, I feel like I'm in some way falling behind. Blame it on being an alpha type! Lol. Thanks for laughin' with me.

I think that is fantastic! I am "only" down the same amount of weight but have been out from surgery twice as long as you. I am thrilled. There is no way I could have ever lost this much in such a short amount of time otherwise.

Thank you for helping me gain perspective. You, being thrilled, makes me realize I don't have to feel poorly about it.