Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Left sided pain

Hi there,

I am 5 weeks out and started having left sided pain two days ago. The pain starts under my left breast bone and radiates to my back, upper shoulder blade and slightly into my shoulder. I don't have a fever. I was just wondering if anyone else experienced this type of pain? I am of course wondering if it might be something more serious (leak?) as I was feeling great up until a couple of days ago when this pain started. Is this typical get increased pain at 5 weeks out?

Thanks for your responses ????

I didn't have that pain though I did have pain under my breastbone for several weeks but I. Believe that was from the hernia repair and from the gas they pump into you during surgery.

It's never a bad idea to speak to your surgeon about your concerns.

Hope you can get to the root of this problem.

It may be that left stitch pulling as it lets go. Mine took 4 weeks before it popped and I thought there were days I was just going to cry. It could be just getting bad as it gets ready to let go. If the stitch has already popped you can always talk to your surgeon or his PA. :)

Thanks for your replies!

@@MzB what do you mean "left stitch popping"? I wasn't aware this would happen. What does that feel like? I never felt a pop recently. Maybe though this is what is happening. I just feel bruised up and pulling inside.

Do you have 5 incisions? The largest being on the left side? This is where the pull the stomach out so it is the largest area they go through laproscopically. So when they tie things off (at least for my surgeon) there is one major internal stitch that is in that large left incision. It goes through the wall of the abdomen and for me at least it was a royal pain! I was sooo sore. Some people don't have any pain at all. To each his/her own I guess. However, when the ab wall is healing, the stitch gets weaker and can pull away from the wall some. I have heard of this being when some people felt pain. Then one day it just pops. :) for me it was just a slight popping sensation, for my friend she said a few cuss words because it popped on a sneeze. Like I said it is really individual. After it pops the world looks so much better. :) That being said, I am not your doctor and it never hurts to give the PA a call. That is what they are there for. Always better safe than sorry.

Yes I have 5 incisions. I didn't realize that they tie it off. Good to know I hope then I get some relief soon as the pain is quite uncomfortable. Not excruciating, but noticeable. Ah well, I guess it's all part of the recovery process.

I called my surgeon late this afternoon and left a message. I suspect I will hear back tomorrow sometime. Was just wondering whether it was normal. I had been feeling so good...maybe too good and did too much

Thanks again!

Yes I have 5 incisions. I didn't realize that they tie it off. Good to know I hope then I get some relief soon as the pain is quite uncomfortable. Not excruciating, but noticeable. Ah well, I guess it's all part of the recovery process.

I called my surgeon late this afternoon and left a message. I suspect I will hear back tomorrow sometime. Was just wondering whether it was normal. I had been feeling so good...maybe too good and did too much

Thanks again!

any time! I had your very same fears and some wonderful people here answered my questions too. Just remember to pay it forward when you see someone ask this same question when your a ways down the road on your journey. It will happen!

I am 7 months out and life is going great, but the first few weeks were tough. Hang in there.

Oh, and I found an abdominal brace really helped so the abs weren't having to do all the lifting on there own. ????