Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

when do you feel normal eating again (small portions still)?

I've been sleeved on dec 6th and I am in puree stage.

Today I ate a homemade Soup (sweet potatoes and some lean chicken), was seating like led in my stomach, like it is stuck.

I have trouble eating Protein, since all dairy and soy gives me an upset stomach (dhiarrhea and gas).

So I wonder, what can I use?

I am also hungry all the time.

My stomach can be heard growling....

I am regretting it a bit.

Wondering when I will feel normal again.

Lost 10 lbs already.

Thanks

D

I was sleeved on 12/11 and today I started full liquids. When I drunk a chocolate premier protien it gave me real bad dirrahea. I was fine drinking these before surgery, I hope my body justs needs time to adjust. I really dont know the full feeling and I havent been hungry at all. But just stay positive, we will get through this. :)

i am just now getting to eat pureed food... mashed potatoes, cream of wheat, oatmeal, applesauce. i have had a bite of chicken and it does feel very heavy. i dont think my stomach is ready for meat yet. i am not allowed to have it for 2 more weeks. i wonder what the difference is, i.e., why mine is so conservative. i know i have staples and glue holding my stomach together. does anyone else know what is holding theirs together?

First of all, are you on a PPI? Some of what you are describing as "hunger" and stomach grumbling could just be excess stomach acid. If your surgeon didn't prescribe you a PPI post-op, you can buy them over the counter (Prilosec or Nexium) at just about any drug or grocery store.

How are you eating chicken already at a week post-op? Are you at least pureeing it? There is NO WAY I could have handled food like that so early on. A week post-op, the most "solid" food I was allowed was drinkable yogurt and I think maybe cottage cheese? I was mostly on Protein shakes and strained Soups at that point.

But as for your bigger question about whether you will ever feel normal again, I promise you will! That was my biggest question and concern in my early weeks post-op too. I must have asked that question a thousand times. I dreaded that I would always feel uncomfortable and irritable and tired! I was worried I would never be able to eat like a normal person again or go out with friends. But, I promise, you WILL get there. Just be patient and focus on the day-to-day for now. Get your Protein and Water in. Walk as much as you can. And make sure you take all your meds and Vitamins.

Day-by-day it will get a little easier and easier and one day you will wake up and you will feel like a human again.

Hi

thanks for the replies, it helps me feel less lonely...

I started Clear Liquids at day 2 post op, ful liquids at day 5 post op and now at day 9 post op I am at puree stage.

I prepared a Soup with seet potato and some small piece of chicken breast and blended it to death,

Ate 3 tbsp and fell like led in my stomach for 2-3 hours (or maybe still feels like this)

I cannot have dairy (cottage, youghurt and millk) they gave me dhiarrhea and gas.

Neither soy.

I was eating very low qtys of dairy for the past year, so it is not new, just makes it more of challenge.

What else can I eat?

thanks

Yikes. Dairy was a big staple for me in those early weeks especially. I relied heavily in cottage cheese and yogurt. Without those options, I think you may have to do a lot of Protein shakes and things like Unjury's Protein chicken broth. It'll probably be a ittle while before you can actually handle meat of any sort. I remember the first time I tried tuna once I was allowed and it sounds like your experience with the chicken. It was like lead in my stomach after only a couple of bites.

Hang in there! Once you are onto solid foods, you will have a lot more options. But do try your best to get in your Protein Shakes at least for now.

At 6 weeks I felt closer to normal. At 3 months I felt like a normal person.

Your stomach growling is probably your intestines working or as someone else said, acid.

i super duper feel you. i was sleeved on oct 7th. i went thru the regret thing big time. still going thru it a little bit. there are certain things i just can't eat. but to be fair i think it's the WAY i eat too. i don't take "pea sized" bites or go that slow so that's prolly my bad.

and, like some ladies above, i was doing premier Protein fine for a while and then suddenly i couldn't drink it i got super sick, diarrhea and everything but now i can drink it again (after taking a little) break.

i too am hungry all the time. my stomach doesn't growl but i have the hungry feeling. that part really pisses me off cuz i didn't think that was supposed to happen to us anymore (insert annoyed face).

my biggest regret is that i don't enjoy food anymore. like at all. but that might pass.

you just kinda get used to eating certain things that your body responds ok to and go with that. but i have friends that are like a year out or more that can "eat anything" so who knows.

@@pr_pitbullgrl You're still only 2 months out, so you have a long way to go. At two months, I definitely couldn't eat anything I wanted either, and I was kind of where you are now with the whole eating because I had to, but not enjoying it thing. I assure you that it continues to get easier and easier and you will be able to eat pretty much anything you want to eventually. The problem there is making sure you continue to eat the RIGHT things and get enough Protein in. If you start swapping out Protein for carbs, just because you CAN eat carbs at that point, that will lead you down a bad path.

I am 15 months out now and I still ALWAYS put protein first. I eat a LOT of "bad" things now compared to what I did a couple months post-op, but I still always make sure I get my protein in beforehand. So, for better or worse, the ability to eat a large variety of food does come back. You just have to make sure you are really in control by then.

@@pr_pitbullgrl You're still only 2 months out, so you have a long way to go. At two months, I definitely couldn't eat anything I wanted either, and I was kind of where you are now with the whole eating because I had to, but not enjoying it thing. I assure you that it continues to get easier and easier and you will be able to eat pretty much anything you want to eventually. The problem there is making sure you continue to eat the RIGHT things and get enough Protein in. If you start swapping out Protein for carbs, just because you CAN eat carbs at that point, that will lead you down a bad path.

I am 15 months out now and I still ALWAYS put protein first. I eat a LOT of "bad" things now compared to what I did a couple months post-op, but I still always make sure I get my protein in beforehand. So, for better or worse, the ability to eat a large variety of food does come back. You just have to make sure you are really in control by then.

thank you. i hope you're right. i will say when i eat a lot of protein i get less hungry. but i am hungry pretty much all the time. i don't eat carbs at all becuz they feel stuck in my throat and make me feel icky.

i eat alot of fruit (no sugar added) and cheese. sometimes protein shakes. i will admit some days i'll eat very little. it just happens sometimes. but im never afraid of over eating cuz it's just not possible. nor am i afraid of carb overload cuz i can't eat carbs. i don't even eat vegetables at this point.

i guess i feel like it's been a long time but someone else reminded me the other day that two months isn't that far out, lol. im just taking it day by day at this point. i do resent not enjoying food. but maybe that will change so i can at least enjoy the 7-800 calories a day we get to eat.

thank you.

I would say put down the chicken and just drink chicken or beef broth for Protein. I wasn't allowed chicken or beef even if it was pureed until much further out than a week.

My surgeon doesn't worry about Protein intake until you're on regular foods at around 6 weeks. Especially if you can't eat soy or dairy. What about smooth Peanut Butter or other nut butters? You can also puree bean Soups, although I couldn't handle Beans that early.

I'm at 4 months out and I feel normal - although it is a NEW normal.

My new normal is to order a hot artichoke appetizer with celery sticks instead of chips, eat maybe half of it depending on the size of the dish, and take the rest home.

My new normal is half of a small chicken breast. One egg with cheese. Most of a greek yogurt. Four or five small meatballs or one large one. A three-inch piece of kielbasa instead of a 12-inch piece.

Edited by Sharon1964

p.s. you can try vegan Protein. i did. but it literally tastes like vanilla cardboard plants. lol

I'm only 4 days post op and am on Clear Liquids & Protein Drinks for one week. Next week I can add yogurt, Protein pudding & small curd cottage cheese. The following 2weeks I can add chicken & fish but it must be puréed. If your stomach doesn't seem to be handling what your eating, try this plan that I was instructed to eat/drink.

My surgeon does not care about Protein intake until week 6

Since i cannot eat most Proteins now

I had a very fatty liver before and could not eat fatty foods at all

This surgery should fix that over time but that's why I dont want to eat faaty foods

But your words reaal calm me down

It is nice to know that in some months from now I will feel normal again

I was sleeved on 12/11 and today I started full liquids. When I drunk a chocolate premier protien it gave me real bad dirrahea. I was fine drinking these before surgery, I hope my body justs needs time to adjust. I really dont know the full feeling and I havent been hungry at all. But just stay positive, we will get through this. :)

I was sleeved September of this year and I wasn't able to drink premier shakes or milk(prior to surgery I could drink both). I hope it changes so I can drink them too.. Have never hit my Protein goal since surgery