Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

You can try all the remedies that people talk about on this site and start them early. Some swear by them, but in my case, nothing helped. The 2 big ones seem to be Protein and Biotin. I was doing both of those even before my hair started thinning and I don't know if they helped or not. I am still doing both of those and several other things. My hair is baby fine and thin anyway, so I think I was doomed. At 7 1/2 months post-op I think it might have slowed down a bit. I would say I lost about 30-40 %.

I am 3 years out I lost alot of hair at first but it stops my hair is thicker than ever now, it does come back. My feeling is your body is in shock and I do think there is something to the anesthesia theory, but whatever the reason it does stop.:thumbdown:

You can try all the remedies that people talk about on this site and start them early. Some swear by them, but in my case, nothing helped. The 2 big ones seem to be Protein and Biotin. I was doing both of those even before my hair started thinning and I don't know if they helped or not. I am still doing both of those and several other things. My hair is baby fine and thin anyway, so I think I was doomed. At 7 1/2 months post-op I think it might have slowed down a bit. I would say I lost about 30-40 %.

like half- youre not bald tho- no one has gone bald right? Would you not do the band bec of Hair loss? Do u feel very self conscious- have people noticed?

I am 3 years out I lost alot of hair at first but it stops my hair is thicker than ever now, it does come back. My feeling is your body is in shock and I do think there is something to the anesthesia theory, but whatever the reason it does stop.:thumbdown:

Cna I request to be done without anesthesia> lol- does this happen by every surgery?

Some people have noticed, but I would think most just won't say what they think. I am still glad I got banded and hope my hair returns soon.

I have had 4 surgeries with general anesthesia and only had Hair loss now, so I think it is more the lack of nutrition. Suppliments are just not the same.

Some people have noticed, but I would think most just won't say what they think. I am still glad I got banded and hope my hair returns soon.

I have had 4 surgeries with general anesthesia and only had Hair loss now, so I think it is more the lack of nutrition. Suppliments are just not the same.

I did some research- hearing about Protein biotion nioxin silica zinc multivitamins... maybe if I become an obsessive vita person Ill be ok.. I just wish I knew HOW MUCH before I committed and was able to see pix of myself 6 months in... But life doesnt work that way.

It has happened to me with every surgery but not to the extent it did with the lap band but as I said my personal opinion is shock to the system from all things involved in it. But whatever the reason my hair is back.:thumbdown:

I did some research- hearing about Protein biotion nioxin silica zinc multivitamins... maybe if I become an obsessive vita person Ill be ok.. I just wish I knew HOW MUCH before I committed and was able to see pix of myself 6 months in... But life doesnt work that way.

I did all those things early on plus some..... didn't really help.

As in you lost a lot of hair anyway

yes, I still lost a lot of hair. That doesn't mean everyone will though.

I started doing all the things people list here at LBT and used Nioxin shampoo/conditioner, Nioxin vits., When it started coming out I even tried Rogain. For me and the type of hair I have it nothing worked.

yes, I still lost a lot of hair. That doesn't mean everyone will though.

I started doing all the things people list here at LBT and used Nioxin shampoo/conditioner, Nioxin vits., When it started coming out I even tried Rogain. For me and the type of hair I have it nothing worked.

oh boy- in your opinion as a result of weight loss, anesthesia or what?

In my opnion it was the rapid weightloss and malnutrition to a point.

In my opnion it was the rapid weightloss and malnutrition to a point.

Thanks so much- Im really hoping thats what it is as I dont meet the BMI and I wont be losing crazy amounts- as well as my adjustments will be spread out because of traveling etc Im hoping to suffer slightly less.....

I am losing hair. I am 9 months post op. I noticed the thinning at 5 months post op. I have always taken Biotin and I get a lot of Protein in everyday. I am on HBP meds. I think it is a combination of the HBP meds, stress and the surgery. I am a 3rd grade teacher. I am stressed because I have to prepare 20 kids for the state test. I just pray that the thinning will stop soon. I've always had a head full of hair. Now my scalp is exposed at the temples, nape and crown.

I also have the Joan Rivers hair makeup. It helps, but I am self conscience when I wear it.

Edited by 2911plans

i'm about 5 months out and just recently noticed the hair loss/thinning. i've always had super thick hair and i definitely started panicking when i noticed the thinning/loss. i'm a hairstylist so it makes me even more self conscious and concerned. i've been using Nioxin but just started using Alterna Life Volume Restore because its a better product than Nioxin, so i'm going to see if it helps more. I also take Biotin daily. I have hypothyroidism as well, so i don't know if thats a contributing factor or not. I'm glad i have been able to read others' stories here to see that i'm not completely alone in this