Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello Everyone,

I am currently day 6 in my pre-op diet. Days 1,3 & 5 I did cheat a little but I have a different diet than most. My diet consist of 2 Protein shakes 1-2 sugar free Snacks and 1 soup-low sodium/low fat non creamy. The last 2 days before surgery are nothing but Clear liquids.

I have talked to my doctor about my Soup choices and they indicated chili with turkey was actually an acceptable meal for Soup. I have read some people lost weigh during their pre-op but I have not. With the Protein Shakes, Jello and pudding in between, I am waiting for the dinner time for the soup and I have to drink about 16-24 oz of Water to fill full. It does not help that I work customer service listening to complaint all day with a headache. I sometimes find myself a little snappy which is not the normal case.

Does anyone have any good hearty soup choices? Campbell's is what I have been eating so far.

How is the pre-op diet going for everyone else? The main thing that has been keeping me from cheating lately is because I try to keep track of the ultimate goal. It is harder for me at work than it is on my off days.

lol i work in customer service too and these ladies love their food. thats what gets me im on day 9. i havent cheated once i am happy to say and am down 12 pounds. but omg i go crazy wanting food around lunch time when im here at work. Much harder at work then home. i drink two Powerade zeros a day. although i have had cravings for eggrolls, lumpia, pizza, chili and cornbread and a california burrito. I have survived my cravings. Surgery is Monday. Im super excited and nervous. and scared. Pretty much all normal stuff.

The thing is that if you aren't losing weight then you aren't doing the pre-op diet correctly. You also aren't shrinking your liver, which is the whole point of it.

The typical pre-op diet is as follows:

Week 1

Protein shake (2, Breakfast and lunch)

broth - As much as you want

Water/Sugar Free Tea/Drinks (excluding soda) - As much as you want

sugar free Jello - As much as you want

sugar free Popsicles - As much as you want

dinner is leafy greens and lean mean, such as chicken (non fried and not breaded)

Week 2

Protein Shake (3 times a day, Breakfast, lunch and dinner)

broth - As much as you want

Water/Sugar Free Tea/Drinks (excluding soda) - As much as you want

Sugar Free Popsicles - As much as you want

The pre-op diet if done correctly causes weight loss and will shrink your liver. Patients who perform the diet correctly get a jump start on their weight loss. I lost 25 lbs on my 2 week pre-op diet but I've heard from people who have lost 35 lbs or more. I would recommend checking with your doctor.

@ Amy Wolf,

You are so close to surgery, I am scheduled for Dec 17. I hope all goes well. Please keep in touch with after surgery to let me know how it all went. The nervous feeling for me has not kicked in, probably because I'm a week and some days away lol.

I didnt think to drink Gatorade. I can chug down about a 32 oz of Water (when added crystal light) in about 45 minutes but it requires a lot of restroom breaks.

The food for me is different, I know I'm hungry but when I pass a fast food place I become disgusted because that's what got me here. I have actually cheated with maybe eating Soup for lunch when I shouldn't have or adding more soup during dinner time. My fiance told me to add Water to the soup lol which drives me insane, the little flavor that is has is gone.

My sugar was down to about 50 and my co worker gave me some of her honey bun but i started to freak out afterwards lol

@Proud2BMe

I am going to call my doctor tomorrow on my day off. I really don't feel that I am doing this correctly.

I have spoke to a dietitian from the clinic who informed at the time of my Soup it can be whatever and high in sodium but that does not sound right. My main fear is my liver does not shrink and cause complications.

My surgery is Dec.17 and I think this is the last day for the year. I have only lost 1lb in 6 days . They told me to stay away from the scale but I can not help it.

not gatorade.even the g2 has sugar and calories. i use the Powerade zero.

HI everyone-

I'm on day 2 of the pre-op diet, and while I'm not hungry, I'm exhausted! I contemplated pulling a George Costanza and sleep under my desk during lunch. Unfortunately, I'm the only HR person here so my plan has been foiled by this open door policy. How are you guys combating the fatigue? I've already had 3 liters of Water, and keep getting up to make sure my blood is flowing.

Thanks for your help!
Laura

I am on day 3 pre op diet! I feel your pain. I have been alternating between Water hot tea and flavored water in between Protein drinks. I will have my first temptation on Friday when I'm meeting a friend for lunch.. But I told her I'm on a liquid diet already I'm hoping that helps. @amywolfe goodluck on Monday! Will be thinking of you

thanks so much my friend. I remember when we both got approved!!! we're doing this.

I'm on day 5 and it sounds like we are on the same pre-op diet @@brittie90! For Soups I stick to strained chicken noodle (my surgeon's office said a pinch of salt was fine) and strained french onion. are you allowed raw veggies? I have a Tomato and cucumber salad for lunch everyday (my surgeon's office approved a little vinegar) and it at least gives some texture to my meals.

Hang in there and good luck!!