Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

3 weeks post-op and not losing weight!

Hello everyone, I am new here and hate to start my posts out like this but I am just so discouraged, I don't know what to do with myself. I am 3 weeks post op, had the gastric bypass on 11/19/2015, and have not lost a single pound since the day of my surgery. I lost over 40 pounds the month before my surgery but since the day I came home from surgery, I have not lost a single pound and I am beginning to feel like a failure. I am eating less than 500 calories a day, sometimes not even that much, taking my Vitamins and Protein like I should. I just started on soft foods but I am keeping my carbs under 25 a day and have been since 6 weeks ago when I started my pre-op diet that I lost almost 60 pounds on. I am not sure what I am doing wrong. Has anyone here ever experienced something like this where they were not losing any weight at all in the beginning? I can't imagine this could last forever, I mean eventually the scale has to catch up to only eating 500 or less calories a day, right? I have PCOS and severe metabolic resistance, not sure if that matters or not. I appreciate any encouragement or similar stories any of you might be willing to share and thanks for listening.

Edited by divaofsongs

First of all, you lost an incredible amount of weight pre-surgery. Congratulations! Your body might just be trying to catch up with all that has happened to it.

I stalled only one week after my surgery for an entire month. It was frustrating, but from what my NUT and doctor have told me it is normal to stall. Weight loss is not always a constant downward slope - for many people it is more like steps - where we lose - then plateau for a bit - then lose again.

Just make sure you get your Protein and Water in (at least 60 gr. Protein and 60 oz water) - and your body will eventually respond.

Also, you might not be eating enough calories. You might want to talk with your NUT to make sure. If you do not get enough calories your body can respond by going into a starvation mode where it tries to hang on to whatever it can. When I met with my NUT the first thing she did was tell me to eat more - don't know if that was the trick, but my stall ended that day lol. It sometimes defies logic.

Hang in there - let your body adjust and keep following your doctor's / NUT's protocol. The weight will soon start to fall off again. Also, you might want to stay away from the scale for a bit and try not to let it rule how you feel. You are doing great!!!

I'm going to second pretty much everything @@miiasan said. Eating less can actually put your body into starvation mode and make you gain or stall. Your body has been through a HUGE trauma and it needs time to level out. Right now evrey part of your body is freaking out trying to restore the balance that's been thrown off, or heal the incisions in your skin, muscle, and organs. Be patient. :)

I have PCOS and a bad metabolic resistance as well, and I lost very slowly at first. Once it started picking up, I often lost a pound a day, or close to it. Now I'm stalled again for the past two weeks. But I know it will pick up again. Us ladies with PCOS just have to deal with even more issues preventing us from losing, even after surgery. But you WILL get there. I'm less than 4 months out and I'm almost 70 pounds down, and it feels like it snuck up on me. I think back to my first month, and second, and how discouraged I was that I was losing so freaking slowly. But soon it won't even matter to you.

Just get in all your Protein, Water, and Vitamins, and you will succeed. Also be prepared to possibly recover a bit slower than others. I healed quickly but I'm still in the phase where I get tired easily. It's slowwwwwly getting better. I know it's hard, but try not to stress about it. :)

You mention carbs and calories but not Protein. Your primary focus post-op is reaching your Protein and Fluid targets

Even though you haven't lost since surgery, you are probably experiencing your first stall.

Stalls are a normal, natural, and necessary part of the weight loss process.

What does your NUT and surgeon suggest?

Are you following your program?

Are you getting in all of your protein and fluids?

Are you taking your Vitamins and supplements as instructed?

Are you exercising?

If you aren't happy with your progress them give your NUT a call.

Embrace the Stall!

http://BariatricPal.com/index.php?/topic/351046-Embrace-the-Stall

First of all, you lost an incredible amount of weight pre-surgery. Congratulations! Your body might just be trying to catch up with all that has happened to it.

I stalled only one week after my surgery for an entire month. It was frustrating, but from what my NUT and doctor have told me it is normal to stall. Weight loss is not always a constant downward slope - for many people it is more like steps - where we lose - then plateau for a bit - then lose again.

Just make sure you get your Protein and Water in (at least 60 gr. Protein and 60 oz water) - and your body will eventually respond.

Also, you might not be eating enough calories. You might want to talk with your NUT to make sure. If you do not get enough calories your body can respond by going into a starvation mode where it tries to hang on to whatever it can. When I met with my NUT the first thing she did was tell me to eat more - don't know if that was the trick, but my stall ended that day lol. It sometimes defies logic.

Hang in there - let your body adjust and keep following your doctor's / NUT's protocol. The weight will soon start to fall off again. Also, you might want to stay away from the scale for a bit and try not to let it rule how you feel. You are doing great!!!

Thank you! I am getting my protein and Water in, well fluids, I am drinking Crystal Light and Decaf Tea with Splenda instead of water but I wonder if it makes a difference whether it is water or not? I am actually getting about 80+ oz. of Fluid and 60-80 protein grams a day. I make sure to drink at least 2 and sometimes 3 shakes a day with 30 grams of protein in each shake. Many days I cannot eat and only have Protein Shakes for meals, if I can eat, it is so little that I doubt it matters. When I can eat, I am eating 2-3 ounces of tuna with light mayo, salmon, tilapia or ground chicken for a meal but most of it is making me sick so I can only eat a couple of small bites. I am eating about 500-600 calories a day but I don't think I could get more in if I tried. I will ask my hubby to put the scale in the garage and only weigh once a week. I can drive myself crazy on that scales several times a day. LOL

I'm going to second pretty much everything @@miiasan said. Eating less can actually put your body into starvation mode and make you gain or stall. Your body has been through a HUGE trauma and it needs time to level out. Right now evrey part of your body is freaking out trying to restore the balance that's been thrown off, or heal the incisions in your skin, muscle, and organs. Be patient. :)

I have PCOS and a bad metabolic resistance as well, and I lost very slowly at first. Once it started picking up, I often lost a pound a day, or close to it. Now I'm stalled again for the past two weeks. But I know it will pick up again. Us ladies with PCOS just have to deal with even more issues preventing us from losing, even after surgery. But you WILL get there. I'm less than 4 months out and I'm almost 70 pounds down, and it feels like it snuck up on me. I think back to my first month, and second, and how discouraged I was that I was losing so freaking slowly. But soon it won't even matter to you.

Just get in all your protein, water, and Vitamins, and you will succeed. Also be prepared to possibly recover a bit slower than others. I healed quickly but I'm still in the phase where I get tired easily. It's slowwwwwly getting better. I know it's hard, but try not to stress about it. :)

It is nice to speak to someone else who has PCOS, very few people really understand it and it really does make a difference in weight loss. I have only ever been able to lose weight on a low-carb diet in the past. Even super low calorie diets do not yield good results for me but low carb always makes me lose like crazy so that is why I am baffled at the scale not moving for 3 weeks because I am eating less than 25 carbs a day so I am in ketosis still and have been since November 1st. I have also been getting in my Vitamins, , 60+ protein grams a day and plenty of fluids. I actually healed up pretty quickly, I was able to get 80+ Fluid ounces down a day since about day 3 or 4 and have not had any vomiting, although I take Zofran several times a day for nausea, I have not thrown up, thank God. My incisions stopped hurting day 4 or 5 and other than some slight internal tenderness up until day 7, I have had no pain or issues. I had a great surgery and quick recovery. I think maybe I am just being impatient. Thanks so much for the encouragement.

Congrats on your 70 pounds lost! That is fantastic!

You mention carbs and calories but not protein. Your primary focus post-op is reaching your protein and fluid targets

Even though you haven't lost since surgery, you are probably experiencing your first stall.

Stalls are a normal, natural, and necessary part of the weight loss process.

What does your NUT and surgeon suggest?

Are you following your program?

Are you getting in all of your protein and fluids?

Are you taking your vitamins and supplements as instructed?

Are you exercising?

If you aren't happy with your progress them give your NUT a call.

Embrace the Stall!

http://BariatricPal.com/index.php?/topic/351046-Embrace-the-Stall

I have been getting my fluid at 80+ oz. a day and protein at 60+ grams a day since I got home on day 3. I actually healed pretty quickly so that was never an issue. In answer to your questions:

What does your NUT and surgeon suggest? I am following their guidelines and the post-op diet to a tee.

Are you following your program? Yes

Are you getting in all of your protein and fluids? Yes

Are you taking your vitamins and supplements as instructed? Yes

Are you exercising? I have MS and I am in a wheelchair so I am unable to do much in terms of exercise but I thought about trying to do some sitting exercises. I found a program on TV called, "Sit and Be Fit" that I recorded today and plan to try tomorrow.

I will read the page on the link you posted, I really love all the support and information on this site. I am so glad I found it and so thankful to all of you for your help and support.

It sounds like you are doing fine. Just stick with your program and you will lose weight.

Definitely check out the Sit and Be Fit videos.

Pre-op, I was having mobility issues so I got a peddler and peddled with my hands while watching tv. It was a fairly easy way to get some exercise. You might want to look into something similar.

Can you swim? You may want to see if you can do some Water exercise. It is much better on the joints than land exercise.

It sounds like you are doing fine. Just stick with your program and you will lose weight.

Definitely check out the Sit and Be Fit videos.

Pre-op, I was having mobility issues so I got a peddler and peddled with my hands while watching tv. It was a fairly easy way to get some exercise. You might want to look into something similar.

Can you swim? You may want to see if you can do some Water exercise. It is much better on the joints than land exercise.

It is ironic that you mentioned swimming because my husband and I were just talking today about possibly having a pool installed in our back yard so I can start doing Water exercises. We live in Phoenix, AZ so we can use the pool about 9 months of the year, all 12 if it is heated. I have always loved the water and if I could find a local gym with a pool, I would join but we live in the suburbs and there is not a gym with a pool for more than 25 miles so it is not feasible for us to join. I do want to find a way to get more exercise though, and water has always made it easy for me to move. Being that it is winter, we would probably get a better deal on a pool if we were to buy one now, as opposed to waiting until the spring. I might just check it out tomorrow.

I have a pool at home so can swim outside during the summer (I'm in Kentucky). Now, I swim at our local hospital's wellness center. I love the Water. For now it's really the only way I can get some good exercise.

That happened to me but then after a while it just starts falling off, a whole month the weight loss stopped but now I'm 81 pounds down since June