Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Everyone seems to be obsessed with the scale... I am trying to not base my journey on that number... There are so many NSV's that's occur that I'd miss if I focused solely on the scale. 11 1/2 weeks and down to 178.3. I have 0 complaints... I am very glad I made the decision to have this surgery... Even more glad that I am learning to use it is the tool it was meant to be. I read a lot, say a little. Lots of people compare their journey to that of someone else... Stress stalls weight loss, take the stress off yourself and just take it one day at a time. This surgery was NOT a magic solution. Fact is you can gain the weight back if you don't work the tool effectively......

I'm glad that I've learned this lesson early on. I have a clear road ahead of me. Thank you all for sharing your stories. You're a big encouragement to lil ol me.

Agreed. It's one of the reasons why I make it a point to not weigh every day or even every week. There are so many other wonderful benefits to having this surgery that if I only focus on those numbers on the scale I get crazy.

I agree. I'm only 6 weeks out so I tend to weigh daily because each day it goes down a bit and what a great way to start the morning. If it doesn't go down, or it goes up, it doesn't bother me and I put the scale away for a few days. As I get further along I'll stuff the scale into some dark corner.

Right now I enjoy the happy dance of seeing the new numbers. Besides, my clothes are only slightly looser right now and being down 54lbs, that is really annoying. So for me it's the opposite of what I suggest for everyone else. I'm focusing on the proof that the number is going down since my pant size hasn't gone down yet. Stupid razzle frazzle pants!

I agree. I'm only 6 weeks out so I tend to weigh daily because each day it goes down a bit and what a great way to start the morning. If it doesn't go down, or it goes up, it doesn't bother me and I put the scale away for a few days. As I get further along I'll stuff the scale into some dark corner.

Right now I enjoy the happy dance of seeing the new numbers. Besides, my clothes are only slightly looser right now and being down 54lbs, that is really annoying. So for me it's the opposite of what I suggest for everyone else. I'm focusing on the proof that the number is going down since my pant size hasn't gone down yet. Stupid razzle frazzle pants!

I'm happier feeling the difference in the way my clothes fit and seeing THAT number go down... from a 22 to a 10/12 when I've NEVER been that size in my life is amazing to me, so there is where I place my focus... the scale doesn't give the whole picture for me as long as I'm looking good I'm great.

Feeling the difference will be the biggest motivation for me. But due to my level of fatassness, 54lbs isn't enough to REALLY see it yet. So I settle for the lovely number. That will change soon.

Feeling the difference will be the biggest motivation for me. But due to my level of fatassness, 54lbs isn't enough to REALLY see it yet. So I settle for the lovely number. That will change soon.

"Level of fat***ness" that caught me off guard. You will get there. One day at a time.

I say it about myself with a large dash of humor. I had to pay an additional amount because my bmi was over 50 at surgery. I called it the fat***ness charge.

Before my sleeve, I would go years without weighing myself. Even at a Doctor's appointment, I would somehow convince them not to weigh me. I am somewhat obsessive now. I guess I'm making up for lost time. lol

Everyone seems to be obsessed with the scale... I am trying to not base my journey on that number... There are so many NSV's that's occur that I'd miss if I focused solely on the scale. 11 1/2 weeks and down to 178.3. I have 0 complaints... I am very glad I made the decision to have this surgery... Even more glad that I am learning to use it is the tool it was meant to be. I read a lot, say a little. Lots of people compare their journey to that of someone else... Stress stalls weight loss, take the stress off yourself and just take it one day at a time. This surgery was NOT a magic solution. Fact is you can gain the weight back if you don't work the tool effectively......

I'm glad that I've learned this lesson early on. I have a clear road ahead of me. Thank you all for sharing your stories. You're a big encouragement to lil ol me.

If you don't mind me asking what was your starting weight?

54lbs in 6 weeks is great!!

If you don't mind me asking what was your starting weight?

My starting weight at the beginning of this process in June was 213. My weight day of surgery was 206. My highest weight was 266... However I lost a very nice amount in 2013/2014 after being diagnosed with diabetes. Unlike many people I did not have the surgery solely to lose weight I had the surgery because they could not regulate my blood sugar and I refused to be on medication for the rest of my life for diabetes, especially when I'd changed my eating habits and managed to lose weight without it.

I'm just one week post op. I've weighed myself 3 times since surgery but plan to only do weekly going forward. I know someone who had RNY and weighed herself daily! For me it's not all about the number. Is about the way I feel and the way I perceive myself. I have chronic back and leg problems so getting the weight off will hopefully save me from having to have multiple epidural steroid injections each year.

I am squarely in the camp of weighing less often. Early out I only weighed at Doctor's appointments (mostly because I was too large for my scale at home so it never gave an accurate reading). That was a great habit to get into.

I have noticed that for many people, weighing frequently drives them crazy. For me, weighing daily would give me no actionable information so I don't do it.