Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

3.5 months out knowledge

Some stuff I've learned over the past few months.

I thought you might like to know some possibly TMI issues.

1. The poop situation. During pre-op liquids and for at least a month after surgery, you'll have liquidy poops. Don't trust a toot. You won't poop for probably a week after your surgery. Go ahead and get some liquid stool softener (mag citrate). Lots of reasons for that. I know I didn't toot for 3 or 4 days.

2. The gas situation. Because these procedures are laparoscopic, you'll have a LOT of gas in your body. Not necessarily in your digestive system. You'll feel it in your chest, back, shoulders, even your teeth. Walk walk walk walk walk. Move your body as much as possible to get the gas moving. Ask for massages from your mama, husband, wife, whoever to help it move. I felt best with my arms forward on the couch and bent at the waist while my mom rubbed my back. I also used a ton of Deep Relief (Young Living oil blend) across my chest to help.

3. The sleep situation. I slept in a recliner for the first week. It was truly the most comfortable... and I slept with a pillow on my lap/belly in case I needed to get up. I couldnt sleep on my stomach for about 4 weeks.

4. The pain situation I didn't take pain meds after I got home from the hospital. Our pharmacy didn't fill it as liquid meds and I could not handle the crushing. Omg. That was horrible. I started feeling more normal as the steri-strips fell off. I helped them a lot because my skin was blistering from the adhesive - that part was horrible.

5. Energy. You have none until you start more solid foods. You aren't hungry but you are also working on minimal calories.

6. Emotions. Oh wow. Bring back the postpartum hormone changes. Around week 3 through maybe 6 I was weepy for no reason. It was very surprising and I thought I was losing it. Apparently, there are a lot of hormones stored in fat and as you lose, they are released... Which brings me to...

7. Hair loss. Around the 3rd month, hair loss starts. It doesn't matter what you do. Eat all your Protein, take your Vitamins, drink your Water. Your hair will still fall out. Very much like after you have a baby. Praying for this to stop soon. It's not noticeable on my thick hair but a friend is really struggling with it.

8. Nosy people. After a short time, people start commenting on the way you look, begging for "how", asking rude questions like wanting specific numbers. What is wrong with people?! Get prepared with your answers or you'll end up telling people you didn't mean to tell.

9. Head hunger. You won't believe me till you experience it but you don't really feel all that hungry for a few months. You will want to eat at meal times but it won't be a lot. You will have trouble deciding what you want because you can't have much of it anyways. This does cause some emotional pain to me but I'm working through it. I'm breaking up with food. I still have habits I fight daily. Snacking at certain times of day and choice of snack are the worst.

10. Everything tastes a little different. After essentially cleansing your palate and system of junk food, sugar, processed crap for 4 weeks, food tastes different. Sweet things are suuuuper sweet especially you may find a love for a new food because it's protein content.

I think that's all I'll throw out there for now... It is a lot to digest (pun intended) haha! Dumb, I know! If you've made it this far through my rambling then congrats!!

Great information! Thanks for posting about your experience! ????????????

We're opposites. I had Constipation after surgery. I had little to no gas pain. Only the burps when i eat/drink. I started sleeping on my stomach on day 4 post op. I used a body pillow and it helped support everything. And nothing tastes any different so far.

So essentially your milage may vary.