Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Psych eval 11.20---MY PERSONAL EXPERIENCE

Okay...so a lot of people have posted questions on here about the psych evaluation. I don't expect this to necessarily help anyone but I wanted to share my experience. It is somewhat different that any other post I have read.

First of all I struggled with the decision to see a psychiatrist or a psychologist. I know a psychologist on a professional level so I knew I would feel comfortable with him. I also knew if I went to him I would have to complete testing whereas if I went to see a psychiatrist, it would only be an interview. In the end it was money that made the decision for me. I only had a copay with the psychiatrist whereas I would have to pay for the testing and interview with a psychologist, which was considerably more than my copay.

How did I find the psychiatrist? An acquaintance had the surgery and said she could only find one who would do the evaluation. I would have to drive 90 min one way. Fine. I asked about her experience with the evaluation and the first thing she said was "I felt like she was trying to talk me out of it." The acquaintance was 5'5 inches, 300 lbs and had no co-morbid conditions.

So, I was curious to see if I felt like she had tried to "talk me out of it." I am 150 lbs overweight. I have diabetes, high blood pressure, sleep apnea, and a long history of high cholesterol and triglycerides (although I do not currently have this problem).

The psychiatrist asked questions I expected to be asked: current medical conditions, medications, family history, occupation, marital status, past and current mental health issues, past trauma, past relationships and how long they were, etc. She asked me what procedure I was having (sleeve).

She did not ask me anything at all about my weight history, if I had a support system or if there were any stressors in my life.

So at the end of the interview this is what she had to say:

1. You need to know there is currently NOT a cure for obesity. If there were, everyone would be having the surgery. You should also know the statistics say there is a high rate people who regain their weight back. My response to her was i felt like without the surgery I had a 0% chance of losing this weight and keeping it off. With the surgery, at least I will have a chance! I added I think the benefits will outweigh the risks.

2. There is a phenomenon known as addiction transfer and you are at a very high risk for this. I immediately stopped her and told her I was aware of this concerned about this as well and talked to my therapist about it. With regard to the transfer of food to alcohol addiction, I don't drink at all now. So, in order for me to avoid this, I should not ever drink. Of course, at this point she had to tell me about her "friend" who never drank before surgery who ended up being an alcoholic. I'm not quite sure why she said I was at a "high risk" for this because the only addiction I've ever had is food. However, my father and sister both died from drug addiction so I am statistically more likely to have addiction problems. I understand this may occur so I will be more cognizant of it.

3. You need to be aware this is a "dangerous and risky procedure." Well so is life saving brain and heart surgery! She said this on two different occasions. First, she told me about another "friend" who had a leak at the staple line. Then, the kicker of it all is this psychiatrist was morbidly obese herself! Not just obese, morbidly obese. Round as she was tall. So then she says to me I would have the surgery myself if it wasn't so "dangerous and risky."

So..did I feel like she was trying to talk me out of it? Hell yes! I find it ironic that a person who I know understands the struggles of being obese would have this perspective on WLS. Her responses were the kind of feedback you get from a normal, lay person.

Another oddity...she also out of the blue said "you look good." What does that mean? My hair and clothes were clean or I didn't act like was experiencing psychosis? I didn't ask.

She did clear me for surgery so I guess that is the most important thing but that experience left me scratching my head......

It sounds like she had trouble separating her own experience from yours, maybe?

I saw two psychologists. The first was in my town, she was an older lady. Her 'office' was in a tiny room on the second floor of a scary falling down house that had converted into offices. Apparently this was her temporary office while her regular office was renovated. There was clutter piled up to waist height, with a path between the door and the desk, old pictures, dead plants, old heaters and air conditioners, piles of papers. Her desk had more dead plants, papers, and ornaments. I paid my copay by check, which was added to a pile of other checks. It's been 4 months, the check hasn't been cashed yet. She quizzed me about my mother's dieting habits while I was young. For 50 minutes. She said we needed a few more sessions. I didn't go back.

My second psychologist works from the same hospital as my surgeon, they knew each other. I was there 45 minutes, in his clean office surrounded by clean glass. He asked me what I was expecting, what I'd tried, what I thought. He was pleased I'd done so much research into the procedure, the outcome, and the surgeon. I paid my copay by debit card.

They're all different. If you don't click with one, or they insist on more sessions you don't need, go find someone else. If they approve you anyway, just chalk it up to experience. Avoid them in the future, but don't let it put you off seeing a mental health professional when you think you could do with someone to listen to you properly!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Yikes... sounds like she was projecting.

A lot of obese people, in my experience, and against weight loss surgery. My opinion is that they are either afraid or jealous.