Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm bummed, y'all. So bummed.

I had my psych eval a couple of weeks ago.

It was not at ALL what I expected: I filled out literally 30 pages of background information on myself, then had to answer 338 true or false questions on a computer - one of which was: "Evil spirits sometimes possess my body"...then spent not quite an hour talking to the doctor.

We barely spoke about food or my relationship with food - instead, she thinks I have the potential to become an alcoholic (because my mother is an alcoholic and I enjoy a glass of wine after dinner most nights) who also has a mild case of PTSD stemming from my sister being sexually abused when we were children. I left her office completely dumbfounded, like "WTF just happened?". I really thought the purpose of this evaluation was to see where my head was at as it pertained to the surgery and the permanent changes I will need to make afterwards, but like I said - we barely spoke about the surgery.

Then I get a phone call from my surgeon's office. Apparently the psychiatrist presented my "case" to a board that included her peers, as well as a representative from my surgeon's office, and together they decided that I need to see a counselor for at least a couple of sessions and have that person put together some kind of treatment plan for me before I can be cleared for surgery. The counselor I have to see didn't have any open appts until Dec 2 and Dec 9, which I have already scheduled, but even if I get the clearance on Dec 9 and it's submitted to my insurance the same day that isn't enough time for them to review and approve (provided they approve it on the first try) and for me to then do the 2 week diet in order to have the surgery done in 2015. Because in 2016 my insurances changes to a high deductible plan - $3000 vs the $700 it currently is (which of course has already been met this year). Thankfully my employer will contribute $2200 in January to use towards the deductible and/or other medical expenses, but it's still another $800 I will need to cover. Not to mention the money I will need to spend if I also need to redo any of the tests or labwork I've had to do already.

I don't deny that I would probably benefit from speaking to a professional about my issues, but this surgery is one thing in my life I feel completely in control of. I am ready for it. I'm ready for the changes.

With the addition of these two newest appts..with all the appts I have already been to (tests, lab/blood work, follow-ups) I will have been to a total of 24 appts since August, including the first info session. I rearranged my schedule at work countless times to accommodate my appts, burned through nearly 50 hours of vacation time...I even cancelled a cruise for this! I will have spent nearly $1500 out of pocket, because although my insurance covers the surgery and the hospital stay it won't cover any of the pre- or post- op requirements...I've got journals and food plans and I've reorganized cabinets in my kitchen to make room for "my" food...

I'm dedicated and determined and READY, and I feel like I got robbed because I never even had the opportunity to tell any of this to the psychiatrist.

I realize this is just a delay, not a no, but I still can't help but feel completely defeated. I have done everything I have been asked to do, and all of my doctors have been wonderful as far as working me in and helping me to get this done before the end of the year...only to be derailed by a woman I literally talked to for just under an hour and other people who never met me, never spoke to me - but yet feel they know me well enough to know I'm "not ready" for this.

Sorry for the length. I just needed to vent :wacko:

I'll be fine. I'm just mad at the world right now. And thinkin' that I shoulda just went to Mexico.

That's frustrating. But don't despair. My insurance took less than a week to approve. My doctor's office had already put me on the schedule so as not to waste time. Explain your insurance change to your surgeon. I'm quite certain they see that all the time. Hopefully the additional counseling will be beneficial to you!!

Before I had my surgery, I didn't really see the need for the psychological evaluation. However, after having the surgery, I do realize that this is very seriously a mental exercise - we have to change almost everything we ever knew about eating. It is harder than most of us ever expected and I get the whole point of making sure we have support in place for the time at which the food crutch is removed. Your counselor may be hypersensitive about your case but just try to make the best of it and get all the benefit you can. I hope they don't delay you too long.

The psych employed by the surgeon (or associated with him) only expresses reservations when they are serious and potentially deleterious to your success with the surgery. Insurance company psychs might be very different. I think you present a medley of legitimate concerns as to what post-surgery life could hold. I completely get that you are mentally ready, but since the premium on success and mental health is so high, it is probably worth a hold-up, even with some extra expense (as you described), to make sure you are not doing this just to see your life end up being made worse because of other issues. I would stay confident and mentally in the zone, but also reflect on these matters as seriously as the psych did. I hope you can find a way to still have the surgery in 2015.

They are always looking for our inner demons aren't they? One of my insurance counselors never fails to ask if I have ever felt severely depressed or have I ever considered hurting myself. The answer is HELL YES, Haven't we all? That makes us normal. If not, you are not living in this world. The trick is persevering and getting through depression and controlling anger!

I am sending you good wishes and just keep strong. You're gonna make it.

Edited by MIMISAN

Sounds like we are both stressed out about unexpected changes but there isn't much we can do about it. Hopefully over the next few sessions you have all of this will be worked out and you will get the surgery this year. I wish you the very best.

I certainly understand some of how you are feeling as I also have a delay and will not be able to have my surgery until late Jan or Feb. My delay is not in regard to a Doctors opinion of my mental health but test related. I had my Cardiac Eval on Thursday and the Dr saw something. Now he wants me to have a 2 day chemical stress test and there are no opening for that until Dec 2 & 3rd and I don't get the results until the 7th. My Dr is leaving the country for the holiday on Dec 15th until after the New Year. I too was looking to have my surgery either in Dec or Jan. Expenses are going up for me to with the insurance in 2016. I am disabled and only work 2 days per week so money is super tight. I still do not even know what my co-pays will be but I do know they will all be put on a credit card and paid off monthly for the next how many years I don't know. I am stressed out about all this and next Monday is suppose to be my 6th supervised visit to the surgeon.

My psych eval was bullsh*t. The "doctor" was absolutely crazy and after the questionnaire and background papers, she spent the next hour trying to convince me that I was most likely sexually abused in a past life (not this current one) which I'm fairly certain isn't true (wasn't in this one either). She cleared me for surgery if I made two more appointments with her, which I did, but promptly canceled as soon as my surgery was scheduled.

She was a total lunatic.

Past life????? Well you aren't having surgery in a past life. Makes you wonder what little it takes to get a degree in psychology.

I'm sorry you had such a crummy experience with your psych eval. Mine had a horribly long test, but the consultation was helpful, and discussed primarily weight loss-related topics (and some mental health concerns regarding stress, anxiety, etc. but in a context that I felt pertained to my surgery).

Have you considered providing some feedback to your program about this psychiatrist? It might be helpful for them to know how the evaluation went and what was discussed. if several patients have similar concerns or experiences, it might prompt them to stop recommending or using that physician for their psychiatric evaluations.

I hope that the appointments and submission to insurance go by quickly and that you are able to have your surgery during the time frame you had in mind. I wish you all the best!

I feel like we had the exact same psych eval.

I went home from my appointment so bummed out. I was told I need to seek outpatient therapy for coping with anxiety, and to abstain from alcohol for at 3 months before they will revisit my case.

I honestly drink a few drinks a couple times per YEAR, like on holidays like New Years and 4th of July., but my mother is also an alcoholic so that pretty much means I am too.

I've also been diagnosed with GAD (general anxiety disorder) and OCD (obsessive compulsive disorder) well over 10 years ago, and have been medicated since. (Prozac only- no benzodiazepines)...now he tells me I'm bipolar according to my testing, and questions.

So frustrating!! I totally understand what you are going through!