Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Only 75-80 pounds to lose

Hello everyone, im new to this forum and i was wondering did any of you only had 75 or 80 pounds to lose? Do you think RNY was the best option? I was originally going to have gastric sleeve surgery since I didn't have to lose much weight and was a safer option surgery wise but now my doctor says no i have to go with RNY because my Gerd is pretty bad plus i have gastritis. Sorry just a little scared since i see more complications with RNY and i see people getting bony skinny which i dont want, i just want to be on a healthy weight. Thank you in advance for your responses

Most people don't get bone skinny after RNY... I believe average weight loss is around 70% of your excess weight. For me, WLS was all about my commorbidities... Diabetes, HBP, cholesterol... I knew I couldn't continue with the yo-yo dieting. Honestly, if I was under 100 lbs overweight, and did not have the other issues, I probably wouldn't have done it. However, I know would have ended up down this road eventually as I could never sustain weight loss.

Im thinking of doing it because on top of the 75-80lb i also have pseudo tumor cerebri which is caused by weight gain, Migraines, urinary incontinence, positional sleep apnea, joint and back pain, high cholesterol and pre diabetes so its so much more than the extra weight but i was just wondering about RNY since the friends that i know are bony skinny, thanks for your answer

Not everyone ends up that small. Many end up right where they need to be.

Have you thought about lapband? I think I'd look at that if I was under 100 over

Hi!

You said that the sleeve "is a safer option" and that you "see more complications with RNY" .... where have you seen this?

I haven't seen these statistics.

I don't think the decision of which WLS you should go with is based on the amount of weight you should/could lose.

I've seen people with a lot less weight than 70-80 lbs to lose and had WLS.

I personally was looking at the Sleeve at first but then my surgeon suggested I think about going with the RNY because I had horrible GERD and the bypass pretty much cures that the second a patient is out of surgery. I chose the RNY for that reason.

There are risks with any surgery but I don't know that there are more complications with the RNY. Not that I've ever seen anyways.

And for bony skinny....? Bahahaha ha I can't ever imagine I'll ever get to that point!

I wish you well with whatever surgery you choose and good luck to you on your weight loss journey!!

Thank you heather5565 for the info, i mean everywhere i look and read i see there is more risk with RNY even my surgeon told me there are more risks with this surgery but anyways you are right there is risk with any surgery, good to know RNY helps with Gerd.

First, I have never heard that there was more risk with RNY. In fact, I have heard on this very forum a number of times from people who had the band or sleeve and ended up getting a revision to RNY, because of the problems that came up with their other procedure.

Gastric Bypass is the "Gold Standard". It has been around since the 1960s, and the medical community knows the most about the long term effects of it.

Note that in the gastric sleeve, they actually remove a huge portion of your stomach, right out of your body! In RNY surgery, everything stays there (it's just re-routed).

Now, it is definitely true that there are some increased restrictions with RNY. You can develop "dumping syndrome", where if you eat sweets or high-fat foods you may feel light-headed, dizzy, fainting, sweating, nausea, diarrhea, cramps, or multiple of these symptoms at once. Not a happy thing to go through. But guess what? You shouldn't be eating those things anyway, so it is a good training tool to keep you away from that stuff.

Also, your pouch will be much smaller than the stomach left by the sleeve. You will be eating less. And if you don't chew your food completely, it doesn't get through the opening in your stomach and you end up throwing up. So, just remember to always chew your food.< /p>

Vitamins? You have to take those with the sleeve as well.

All in all, RNY is nothing to be afraid of. I've been living with it for 9 weeks now, and I've really embraced it.

First, I have never heard that there was more risk with RNY. In fact, I have heard on this very forum a number of times from people who had the band or sleeve and ended up getting a revision to RNY, because of the problems that came up with their other procedure.

Gastric Bypass is the "Gold Standard". It has been around since the 1960s, and the medical community knows the most about the long term effects of it.

Note that in the gastric sleeve, they actually remove a huge portion of your stomach, right out of your body! In RNY surgery, everything stays there (it's just re-routed).

Now, it is definitely true that there are some increased restrictions with RNY. You can develop "dumping syndrome", where if you eat sweets or high-fat foods you may feel light-headed, dizzy, fainting, sweating, nausea, diarrhea, cramps, or multiple of these symptoms at once. Not a happy thing to go through. But guess what? You shouldn't be eating those things anyway, so it is a good training tool to keep you away from that stuff.

Also, your pouch will be much smaller than the stomach left by the sleeve. You will be eating less. And if you don't chew your food completely, it doesn't get through the opening in your stomach and you end up throwing up. So, just remember to always chew your food.< /p>

Vitamins? You have to take those with the sleeve as well.

All in all, RNY is nothing to be afraid of. I've been living with it for 9 weeks now, and I've really embraced it.

Oh and I am pretty sure (sleevers step in here please) that a person that had the gastric sleeve can also experience dumping syndrome. But maybe not as likely or often...?

My friend with a sleeve said they can

Hello everyone, im new to this forum and i was wondering did any of you only had 75 or 80 pounds to lose? Do you think RNY was the best option? I was originally going to have gastric sleeve surgery since I didn't have to lose much weight and was a safer option surgery wise but now my doctor says no i have to go with RNY because my Gerd is pretty bad plus i have gastritis. Sorry just a little scared since i see more complications with RNY and i see people getting bony skinny which i dont want, i just want to be on a healthy weight. Thank you in advance for your responses

I myself have "only" 70-80 pounds to lose, and have my surgery scheduled for December 29th. I don't know where I'll be when I'm done losing in terms of weight, but I DO know I'll be at less risk for heart attack ect. I know that on my own, without the surgery, it's very unlikely I'll be able to lose weight, and keep it off, for life - on shear will power alone. So, I'm having gastric bypass - and if in a few years I regret it for whatever reason, it's reversible.

Start of pre op diet and classes I was at 267 type 2 diabetes and cholesterol meds. Day of surgery 216 and my surgeon strongly encouraged me to still have the rny surgery. He said that it would be the best for me long term. 19 days post op off all meds and just hit Onederland on the scale 198.00. No regrets here.

I had RNY last month because of gerd. I was overweight and told by my surgeon that she could have done a Nissen to correct the gerd, but it wasn't a guarantee. Gastric Bypass was her recommendation. I have not had any acid reflux since the morning of my surgery and have lost 19 lbs in 3 1/2 weeks. We have never discussed weight loss in terms of a goal weight or a percentage. My surgeon said that it's challenging to treat gerd surgically for BMI's between 35-40, I was 38. Overall, I am glad that I had the surgery. It is a complete lifestyle adjustment and I finally am feeling strong and pain free, but am happy to not have acid reflux. It has been an emotionally challenging for me because I wasn't seeking weight loss surgery, I wanted my gerd corrected which it has 100%. Good luck to you!

I was leaning to sleeve surgery but by the time I met with surgeon decided he was smarter than me about these things and left it up to him. I too understood that the sleeve was "safer" but he corrected me and advised that I should go with gastric bypass. I'm three weeks out and have no regrets. I've lost 30 pounds total and my chronic back, knee, everything pain is already better. I had mild GERD pre op, none now. Already sleeping better. I'm focused on making myself into a healthier, happier person.