Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can we ever have cake?

I've talked to my NUT about this a lot. It seems like she always brought it up. lol she said that at about a year out, it's ok to have a little cake or pie or even ice cream BUT you have it with your meal and AFTER you've had your Protein and veggies so maybe you get one bite in or two at most. You get your taste and it's not enough to undo all your hard work.

I used to be a huge sweet eater. I bought a cupcake the other day. Any type of cake or pie or cookie was my thing. The frosting was way too rich for my liking and I scrapped it off. (Would've done the same pre op too). The cupcake was super moist, so much so that I realized how oily it was. I don't do well with oils /fats. So I didn't enjoy it, and didn't get any urges for another (and another.)

Yup, you 'can' have it... I guess it comes down to if you want to deal with either the physical aftermath (dumping) or mental aftermath (cravings). I have no desire to try one again.

That being said I can name a laundry list of sweets I haven't attempted because I know control would go out the window. I guess cupcakes just aren't one of them.

I've talked to my NUT about this a lot. It seems like she always brought it up. lol she said that at about a year out, it's ok to have a little cake or pie or even ice cream BUT you have it with your meal and AFTER you've had your Protein and veggies so maybe you get one bite in or two at most. You get your taste and it's not enough to undo all your hard work.

That's what I was thinking after your protein you shouldn't have room for much sweets so it would only be a fork full or two which shouldn't undo all the good.....I hope. thankd

I used to be a huge sweet eater. I bought a cupcake the other day. Any type of cake or pie or cookie was my thing. The frosting was way too rich for my liking and I scrapped it off. (Would've done the same pre op too). The cupcake was super moist, so much so that I realized how oily it was. I don't do well with oils /fats. So I didn't enjoy it, and didn't get any urges for another (and another.)

Yup, you 'can' have it... I guess it comes down to if you want to deal with either the physical aftermath (dumping) or mental aftermath (cravings). I have no desire to try one again.

That being said I can name a laundry list of sweets I haven't attempted because I know control would go out the window. I guess cupcakes just aren't one of them.

I agree 100 percent I know there are some I can't have and won't even try because I don't trust myself around them. Thanks

@@beachgal2935 - I swear you should write a book. A recipe book that is. Thank you so much for your recipes, being so descriptive and including photos of even the ingredients. I have been looking for a cookbook that would house high Protein, low sugar, low sodium recipes; however, if you continue to share your recipes, I can make a cookbook of just yours! Thank you so much!!

@@rxs778 Why tempt fate? I'm almost 7 months post-op and I'd rather find alternative recipes to have my favorite foods. Many things can be made bariatric friendly. Then you don't have to worry about if you'll get sick or feel guilty. Here's a really simple, high Protein and great tasting pumpkin pie recipe. If you want crackers, steer clear of the traditional boxed white flour garbage and make your own fresh crispy cheese crackers. They taste so delicious. Here are both of the recipes along with nutrition facts and pics:

Crustless Protein pumpkin Pie

15 oz. can 100% pumpkin (not pie filling)

½ cup Egg whites (Egg beaters)

1 ½ cup Premier Protein vanilla shake

¾ cup Splenda

½ tsp. Salt

2 Tbsp. Pumpkin pie spice

Preheat oven 400°. Spray pie pan with non-stick cooking spray. Beat all ingredients together until smooth and creamy. Pour into prepared pie pan. Bake at 400° for 15 minutes, then turn down to 375° and bake for 45 minutes or until a knife inserted in center comes out clean. It is best served cold and can even be frozen. Serving size is 1/6 slice of pie. I used a Tbsp. of fat-free vanilla Greek yogurt as a topping (pic) but you could use Reddi-Wip fat-free whipped cream for an additional 5 calories & only 1 carb per 2 Tbsp. serving.

Nutrition Facts

Servings: 6

Calories 77

Fat 1g

Carbs 10g

Fiber 4g

Sugars 6g

Protein 9g

Cheese Crisp Squares

2 slices - Sargento Ultra thin Colby Jack cheese

sprinkle of seasoning to taste (I like cayenne pepper)

Break each slice into 4 equal squares, place on parchment paper and lightly sprinkle with your choice of seasoning (no need for salt). Must be parchment paper - NO exceptions! Place in 350° preheated oven on a baking sheet or pizza stone and bake for approximately 3-5 minutes. Keep an eye on them so they don't burn. Slide parchment paper off to cool on counter. Place cheese crisps on paper a towel to soak up any oil. They are super thin and delightfully crispy. They'll satisfy both your chip and cracker needs.

Nutrition Facts

Serving size 8 crackers

Calories 80

Fat 7g

Carbs 1g

Fiber 0g

Sugar 0g

Protein 5g

@@Anxious2beme Thank you! Maybe one day - LOL!!! I'm constantly searching for bariatric friendly recipes of the things that I love to eat. Neither my husband or son have a weight problem and they're very active so they pretty much eat what they want ... grrrr! I've told them I didn't want them to change because of me. I sucked it up in the early post-op stages when they were chowing down on their pizza Hut pizza. Pizza is one of my favorite foods so when I found the recipe for chicken crust pizza I just had to try it. It's one of my absolute faves!

Of course I tweak everything to my taste but I feel the need to share, so share is what I do. I type and print copies and take them to my monthly aftercare meetings and everyone just loves it. I also think its important to have nutrition facts and visuals. That's what draws me to a recipe.

I make sure to get a minimum of 125 grams of Protein per day and stay between 900-1000 calories. It's easy to do when everything you eat is Protein packed. I vowed before having surgery that everything that went in my mouth was going to be nutrient dense but most of all DELICIOUS!

As far as hot chocolate is concerned, I have some every night. It is part of my plan, my "dessert". I use the Swiss Miss Diet (it has 25 cals per cup), and I put a scoop of my dutch chocolate Protein powder in it (25g Protein, 110 cals) and it is totally guilt free, 'cause I get in almost half my daily protein at the same time! My NUT loves this idea.

In terms of the cake or pie, yeah you could do it, but why? I mean, we are talking about one or two bites, maybe, after eating the rest of your meal (remember to get your protein and veggies in first). Is it really worth it for those few bites? Speaking for myself only, it would be more torture to have only a bite of something I used to have a whole piece of (or two or three). And there's a chance that you will dump, which is sure to make for a "special" holiday or event I am sure.

Personally, my Thanksgiving dinner is going to be turkey, pureed cauliflower fake mashed potatoes (even my daughter likes it as much as mashed potatoes), and 1/2 orange for dessert. Boy, that's gonna fill me right up, might not even have room for the orange.

If I get a real need for a sweet treat, I use Russell Stover sugar free mint patties. One patty is 60 calories, so it isn't bad if you stick to one. I cut mine up into 4 pieces, and really chew it to get all the flavor. Really works for me.

I have decided for me to stay away from all starches; no bread, Pasta, cakes, etc. And I try to avoid all added sugars in anything.

You can have a great party or Thanksgiving or Christmas without the high fat and high sugar and high calorie foods. It is part of what we need to do in order to be successful long term.

One final thing to consider. Right now, you are still in your "honeymoon" phase of weight loss (as am I). But the habits you develop now are going to be the ones you will use long term. After a year or two, your pouch will grow, and you'll be able to eat more. Your intestines will start developing the ability to process sugar and fats like your stomach used to. It will become easier to eat all those foods you used to. Remember that on average, after 5 years bariatric patients regain 40% of their lost weight. Now, that's an average. I intend to be much lower than that, so I am working hard to develop good habits that will enable me to keep my weight under control the way I want.

I made a cake yesterday and tasted the icing and cake. Later in the day I did not feel good. For me I am going to stay away from sweets it is not worth it. But with that said, sometimes it is not easy to stay away from cake and other sweets. Do what works for you as we are all different with our tolerance to sugar after surgery.

If I want cake, I will eat cake. The reality is, it isn't even good anymore so after I deal with my head I realize that little bit of cake is not something I need.

If I don't give in to that craving once in a while then it's all I can think about. I love that things just don't taste like they once did.

Ice cream used to be my thing. Every time I try it, I think why was this my thing? There is nothing special about it for me and honestly it makes my tummy hurt now.

Probably my biggest issue is cheesecake. I still love it and have a tiny piece every once in a while. It satisfies me and I can control that craving easily because it's heavy and sits heavy. A bite or two and I am done and have dealt with that craving.

So the short answer is yes you can have cake again, you may not want to or your pouch may not want you to but sure give it a try.