Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can we ever have cake?

So I know we shouldn't have deserts for the obvious reasons but say it's xmas are we allowed to have a piece of pumpkin pie or will it male us sick? Is it a trial and error thing some people can and some can't? Sometimes in the winter we go ice fishing and have a container of warm hot chocolate we pass around can I have a small cup? I know we can't have them but can we sample occasionally? I am three weeks out and have a baby shower for my daughter in law at the end of the month will I be able to take a fork full of cake to try? Oh geez I know how bad this sounds I know the rules but I can't help but wonder

I think it's up to you. It will be trial and error. Everyone is different. I didn't want to test the waters for quite some time. To me, one bite of cake isn't worth it!

Are you allowed or should you? Two different questions.

You are allowed to eat anything you'd wish and you may or may not suffer unpleasant side effects. Should you have cake? Depends.

I've had cake but I didn't have issues with sweets prior to surgery. A piece of cake isn't going to give me permission to binge on cake or other foods.

I guess it really is trial and error. My daughter in laws shower is definitely not the place to try considering I'm organizing everything.

I think it's up to you. It will be trial and error. Everyone is different. I didn't want to test the waters for quite some time. To me, one bite of cake isn't worth it!

Are you allowed or should you? Two different questions.

You are allowed to eat anything you'd wish and you may or may not suffer unpleasant side effects. Should you have cake? Depends.

I've had cake but I didn't have issues with sweets prior to surgery. A piece of cake isn't going to give me permission to binge on cake or other foods.

No binge eating for sure I was just curious if I would ever have it again and if it made others sick or not. thanks for the input

personally, I wouldn't do it - but that is me...I am a rule follower and the tool I was given is doing some pretty awesome things for me. I am about 4 weeks out myself and still struggle each day to get in all my nutrients so I can get healthy and strong.

The choice is ultimately yours. I would, though, caution you against trying a new food like that for the first time in the company of others. Believe me, if it does make you sick it will ruin your whole day. I found out that I am lactose intolerant a couple of weeks ago - 2 bites of cottage cheese and I thought I was going to die from the pain - that went on for almost 45 minutes before I was able to throw up. For me it was a reminder that my stomach was new and was going to have its way lol.

Can you and should you are 2 different things, like mentioned already.

I have but wish I hadn't. Once you do, you have broken down that mental rule of not having it and you will allow yourself to have it more often. YOu might get dumping syndrome or you might not. And just because you are fine one time, doesn't mean you will be fine another time. I am pretty careful in public or away from a bathroom!!

You need to decide what is right for you.

I would say depending on if your belly can tolerate it and a shower may not be the place to test it. I was at a Soup supper last weekend and there were tables and tables of dessert. So, I looked over the dessert and thought that pumpkin pie would be the best (health wise) of what there was to choose from, so I took a piece, ate three small bites of the pumpkin only (no crust) and was completely satisified! Was I hungry? - no! Was it a bad choice? - not necessarily! If you know you can limit what you are doing, then I think it's fine. I will not have another bite of pie until Thanksgiving or Christmas.

It's weird how different foods get us. I'm just now able to have crackers as part of my weekly progressions, but now all I want to eat is crackers. So, I won't be keeping crackers in the house. I think a lot of us have trigger foods and that is one of mine. I wouldn't trust myself with cake, however I think I could at least test pumpkin pie filling without triggering anything. I'll probably try it at some point. If you don't have a problem with sweets then (1) I'm extremely jealous of you and (2) I hope you don't have trouble with a bite or two.

personally, I wouldn't do it - but that is me...I am a rule follower and the tool I was given is doing some pretty awesome things for me. I am about 4 weeks out myself and still struggle each day to get in all my nutrients so I can get healthy and strong.

The choice is ultimately yours. I would, though, caution you against trying a new food like that for the first time in the company of others. Believe me, if it does make you sick it will ruin your whole day. I found out that I am lactose intolerant a couple of weeks ago - 2 bites of cottage cheese and I thought I was going to die from the pain - that went on for almost 45 minutes before I was able to throw up. For me it was a reminder that my stomach was new and was going to have its way lol.

I am not saying I want to but I do want to know if at some point I could. I was told we would get sick if we tried and I guess my real question is did anyone try and how sick dis they get and is there some of out there who don't have a problem eating it. Judging by your experience with the cottage cheese it is really not worth trying because the sickness isint worth a fork full of cake. thanks for sharing your experience with me.

Can you and should you are 2 different things, like mentioned already.

I have but wish I hadn't. Once you do, you have broken down that mental rule of not having it and you will allow yourself to have it more often. YOu might get dumping syndrome or you might not. And just because you are fine one time, doesn't mean you will be fine another time. I am pretty careful in public or away from a bathroom!!

You need to decide what is right for you.

I guess it really is trial and error. I totally agree about breaking the mental rule it does scare me that if I try I'll always be doing it. I know I can't keep Desserts in the house that's for sure but at least I know someday I will have to try it knowing I might get sick or might not.

I would say depending on if your belly can tolerate it and a shower may not be the place to test it. I was at a Soup supper last weekend and there were tables and tables of dessert. So, I looked over the dessert and thought that pumpkin pie would be the best (health wise) of what there was to choose from, so I took a piece, ate three small bites of the pumpkin only (no crust) and was completely satisified! Was I hungry? - no! Was it a bad choice? - not necessarily! If you know you can limit what you are doing, then I think it's fine. I will not have another bite of pie until Thanksgiving or Christmas.

Perfect that's exactly what I was curious about. I don't want it everyday but would like to have a fork full at xmas or thanksgiving. If I do decide to taste it at some point I'll be sure to do it at home just in case. Thanks for the info

It's weird how different foods get us. I'm just now able to have crackers as part of my weekly progressions, but now all I want to eat is crackers. So, I won't be keeping crackers in the house. I think a lot of us have trigger foods and that is one of mine. I wouldn't trust myself with cake, however I think I could at least test pumpkin pie filling without triggering anything. I'll probably try it at some point. If you don't have a problem with sweets then (1) I'm extremely jealous of you and (2) I hope you don't have trouble with a bite or two.

I wish I knew if I could or not. It's a gamble I guess. I guess we just have to try and see what happens if we are willing to get sick to have a bite of cake. I don't know what I will do when the day comes. It will be a battle to see who's stronger me or the little devil that sits on my shoulder whispering try the cake! I would love to have a cracker but it will a little while yet im still on purees so I jeleous of you too lol

@rxs778 Why tempt fate? I'm almost 7 months post-op and I'd rather find alternative recipes to have my favorite foods. Many things can be made bariatric friendly. Then you don't have to worry about if you'll get sick or feel guilty. Here's a really simple, high Protein and great tasting pumpkin pie recipe. If you want crackers, steer clear of the traditional boxed white flour garbage and make your own fresh crispy cheese crackers. They taste so delicious. Here are both of the recipes along with nutrition facts and pics:

Crustless Protein Pumpkin Pie

15 oz. can 100% pumpkin (not pie filling)
½ cup Egg whites (Egg beaters)
1 ½ cup Premier Protein vanilla shake
¾ cup Splenda
½ tsp. Salt
2 Tbsp. Pumpkin pie spice

Preheat oven 400°. Spray pie pan with non-stick cooking spray. Beat all ingredients together until smooth and creamy. Pour into prepared pie pan. Bake at 400° for 15 minutes, then turn down to 375° and bake for 45 minutes or until a knife inserted in center comes out clean. It is best served cold and can even be frozen. Serving size is 1/6 slice of pie. I used a Tbsp. of fat-free vanilla Greek yogurt as a topping (pic) but you could use Reddi-Wip fat-free whipped cream for an additional 5 calories & only 1 carb per 2 Tbsp. serving.

Nutrition Facts

Servings: 6

Calories 77

Fat 1g

Carbs 10g

Fiber 4g

Sugars 6g

Protein 9g

Cheese Crisp Squares

2 slices - Sargento Ultra thin Colby Jack cheese

sprinkle of seasoning to taste (I like cayenne pepper)

Break each slice into 4 equal squares, place on parchment paper and lightly sprinkle with your choice of seasoning (no need for salt). Must be parchment paper - NO exceptions! Place in 350° preheated oven on a baking sheet or pizza stone and bake for approximately 3-5 minutes. Keep an eye on them so they don't burn. Slide parchment paper off to cool on counter. Place cheese crisps on paper a towel to soak up any oil. They are super thin and delightfully crispy. They'll satisfy both your chip and cracker needs.

Nutrition Facts

Serving size 8 crackers

Calories 80

Fat 7g

Carbs 1g

Fiber 0g

Sugar 0g

Protein 5g

post-236324-0-59589400-1447479556_thumb.jpg

post-236324-0-20947600-1447479572_thumb.jpg

post-236324-0-52268300-1447479583_thumb.jpg

post-236324-0-87828700-1447479597_thumb.jpg

post-236324-0-41470100-1447479817_thumb.jpg

@rxs778 Why tempt fate? I'm almost 7 months post-op and I'd rather find alternative recipes to have my favorite foods. Many things can be made bariatric friendly. Then you don't have to worry about if you'll get sick or feel guilty. Here's a really simple, high Protein and great tasting pumpkin pie recipe. If you want crackers, steer clear of the traditional boxed white flour garbage and make your own fresh crispy cheese crackers. They taste so delicious. Here are both of the recipes along with nutrition facts and pics:

Crustless Protein Pumpkin Pie

15 oz. can 100% pumpkin (not pie filling)

½ cup Egg whites (Egg beaters)

1 ½ cup Premier Protein vanilla shake

¾ cup Splenda

½ tsp. Salt

2 Tbsp. Pumpkin pie spice

Preheat oven 400°. Spray pie pan with non-stick cooking spray. Beat all ingredients together until smooth and creamy. Pour into prepared pie pan. Bake at 400° for 15 minutes, then turn down to 375° and bake for 45 minutes or until a knife inserted in center comes out clean. It is best served cold and can even be frozen. Serving size is 1/6 slice of pie. I used a Tbsp. of fat-free vanilla Greek yogurt as a topping (pic) but you could use Reddi-Wip fat-free whipped cream for an additional 5 calories & only 1 carb per 2 Tbsp. serving.

Nutrition Facts

Servings: 6

Calories 77

Fat 1g

Carbs 10g

Fiber 4g

Sugars 6g

Protein 9g

Cheese Crisp Squares

2 slices - Sargento Ultra thin Colby Jack cheese

sprinkle of seasoning to taste (I like cayenne pepper)

Break each slice into 4 equal squares, place on parchment paper and lightly sprinkle with your choice of seasoning (no need for salt). Must be parchment paper - NO exceptions! Place in 350° preheated oven on a baking sheet or pizza stone and bake for approximately 3-5 minutes. Keep an eye on them so they don't burn. Slide parchment paper off to cool on counter. Place cheese crisps on paper a towel to soak up any oil. They are super thin and delightfully crispy. They'll satisfy both your chip and cracker needs.

Nutrition Facts

Serving size 8 crackers

Calories 80

Fat 7g

Carbs 1g

Fiber 0g

Sugar 0g

Protein 5g

thank you for this I will try these for sure and guilt free too! Awesome