Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Numbness in outer thigh

Did anyone experience their thigh going numb after surgery? I am 3 days post op VSG and nerve damage is what it seems like. It's completely numb in my right outer thigh. No symptoms for a clot but it's definitely numb and staying that way for a little while. Beyond just my thigh "falling asleep." I plan on calling the surgeon's office in the morning but curious if any of you experienced this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, I experienced it. I felt it right after I got home from the surgery, so it was a day after the surgery. Massaging my thigh helped and I still feel numbness but it doesn't compare to how it felt at the beginning. Sometimes it felt like a burning sensation and it worsened depending on the side I was sleeping on. Talk to your dr about it. My dr didn't really say much about it but massaging helps. Hopefully it goes away for good. I'm going on 4 months post sleeve surgery, btw.

I also have an issue with my left outside thigh being numb! I thought I was the only one. I noticed it about 4 days post op and I was in the ER and they told me it could just be from laying on their hard beds but I am now almost 7 weeks post op and it's still numb. I'm relieved to know I'm not the one one!

Wow. It is a little scary and I wonder why it happens ? I'll let you know if I find out anything further.

Wow. Thank you! That sounds exactly right based on what I just read about it. I'm glad it's no biggie!

It's called lateral femoral cutaneous syndrome and has to do with nerve regeneration and does go away by 3 months usually. Not exactly sure why it happens...

NP said the same thing. You're a smart cookie. Thank you!

Yes !! I had it a few weeks post op. I addressed it with my surgeon and he said it could be neuropathy or from laying on my back for 48 hrs. It went away fairly quickly and has not returned ...

Thank you guys so much, that's very helpful!

I've experienced that. For me, it isn't constant. It happens after I do a lot of walking. It goes away once I rest for for awhile.

Yeah my practitioner finished my sentence when I called. She said it happens in laparoscopic procedures sometimes and may take awhile but will eventually go away. Femoral nerve damage.

ive had mine since before my surgery from what i read on line for me its due to being overweight but since the surgery it is slowly going away

I feel it too...I am 6 months post op and still get it every so often....my Primary Doc said it was probably from the weight...but that makes no sense since I only got it after losing weight???? whatever...at least now it is only rarely that I get it...no real way to track it either cause it happens at different times and such....hopefully sinec it is lessening, that means it is going away

I literally just recovered from this 2 weeks ago on my left thigh.

I havent had my sleeve yet.. however i broke my leg and was laying down quite a bit... it was doing this for 3 weeks.

I tried warm baths.. went to the doctor... it was the femoral nerve that was pinched.

He tried to prescribe meds... but the side effects stated were scary, so i decided against them

So i used a TENS machine on it.. and then got an adjustment from the chiro... next day it was gone and hasnt returned.

Im assuming for me it was from too much laying down and putting pressure on the nerve from hopping around from my injured leg.