Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How old is the sleeve surgery?

From Google :

'The history of the sleeve gastrectomy is more an evolution of prior procedures than a discrete timeline of development of a single procedure. The procedure has its roots in the earliest gastroplasty procedures and as an observation from prior anti-reflux procedures. It was Doug Hess, in Bowling Green, Ohio, who performed the first open sleeve gastrectomy in March of 1988 as part of what is now known as the duodenal switch procedure Lawrence L. Tretbar described weight loss associated with a fundoplication for reflux surgery. He described an extension of the fundoplication that created a tubular structure that achieves weight loss'

Thanks Google!!

Monica, the article cites 1988. It was first used in conjunction with other weight loss surgeries. About 12-15 years ago it was first used as a stand alone procedure as doctors realized that patients lost almost the same amount of weight with the gastric sleeve as with gastric bypass and duodenal switch.

The DS is sometimes done as a two-step procedure for patients not healthy enough to undergo the longer combined procedure (time under anesthesia is particularly critical for those in marginal health,) with the sleeve part done first and then the intestinal rerouting (the "switch" part) after they have lost enough weight to withstand the second surgery. It was noted that some lost enough weight on just the sleeve part to not need the second switch procedure, so it started being offered, and optimized, as a stand alone procedure.

The VSG's relation to the DS is one reason why I have a preference for using DS surgeons for VSG's when possible, as they have longer experience in crafting them than the surgeons who have more recently added the VSG to their RNY and band practices.

I think it has grown exponentially in frequency in the last five years, before which it was performed but at a fairly stagnant rate and at a much lower rate than bypass or lap-band (excluding the sleeves that were performed as part of DS). I would think it has began to skyrocket in popularity at the beginning of the decade because we were just arriving at the point at which there exists enough workable data to know that it is an effective procedure.

I think it has grown exponentially in frequency in the last five years, before which it was performed but at a fairly stagnant rate and at a much lower rate than bypass or lap-band (excluding the sleeves that were performed as part of DS). I would think it has began to skyrocket in popularity at the beginning of the decade because we were just arriving at the point at which there exists enough workable data to know that it is an effective procedure.

It seemed to reach a critical mass around 5-6 years ago when several insurance companies started covering it along with the other approved procedures. I had been in the background considering for several years - lost about a third of my excess weight by cleaning up the diet/lifestyle as part of my wife getting a DS ten years ago, wasn't heavy enough to be comfortable with the DS, had maintained the loss for several years and was spurred on to get the VSG when I saw that Aetna had started covering it. So there was a convergence of events - ASBS/ASMBS position changes accepting it, more surgeons offering it as it is much simpler for them than the DS, along with a growing disenchantment with the bands - and the start of insurance coverage that really accelerated the sleeve's acceptance,

When The sleeve Surgery Was invented? how many years are Doctors doing this surgery already?

@@monica36

the sleeve was first "invented" to help with stomach cancer patients

many years ago, don't know when exactly

i "think" the sleeve started to be used for WLS "about" 10+ years ago

not positive but i think most docs now perform the sleeve

unfortunately many insurance don't cover WLS at all :angry:

sleeve was not covered by many insurances for quite a while

sleeve is now more common - frecognized more often

the sleeve is covered more and more by insurance companies (not all insurance co.)

kathy