Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Not feeling well at all

Post-op it was all I could do to get a couple ounces of food or Water down at one time. As I made that gradual transition to solid foods (4 1/2 weeks), I began to feel a little better each day. By the time I was at that point, I could eat 1/2 cup of food, maybe minus the last bite.

I really did not have much energy until I got to solid foods, but even soft foods helped. By six months I could eat one cup of food or two ounces of meat plus a few small bites of veggies. I am fast approaching two years and can comfortably eat one cup, which sounds and feels like a lot, now.

It's hard to remember how I used to eat a big ol' plate of food, go back for seconds, add a dessert (or two) plus about a quart of soda pop. And sometimes I felt like I was starving two hours later. Maintenance is not so bad. I can eat anything I want, but what I want has changed. My body is used to receiving Proteins and veggies, and balks at anything sugary or starchy.

The process becomes more automatic as you go along. In a few weeks you will be able to look back and encourage someone who is where you are now.

@InnerSurferGirl - I am at least consuming all of the Water that I need. I will stay in touch with my NUT. I probably should have called her already.

@@MissMac - Thank you for responding. All of your responses have made me feel better. I really appreciate it and really needed it hear it!

@InnerSurferGirl - I am at least consuming all of the Water that I need. I will stay in touch with my NUT. I probably should have called her already.

@@MissMac - Thank you for responding. All of your responses have made me feel better. I really appreciate it and really needed it hear it!

I think we will feel better post op. I really believe that. I can't guarantee it, but I have to believe that. This weekend so far, being home is even harder than being at work. All the food around is very tempting. Like you I am not hungry, but knowing it's here is a mental battle. I have headaches daily, yet I'm drinking 100oz of water a day. I don't have as much nausea as you, but I have diarrhea everytime I drink a shake or eat dinner. I too wonder how I can do this for another week, but I keep telling myself why i started this process in the first place. We can do this.

Buzzly36, do you have your gall bladder? I dont, and I think that is what is causing my diarrhea. It is leaving extra acid in my empty tummy. You might be experiencing something similar. I almost wondered if I should take an acid preventer for the next week.

@@HopeandAgony - I do not have my gallbladder either. I talked to my sister-in-law, who is a Nurse Manager and who had the gastric bypass about 13 years ago. She said to go ahead and take the Omeprazole that I have prescribed to me for heartburn. Just since last night I haven't felt as nauseated so I am really happy about that. A few days ago I saw my surgeon and told him that I was taking the Omeprazole as needed so I'm pretty sure that it is okay that I take them up through tomorrow. Just nothing after midnight on Sunday night. One and a half days to go. I have to keep my eyes on the prize! Good luck to you!!

Have you tried changing the brand of Protein Shake you use? Maybe try a Protein Drink like Isopure no carb or Syntrax Nectars?

Post-op the liquids phase whether you do clears then all liquids or go straight to all liquids is the most challenging part, then it's just slowly re-introducing foods. I was fortunate enough to not have any nausea at any point. It's a good idea to check in with your NUT and see what she recommends. Good communication with a competent NUT is invaluable during this process. If you have one you trust, definitely lean on her.

buzzly36,

Hang in there! 500-700 calories is a really low amount of calories. It may be about ¼ of what you would need if you were trying to maintain your weight! Since calories are “energy,” it’s no wonder you feel terrible!

Like the others said, just be patient. You don’t want to do anything to jeopardize your surgery. What you can do during this time is support yourself by getting plenty of fluids so you stay hydrated. Also, try to get plenty of sleep so you’re going into surgery as strong as possible.

Best of luck with surgery on Monday, and let us know how it went!

The timeframe to be rid of the nausea & to regain strength/energy varies, I guarantee, you will not feel like this for the rest of your life. My nausea began to subside within 24-48 hours after surgery. Each day it got better & better. You'll be okay.

Best of luck to you. Your fellow losers are routing for your success!

I too was weak from the pre-op liquid diet and didn't drive because I was afraid I would have a wreck. My NUT had me increase my calories up to 800 to 1000 with addition of milk. That really seemed to help.

I might be off base but if you are not having the broth I wonder if it is the drastic reduction in sodium that is causing your weak feeling. Do you feel any better when you get them in? Also are you getting enough Water? It doesnt make sense to me that you feel nausea from this diet so it's almost like something is a little out of balance.

Hang in there-the main purpose is to shrink that liver in preparing for surgery. You are almost there!

Thank you all for your responses. They do help.

@@cbruce125 - I couldn't agree with you more!

@@BLERDgirl - fruit or fruit juices are a no no for me but thanks for the idea.

@InnerSurferGirl - I have the same pre-op diet as HopeandAgony. 2 Protein shakes, 4 ozs Protein (food) and 1/2 cup veggies. My doctor said consuming 500-800 calories is the goal. You are allowed to have 2 sugar free jellos, 2 sugar free ice pops and 2 servings of chicken/beef broth each day, in between meals. My problem is that I feel so nauseated all of the time that I have to force myself to get in the 2 shakes, 4 oz protein and sometimes I can't even get the veggies down. I know I only have two days left so I will deal with it but my original question was do these feelings go away? I just don't want to live like this for the next year.

If you are at the end of the line with the hunger, go to liquids now, even if that wasn't specifically what the doctor ordered. It will make life after surgery so much easier as well. The first week is always brutally tough, and then your body gets used to the pre-op (that doesn't mean you could continue that way forever without the surgery, just saying)...liquid Protein will help speed that process.

The Omeprazole was a must for me both pre-op and post-op. I couldn't get by without them (I take 2 a day). Without it I have too much hunger. It's an expense that I don't enjoy, but it is a must for me.