Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ok so one thing I know how to do as an adult is eat. I'm starting to struggle now I feel like I'm in this alone I know I'm not but I feel so limited now I'm an emotional eater or was and its like I'm thinking how many times I can eat how many ounces and trying not to eat and drink at the same time this is starting to all get overwhelming. I don't have food or cigarettes to turn to yes I can go out and walk but I feel so gloomy lately

Try to distract yourself if you feel yourself getting down. Read a book? Watch a good show? Clean out a closet? I can't tell you how many things I cleaned after surgery. I got sad when I was done! My house has never been so clean or organized and clutter free. It's not an easy journey. I find myself getting head hunger too....I'm not physically hungry but I see something and I want it. I want it badly. I have to have a conversation with myself to stop.

If you find yourself getting into the emotional eating trap, I would suggest you call your program and see if you can get back to see the psych/counselor or find someone through your health plan. We still have all the emotional baggage we had BEFORE the surgery, we just need to find other ways to deal with them now that doesn't involve food.

Best of luck!

Its temporary.... I promise.

It's so easy to get tired of being strong. Winston Churchill once said, "If you are going through Hell, keep going."

Hanging in there is so worth the effort. Before I got my sleeve, I was on a path to an early grave with many life-threatening obesity related comorbidities, and nearly died in the hospital the month before my sleeve. You will get to the point where the new healthy lifestyle becomes more familiar. Now that I am just six weeks away from being two years out, Portion Control, Fluid intake, and dietary choices are so automatic that it is like I never ate any other way before.

The pre-op and post-op agonies are a distant memory. Even my scars are hard to find, and I know where they are. During the agonies of developing new habits, I had to think of myself as a small child with life-threatening digestive issues, and the only way to keep that child alive was to feed it small amounts, Protein first, drinking Water until my eyeballs float, timing, and portion control.

If my actions were to put someone else's life in the balance, I would have no problem making that sacrifice, so why not do it for myself? You are worth the effort, so keep moving one foot after the other until you come out on the other side.

I take a lot of pride (and sometimes obsess over) the things that I can now do as a result of having lost 100 lbs, which dilute the attention I have for the things I have always been able to do and obsess over (FOOD). Those haven't gone away, but they are no longer front and center for me.

This too will pass. It really does get to a point where it become mind over matter. Hang in there and eventually the mind will catch up and this will become second nature.

It's a phase...

Yes, it's a really shitty phase...

But, as others have said, it will pass...

I'm not sure about the "go for a walk" thing...

To me, that just gives you time to think more about how shitty you feel...

I'd be more inclined to suggest something a little more animated/distracting...

Hang a punching bag and unleash on it every time you get the food twitches...

Put your favourite album on, turn it up loud and put on an impromptu show for the neighbours...(Singing at the top of your voice and dancing around the house is what I mean here, not any other kind of show... :mellow: )

Stand at your front door and shout obscenities at passers-by like the cranky old man/woman we all knew of in the street where we, or a friend, grew up...

Just do something to get you thru that moment, then revert back to your normal, calm, controlled self when the twitch passes...

Would it help to know that so many others have had the same reaction at your point after surgery -- who a few months down the road are over the moon with all the positive changes in their lives?

Think transition / adaptation / transformation. It's how we get from where we didn't want to be to where we want to be.

In the meantime, you've far enough post-op that you should be getting more and more exercise. Walking is amazing. If you don't have great walking shoes, get some. If you don't have cold weather walking gear, get some -- a hat, some gloves, some waterproof, windproof jacket and maybe even some pants. And get out there. :)

Oh, and listen to good music on your cell phone while you walk.