Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

BMI drop through nutritionist. Concerned can't have surgery?

Just checking to see if anyone dropped their BMI pretty much before surgery.

If so could you still have the surgery?

Was the drop so significant that you are no longer eligible?

I don't think it was. I am using my PCP and a nutritionist that they sent me to. Well the practice that will be doing the surgery I HAVE to meet with their nutritionist once after I have seen my PCP 4 months in a row. So when I started BMI was 40, following the nutritionist it is 37.9 today. And the first thing she says to me is that I am probably not eligible because my BMI is under 40. But also I have acid reflux (which I have been on medications for 5 years and I do have asthma).

Should I call the surgeon's office.

It will depend on your insurance policy. With many, you can be 35 or greater with comorbids to qualify, but which comorbids qualify you, again depends on your insurance. You should call your insurance company and get a copy of the policy for bariatric surgery.

Edited by cassie32104

I am a newbie like you so I don't know the correct answer to your questions. If I were facing the issue, I would schedule a visit with my surgeon to discuss this. I believe that ethically you will be given the "right" answer. My understanding is that a bariatrician helps people with courses of action that are appropriate for them, not just to have surgery. I know that you are disappointed at even the possibility that you may not be able to have the surgery. But you have obviously worked hard and should be proud of your success. With that said, I think your best bet is to speak with your surgeon and with him/her make a decision. Good luck...and all the best in making the right decision!

Edited by MitchieMay

I just called both the surgeon and my health insurance company. As long as I started the journey at 40 I am okay because they will like to see some progress made. As long as I don't gain I should be good!!!

Thanks everyone for answering me. So much information to take in sometimes.

Have a great day!!!!

I just called both the surgeon and my health insurance company. As long as I started the journey at 40 I am okay because they will like to see some progress made. As long as I don't gain I should be good!!!

Thanks everyone for answering me. So much information to take in sometimes.

Have a great day!!!!

That's awesome news!

This was my concern too when i started my journey march 2015..i asked same question and according to my surgeon they submit the very first bmi visit to ur insurance!...it doesnt matter if u lose weight or not during ur 3rd month visit or ur 6 month visit.

Thanks for answering. I did happen to find that out last night from the insurance company.

Have you had your surgery yet?

LOL!!! MitchieMay when is your surgery?

23 November......I've got a little while and also facing my two-week pre-op diet. I am experimenting this week with Protein Meal Replacements so I will know what tastes good. But from all I am reading, it is probably a waste of time because my tastes are likely to change post-op. But, I am an eager beaver!

I was doing that also but then saw that taste may change. I bought the Dummies for weight loss surgery cookbook which has some pretty good stuff in it.

Well crossing my fingers for you that everything goes well!!!