Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery in 3 days... So nervous... Need support

In 3 days on Nov 5th, I will have my band taken out, my gallbladder removed and a Sleeve done. So nervous especially about anaesthesia which I do not do well. I have a 3 and 5 year old. I pray to God I'm doing the right thing. Any words of advise, encouragement or compassion, would be very much appreciated at this time! My stomach is all in knots about what is about to happen... So from what to take to the hospital, to things that would help me at home...anything that helped you that you are willing to share I would be eternally for. I'm in the home stretch to get this done, and trying to be strong.

Blessings and love...

You'll be back home and better than new in just a few days.

You'll heal up while staying on track with your plan.

You'll have to be careful with the 3 & 5 year old that they don't pile on top of you at times when you aren't ready. :huh:

I was very, very pleased with the anesthesia, too. I've had a few surgeries over the years and it seems that the most recent ones have found me awake sooner after recovery room and no ill effects. The advances in the medications used is clearly improving.

I sorta kept it to the bare minimum on my hospital trip as far as stuff goes. A couple new magazines, my iPhone and a remote battery, toiletries, changes of loose fitting gym clothes and that was about it. Oh yeah....a big bottle of hand sanitizer, too. I had that thing right beside my bed and hit it whenever I returned from my walks.

Two helpful things I found for the car ride home: A full sized pillow and my post-op pain meds. After walking from my room out to the car......I sat down, took a swig of the pain meds (same as what I'd had that morning in hospital), placed the pillow over my abdomen and held it there for the ride home. It takes all the road shock and impact out of the equation and made the ride home very comfortable. I still sleep with one over my abdomen, too. It is comfortable and helps me ease off to sleep.< /p>

​You are going to do great and you'll feel better once it's all done and you are awake in your room and enjoying a cup of ice chips. Good stuff and good times.

Those little munchkins will be super happy to see you....be careful not to let them hurt you.

Best wishes !!!!! :D

Try not to worry yourself. Whenever it comes in your mind stop and say a little prayer and meditate to the sound of the ocean or something you will feel better... Good Luck

you'll be fine... You got this!!! wishing you great success!

It’s normal to be nervous before the surgery, I think we all go through the questioning in our heads. Is this right for me? Will it be painful? How am I going to cope with so little food in the first few months? And on and on. However we all get through it and I can honestly say that it’s been one of the best decisions I have ever made in my life. Believe in yourself and your inner strength, you CAN do it.

As for things to take to the hospital I would advise (For one night):

Loose clothes to go home in.

Something to read (such as magazines, which you can just pick up and put down in between walking, sipping, sleeping, walking sipping)

Gas-x strips

Soap, toothpaste and toothbrush.

Nightwear/underwear

I stayed 3 nights and 4 days and so in addition I took and found helpful:

Kindle

Face wipes

Lip Balm

Phone and charger

Shampoo and body wash

3 x nightwear

I spent most of the time in between the walking etc either in bed sleeping or watching tv/reading or being checked over by the health professionals, especially in the first day. My husband brought a pillow to put over my tummy so the seat belt didn't dig in for the drive home. Otherwise the hospital provided everything else I wanted.

Best of luck for the surgery and for a very speedy recovery!! :)

I'm Nov 4 for a sleeve!

So excited!

@@debac good luck to you dear!

@devac and @tribal, God speed tomorrow and please let us know how you are doing! Prayers for your successful recovery!

Sending prayers your way. You will do fine. It will be for the best specially for your kids.

Thank you so much @@lovingdavid, laying here sleepless... Looking for comfort in posts...

Good luck to you tomorrow! I know you'll do great!! I am having the band to sleeve revision on November 20th.

Getting ready to head to the hospital! So nervous but at the same time excited. .

Praying for you dear! It is well! Let us know how you are doing! What time is your surgery?