Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Newbie! (Or is it NOOB?)

However you spell it, this is my first post to BariatricPal!

Got a "welcome message" when I joined this group that suggested I give some background, so here's a little about me.

I hope to get a surgery date next week. I've jumped through all the hoops other than the 4-hr educational class and whatever pre-op is required. I'm hoping to get it done either the week before Christmas or the first week of January. Now that I've finally decided to do this, it can't happen soon enough as far as I'm concerned!

The nearest WLS center is 2 hrs away but my GP is very supportive and has other WLS patients, so I am not worried about the distance. The WLS is a " Center of excellence

I've toyed with the idea of WLS for more than 10 years. Each time I started thinking seriously about it, I'd give healthy eating one more try-- usually with minimal results. About 6 years ago, though, I adopted a low-fat, plant-based diet and lost almost 50 lbs -- way more than I'd ever lost on Weight Watchers (9 times), Jenny Craig, OptifSt, Atkins, the Zone,...you know the story! And even though I felt fantastic, somehow the crap started sneaking back in and I regained all the weight (plus some extra, of course).

A couple of months ago the idea of WLS popped into my head out of the blue, and it just felt right. Since then I've gone full bore on meeting the requirements. Once I go through the mandatory 4-hr class, I'll have met all the program's requirements and they will submit my paperwork for insurance approval. If I understand the process correctly, I can get a surgery date once insurance approves me. Since I've met all the insurance requirements, it is not supposed to take them long.

I am 5'6" and weigh about 255-265 lbs. I think that makes my excess weight about 130-140 lbs (assuming an ideal weight of 125 lbs). Supposedly most WLS patients stabilize at 50-70% of excess weight lost. If I'm using the right calculations, that would be 164 to 195 lbs. I'd really like to stabilize at 145-150 lbs, though if I stabilized at 15-170 and didn't have to struggle to stay there, I'd be satisfied. But boy, I sure would hate to get my guts rearranged to end up at almost 200 lbs!

All the best to you and welcome aboard!

@@talkingmountain

Welcome to the show! As for the noob, newbie, you would refer to yourself as a newbie, I would refer to you as a noob. Newbie is descriptive, noob is insulting/demeaning. Too many years of video games.

Congratulations on your upcoming surgery. Just a couple things to remember, this is a journey, a lifelong commitment to change. Big time significant change. Your journey is yours alone, while we may be able to offer generic advice, what you go through will be very personal.

I STRONGLY recommend that you read any of Alex Brecher's "Big Books" on the various weight loss surgeries. I found them entertaining and very informative. It's good to understand from a medical perspective what is going to happen inside you. Afterwards, you are a better educated consumer and customer, and this is a plus for everyone.

Stay positive. That might sound odd, but many of us go through very unpleasant things and it's easy to get down on yourself. Stalls WILL HAPPEN, prepare yourself, continue to work your program, do what you are supposed to do and they pass. These forums even get graphic with people talking about bowel movements, too much, too little, or shocked at what came out, me personally, I could poop out a kitten and it would not surprise me. The kitten, would likely require a lifetime of therapy though, lol.

Welcome aboard, you have taken another step towards your new life.

Sounds like you will be having a Merry Christmas indeed! I'm three months out from my RNY and have lost 45 pounds since surgery. Nearly 80 overall. I couldn't be happier and have zero regrets!

Many go on to lose over 100% of their excess weight, so don't get bogged down by averages. A lot of it has to do with how much work you put into it as both a pre op and a post op. Best of luck to you and welcome!

Many go on to lose over 100% of their excess weight, so don't get bogged down by averages. A lot of it has to do with how much work you put into it as both a pre op and a post op. Best of luck to you and welcome!

Thanks! That's a much better way for me to think about it!

Got my surgery date today -- Dec 28th! Pre-op is Dec 17. So, I have about a month to find a Protein drink that doesn't make me gag (my doc requires a 10-day liquid-only Protein diet to shrink the liver & clean out the colon). So far everything I've tried has been sickeningly sweet.

Welcome! I am actually glad my date is in January (my choice) because it gives me the time I need to wrap my head around everything. I really enjoy going through all the posts here to get different opinions and perspectives on things. Good luck to you!!

LOL thanks Winklie, I finally understand the difference!

I got Alex Brecher's book and also Garth Davis' book.

@@talkingmountain

Welcome to the show! As for the noob, newbie, you would refer to yourself as a newbie, I would refer to you as a noob. Newbie is descriptive, noob is insulting/demeaning. Too many years of video games.

I STRONGLY recommend that you read any of Alex Brecher's "Big Books" on the various weight loss surgeries. I found them entertaining and very informative. It's good to understand from a medical perspective what is going to happen inside you. Afterwards, you are a better educated consumer and customer, and this is a plus for everyone.

@@talking mountain

While it is big, once you have read Alex's book, you'll be back here to thank me again. It is truly an eye opening book, and will fill you in on a million things you had no idea about.

Happy Holiday's and your join date is far enough away that I wont' refer to you as a noob anymore!

My surgery happened on Monday (Dec 28). Had to stay in hospital 5 days b/c I wasn't able to keep anything down, even Water. Came home last nite but woke up early morning not being able to breathe and racked w chills. Went to local urgent care To get a nebulizing breathing treatment and they had called an ambulance to transport me to ER before Even finishing their assessment. Temp of 104.7. Now I'm back In hospital being treated for pneumonia.

So sorry to hear about the pneumonia. Work hard on the breathing exercises. They are miserable but help a ton. As soon as the antibiotics start kicking in you will feel way better.

I start back to work tomorrow!

I'm scared to be honest. First of all, I'm afraid I'll be overwhelmed. A mountain of work will have built up in the last month. Secondly, I still have really low energy as I've only been able to eat about 200-300 calories a day due to nausea and discomfort.

But, I have to go back at some point. Thank goodness I have a great boss who has been understanding while my "two weeks off" turned into a month!