Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

momentary stomach discomfort and gas burps with drinks post op

I had my sleeve on oct 27th and home in 2 days. I am doing well getting 64oz Water daily and 3 servings of juice daily. i notice if i am not super slow with my sips i seem to have a pas pain in stomach and burps. not using straws at all and trying to drink very slowly. any suggestions.

Those first few days are odd... they pass fast thank goodness. The air that is trapped from surgery is workin its way out... you are sore.. bloated... it passes by day 3-4 or so.

Edited by liannatx

I was sleeved Wednesday of this week and experiencing the exact same thing.

I was sleeved Wednesday as well. I am having a horrible time getting all of my Water and Protein in. The gas pains are horrible and I feel like i have heartburn most all of the time. I can only take 2 ounces at a time before I start feeling "full". I need some opinions on the best way to get in all my Protein and Water. How long should I wait between the 2 ounces to drink more? And popsicles are my enemy. They make the burning worse.

I was sleeved Wednesday as well. I am having a horrible time getting all of my Water and Protein in. The gas pains are horrible and I feel like i have heartburn most all of the time. I can only take 2 ounces at a time before I start feeling "full". I need some opinions on the best way to get in all my Protein and Water. How long should I wait between the 2 ounces to drink more? And popsicles are my enemy. They make the burning worse.

Ask your doctor for a PPI to help deal with the acid. Yes you stop at 2 ounces. You may need to sip every half hour or once an hour to get in enough fluids. When you aren't sipping, you need to walk. Walking will help that gas move out. As you heal you will be better able to get in the minimun Fluid and protein. Try each day to do more.

I had my sleeve on oct 27th and home in 2 days. I am doing well getting 64oz water daily and 3 servings of juice daily. i notice if i am not super slow with my sips i seem to have a pas pain in stomach and burps. not using straws at all and trying to drink very slowly. any suggestions.

Be careful with the juice. That pretty much liquid sugar with little nutritional value.

I'm gonna try a different system today to see if it helps. I am already on Protonix. I'm gonna focus on getting my fluids today and try something other than just Protein shakes. I have some powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury broth. I also walk as much as I can. I feel better this morning already.

You may need to increase your dosage. I had to go from 20 - 40mgs. Also notice when it seems to occur and plan to take your meds 1 -2 hours prior. That helped me tremendously.

Try room temperature or warm fluids. And the quicker you can get off pain medications, the faster the gas pain will go away. I'm 3 weeks out and I still sometimes get a pain from drinking but it's much better.

I was also sleeved on Wednesday and am experiencing the same gas effects. Drinking 2 ounces feels like I ate a whole Thanksgiving dinner. My minimum goal is 4 oz per hour so it's a little challenging.

What's been helping me is walking. Whenever I feel too bloated I walk until I belch. Right now I'm all about walking and sipping.

Today has been much better. I've been doing 2 oz. At a time and I have almost reached my Fluid and Protein goal. I do believe the pain meds are causing heartburn but since I had a hernia repair along with the sleeve I am a little more dependent on them. I am trying to space out the meds as long as possible. And the walking is the best thing ever. And I had my first BM this morning without any issues. It's getting better little by little.

I'm a little worried that I can gulp down 8 oz of Water in about 15-20 minutes at 6 days out. Hope he made this thing small enough.

Every time I take a sip I feel horrible gas pain. Starts at the bottom of my ribs and goes up. It's making it really hard to get my liquids in. I have been taking Pepcid also. I am almost worried that I popped a stitch somewhere since I was vomiting so much the first 24 hours.

@@itstimealready I can gulp Water too. I'm 2 and a half weeks out. Still having trouble getting much food in. And have to take Protein Shakes really slow or I get sick. Kinda weird.