Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Assimilate gastric sleeve without having surgery?

I've wondered the same thing, and I'm afraid there is one huge difference that only surgery provides: the portion of the stomach that is removed is the portion that secretes ghrelin, the hunger hormone. It's the removal of these cells, not just the physical reduction in stomach volume, that accounts for the big difference so many feel - they just "aren't interested" in eating, so they're able to eat for fuel, instead of entertainment, relief of boredom, emotional needs, etc.

One big reason for me wanting the surgery is to achieve mastery over hunger.

If it was that easy none of us would have our stomachs surgically removed. I ate under 800 calories a day and was never hungry for the first 8 mths post op. Can you survive on 800 calories?

Thank you 2goldengirl and BLERDgirl,

For that info..

My surgeon today told me that hunger returns after about a year. Are either of you far enough out to have experienced this yet?

I'm REALLY wanting to master hunger as well!! I feel like I'm ALWAYS hungry!!!

Surgeon is requiring me to lose 20 pounds. I've got to have 3 balanced meals a day.. No Snacks.< /p>

My surgery will probably be in Jan

Surgeon is requiring me to lose 20 pounds. I've got to have 3 balanced meals a day.. No Snacks.< /p>

Make sure you get enough Protein. It will keep you satisfied longer. Also, drink a lot of Water.

Yes I get hungry. However my capacity is still small & I always seek foods that give me the biggest bang for the buck.

Don't eat processed food. I found that even large amounts never kept me full the way a home cooked from scratch meal does. Lean Proteins, whole grains & dark green veg stick with you longer

If you are pre-op, you can fill up on vegetables. I kept a lot of frozen vegetables in the freezer and added steamed broccoli, cauliflower, etc. to bulk up my meals. Cruciferous vegetables are great for filling you up without a lot of calories.

My Kaiser program had a mandatory health education class. We met weekly for three months. We weighed in and had to provide food diaries. I lost 30 lbs before surgery and the knowledge learned has helped me to transition well into post-op life too. I felt like I could have continued losing if the program continued because i had to be accountable and checking in and showing losses were motivating and praised by my NUT. But I felt and still do feel that the surgery is another tool to continue to lose and get me to my goal and then maintain. I will continue to go to support groups with Kaiser to remain accountable and motivated.

Edited by thisfathasgot2go

Can one just eat small amounts and take vitamins... Follow all the same rules without actually getting surgery, and get similar results?

Sure! But good luck on surviving 300-500 calories a day for a year without the restriction, lack of grehlin, and other benefits of surgery. I know I couldn't have gone it. Believe me, I tried.

Can one just eat small amounts and take Vitamins... Follow all the same rules without actually getting surgery, and get similar results?

For sure. In fact, fat people are experts at this!

I lost over 100 lbs 3 times in my life... and gained it back. Because in the end the hunger will get you. No way could I live on that limited caloric intake long term... it might take time for it to return but the weight always came back. I'm 5'0" and 63 years old. The number of calories I need to maintain a healthy weight is really quite small. The sleeve takes the deprivation out of he equation.

I am 10 months out and the hunger has returned though not nearly as bad as pre-surgery. I am full on much less and provided I choose wisely I stay full longer.

Listen to BLERDgirl! She is a pro when it comes to really getting the maximum benefit from surgery. ???? You lose and maintain weight the same exact way post surgery as pre surgery: eat less, move more. But for me it is the surgery that makes this possible.