Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lap band removal and mortified.

I've struggled with my weight all my life. My mom's put me on a diet for as long as I remember and never felt good enough unless I'd loose weight. The first diet I was on was Jenny Craig @ 7years old and throughout my teen years I've been on everything. After HS a "blossomed" to a whopping 243 and finally decided I needed to do something about it and went on weight watchers, lost 50 lbs and it was marvelous. Until times at home got darker. I became an emotional eater and gained about more then 1/2 the weight back. It's become a major psychological thing wanting what you cant have Fooooooooood.

In 2007 I decided to get the lapband & it's helped me from eating less, but also the food around me was not as taboo. sorry for my rambling AND HERE'S MY POINT: I went for an upper GI last week and it shows I have a dilated esophagus. I went to the surgeon yesterday and he told me he needs to take it out. I was hoping for a conversion when they were already in there, but that's not going to happen. Maybe in another year I can get the sleeve, but in the meantime my esophagus needs to heal.

I believe almost everyone who takes their lapband out gains all their weight. The thought of that devastates me. I feel a piece that's helped me feel better about me is getting taken away to return to the old days.

I expressed myself to my bf and even some people around me and their answer is: EAT LESS! Just WORK OUT!. It's not that quite simple. I've read your hunger SOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAARSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS after. I'm scheduled for Dec 2 and as of right now I feel unbelievably defeated and can't help to think, whats the point of working out after or even now... if im going to gain the weight all back??

My plan is after I have the procedure I'm going to be on Belviq to help control my appetite. I'm so scared. :( Has anyone ever heard of people actually maintaining after removal??

Edited by crustymouse23

First of all, I'm truly sorry that your self-esteem has taken such a beating over your weight, and from such an early age.

Don't believe everything you read, especially over the internet. Everyone's experience is unique to them.

Are you getting counseling about your issues with food? Because your post sounds a lot like the kind of "all or nothing" approach than can lead any of us into self-defeating behaviors where we cycle endlessly into feeling awful about eating "wrong", then eating even more because we feel so awful and guilty and hopeless. You can and should get help around these issues during the time you are waiting for your esophagus to heal. Look for a therapist that works in Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, and you can learn to "reprogram" those automatic conversations you have with yourself and change the cycle.

And the "point of working out now" is because you reap benefits from working out no matter what your weight is.

Good luck!

Paragraphs are your friend.

First of all, I'm truly sorry that your self-esteem has taken such a beating over your weight, and from such an early age.

Don't believe everything you read, especially over the internet. Everyone's experience is unique to them.

Are you getting counseling about your issues with food? Because your post sounds a lot like the kind of "all or nothing" approach than can lead any of us into self-defeating behaviors where we cycle endlessly into feeling awful about eating "wrong", then eating even more because we feel so awful and guilty and hopeless. You can and should get help around these issues during the time you are waiting for your esophagus to heal. Look for a therapist that works in Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, and you can learn to "reprogram" those automatic conversations you have with yourself and change the cycle.

And the "point of working out now" is because you reap benefits from working out no matter what your weight is.

Good luck!

Thank you so much for your reply! I truly appreciated it! I guess I am afraid of what the future holds. Personally I'm not into burgers, pizza,, Pasta because I could not eat them. My worry is if my now that I am actually going to be able to consume these things, will I suddenly crave them. I definitely will look into a cognitive behavioral therapist! I love it when I am given specifics because I have somewhere to look. Thank you again for the reassurance! :)

I started having problems with my band April of 2014. I started to gain slowly a pound or 2 per every few months. I had my band unfilled last November 2014 because I found out I had complications- slip. I initially lost 80 pounds with the band. I have gained about 25 pounds in the past year and a half. I had my band removed Aug 2015.

It is possible that someone does NOT gain "all of their weight back". I exercise with Zumba 3 times a week on average, walk 3 to 4 miles per day when I'm not doing Zumba. I also try to still eat high Protein low carb and that has kept my weight from climbing any higher. I am revising to bypass on 11/30. You can gain control, it's not easy, but definately doable.

Edited by Dream4tc

I started having problems with my band April of 2014. I started to gain slowly a pound or 2 per every few months. I had my band unfilled last November 2014 because I found out I had complications- slip. I initially lost 80 pounds with the band. I have gained about 25 pounds in the past year and a half. I had my band removed Aug 2015.

It is possible that someone does NOT gain "all of their weight back". I exercise with Zumba 3 times a week on average, walk 3 to 4 miles per day when I'm not doing Zumba. I also try to still eat high Protein low carb and that has kept my weight from climbing any higher. I am revising to bypass on 11/30. You can gain control, it's not easy, but definately doable.

Thank you for your feedback! :) That's great to hear. How was your hunger after you got the lapband removed?

I had my band removed and than had the sleeve. But when I was on the band I lost about 60lbs and two years later I gained about 40 of those lbs back. After they remove your band your stomach will need to heal so you will not be able to eat what you with you can. All I can say is do the best you can. And try to make the best decision you can. Maybe if they say that you are healed they might do it before a yer. You rather be safe than sorry. And you have all the support on here to help you. Good luck with everything

I had my band removed and than had the sleeve. But when I was on the band I lost about 60lbs and two years later I gained about 40 of those lbs back. After they remove your band your stomach will need to heal so you will not be able to eat what you with you can. All I can say is do the best you can. And try to make the best decision you can. Maybe if they say that you are healed they might do it before a yer. You rather be safe than sorry. And you have all the support on here to help you. Good luck with everything

Thank you! :) I'm really worried about my hunger soaring.

I had the band for 7 years before I had to have it removed due to the slippage. I lost 101lbs in the first year and pretty much maintained that for the duration. When I had to get my first unfill from the slip I gained 20lbs then lost it with fills. The second time around I gained the 20lbs but could loose it. When it came out I gained another 20lbs. I did find that if I ate regular size meals, that I didn't graze because I was full for a longer period of time then when I had the band.

I got my revision on 10/13 and including the pre op diet, I am down 20lbs. Try not to stress yourself out to much. Just try eating large health meals and you will do ok.

bless you!! and thank you!! Did you change your ways of eating while you were on the band? If so, did you did you take that with you when your and was taken off? or did any of your old cravings come back? Thank you!! :)

I had the band for 7 years before I had to have it removed due to the slippage. I lost 101lbs in the first year and pretty much maintained that for the duration. When I had to get my first unfill from the slip I gained 20lbs then lost it with fills. The second time around I gained the 20lbs but could loose it. When it came out I gained another 20lbs. I did find that if I ate regular size meals, that I didn't graze because I was full for a longer period of time then when I had the band.

I got my revision on 10/13 and including the pre op diet, I am down 20lbs. Try not to stress yourself out to much. Just try eating large health meals and you will do ok.

For the 1st year or so I followed the diet to the letter. Slowly over the years the old habits crept back in. I sip of pop turned into half a little can to a full little can and so on. Same with sweets. A chip here turned into a cookie there. So by the time the band came off, I did the full indulgence. Maybe not the smartest move but after so many years, it was nice to feel "normal" when going out to eat. I had my food funeral and then jumped right back on the horse and started the liquid diet and post surgical diet all over again.

It sucks but gotta loose the 45lbs I gained. So far, after having the revision I don't really crave anything yet. Hope it stays that way.

Thank you for your feedback! :) That's great to hear. How was your hunger after you got the lapband removed?
I actually had restrictions still for 2 months I'm just now starting to feel like I can eat more. I think I get more head hunger than I do physical

I can definitely tell that my stomach shrunk some in the four years that I had the band. I don't push it I just eat until I feel full. I eat and chew the same like I did when I had the band. I take smaller bites, I still use smaller forks and spoons and smaller plates. That was the best habit I learned from having the band chew slowly and small bites. I also exercise three times a week. That helps keep my weight in check

Edited by Dream4tc

@@crustymouse23 if you put your mind to it you will be ok. It's ok to gain Alil weight just do everything you can until your not produced. Just make sure you do what you can watch the food you eat and try to exercise you will be ok.

Get your hormones balanced.

Get your cortisol levels androgen levels progesterone testosterone all do a complete panel of your hormones.

Cortisol holds fat makes your brain say go in to survival mode because of stress.

Just do research on all hormones you are your best dr and there are natural approaches to healing.

I been studying even after the revision why my brain thinks I can slam a burger or drink a malt or eat anything fried I can't do nothin crazy like that. I don't even crave nothin. They said when they give you a sleeve they remove a hormone that is in the out of the stomach that makes you crave. So now I don't but still have some consequences I'm fighting back with that is with knowledge. I'm not leaving my life in the hands of a stranger even if the dr has all types of degrees. Drs are regulated by the govt and well don't have 45min to sit w you and diagnose you. You know why they have you fill out a pt history form so they can have something to go by. You see females take after the father biologically and makes take after the mother so I'd look into what up w your grandma on your father's side.

I struggled w my wt since I was in 3rd grade then I lost it and gained it again after 21 and at 31 got banded and 36 just sleeved thinkin this would solve my fat issues. Come to find out balance your hormones balance your everything.. Clearer thinking, Peace, regular me trial cycle and we do not have to put up w PMS or premenopausal or menopause all this is hormones. I went to a psychologist thought I should seek help for panic disorder anxiety I been taking meds since I was 23 and well this dr says put a band aid on it I can't fix u but take this. " man made chemicals"

The body was made from ashes/ dirt so go back to natural not chemical. Another Dr said take these pills for diabetes and this for cholesterol SHEESH HOW MUCH STRESS CAN WE PUT ON OUR organs really.... Knowledge is power. That dr don't make no sense to me why your esophagus needs to heal it's not like while they do a revision at the same time when you get out ur gonna slam a steak.

You will be on liquids for a while.

I'd go to another bariatric dr who will do it. Get 3-10 different opinions don't just believe one stranger. I went to 4.. The prices got cheaper the attitudes got more peculiar. They knew I did my homework... This is your life and you are very much valued and important but pray and ask God to give you Godly knowledge and to guide you. Talk to God about this don't complain but listen there are other things going on besides wt. start with another opinion there is lots of free consultations. Next start getting those hormones in alignment. God Bless ya

~ Lilly