Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Remind why I don't want to be fat...

So... I'm three years out ... I'm up 25lbs... I am reading - and planned to start - the 5 Day Pouch Test Owners Manual... it is supposed to help sleevers like me who have fallen off the wagon get back to eating correctly and "reset" their pouch to fullness.

But ... more and more I am thinking I am tired of counting calories and watching what I eat ... life is stressful and at aged 55, I should be able to come home and have a glass of Merlot of I like and some Brie and triscuits... the holidays are coming and I WANT to have Cookies and muffins and an occasional hot chocolate...

The angel on my shoulder reminds me that 25lbs ago, my back, feet and knees didn't hurt... I could use stairs easily and not get winded ... I loved the feel of having collarbones!

But then, I think, "Why not be fat? You can buy larger clothes- you're still smaller than you WERE!"

*sigh* I need a little more than a nudge ... I am not sure I want to be healthy as much as I am tired of BEING ON A DIET of some kind.

I had planned to start the 5 Day Pouch Plan on Saturday ... I'm reading the book first, and am already dreading two days of only Protein Shakes and broth. When I did it pre-surgery, I really believed I would never go back... now, I'm not so sure anymore. Thoughts?

Remember that this isn't a diet as much as its a life style change and maybe just get back to basics start logging your food start aiming for 10000 steps a day get Protein first then veggies then whole grains if you have room

Warning, i'm preop, so take this as it comes ;-)

I feel ya. There is a part of all of us, I'm sure, who resent that we have to monitor every little stinkin' bite we take or pay the price in a weight gain. And there have been times when I've franklin fallen off my plan out of sheer rebellion at the relentlessness of it.

I've spent the past year simply trying to be more aware of what I'm eating and why, quite deliberately trying to get the oughts and shoulds out of my thinking. And the real truth is, being overweight is just a pain in the posterior. It's inconvenient. it's uncomfortable, it's expensive - and that's without taking into account that it's gotten harder and harder to keep my blood pressure under control and now my blood sugar is creeping up, too.

I've decided it's worth the relentlessness to get my health and energy back. I want to retire in the next couple-three years, and dangit, I want to enjoy it. I want to be able to travel and hike around Europe and simply bend over to tie my shoes comfortably and not wince at photos of myself. If I have to buy new clothes, I want it to be because I've either worn out or fallen out of love with the ones I have, not because I've gotten too big for them. I'm just plain done with that. I don't know that this will help you, but you've come this far, surely it's worth the the effort!

Edited by 2goldengirl

@@Strangefruit

I totally hear ya. I've been at this for almost 15 months, just going into maintenence, and it's not easy. I get "battle weary" some days, and have the EXACT same thoughts you have had. I think "Fuck it. I'm 48 years old, I want to enjoy the time I have left and EAT WHATEVER I WANT. I don't mind being pleasantly plump. I'm middle aged, I'm SUPPOSED to be plump!"

The problem is if I just ate what I wanted and paid no heed to what I was eating, the pleasantly plump turns into morbid obesity. I've been there, and it takes a toll on my health unfortunately. High blood pressure, diabetes, sore joints....you name it, I had it. For me, that's the motivation to fight to maintain a normal weight. Let's face it, obesity affects us differently the older we get. It's not just a vanity thing anymore...it's really life and death for us. I would like to live longer than both my parents did. They both died untimely deaths due to heart issues. I cant do that to my kids...I WON'T if I can prevent it.

Good luck and I'm rooting for you!!

The title of your post says "Remind why..."

So I'm gonna focus on that rather than its content...

Being fat is ****...

It hurts

Knee pain

Ankle pain

Sick in the stomach

That irritating thing that happens with your lower back every now and then

I’m sure you know the one

Well, they all happen because we’re fat…

Being fat is shit…

It's expensive

How much do (did) we spend on take-away food?

What about when we (I) have to go to the ‘big and tall’ section/shop/website just to get a plain old black polo shirt

And then they want to charge you (me) $50 for it

What about the extra seat on a plane

These things happen because we’re fat…

Being fat is shit…

It’s embarrassing

The sideways looks

The snickers from strangers (no, not the chocolate)

What about the lady here in Australia yesterday, who sought, and was granted, an official apology from an airline because as she boarded the plane, the air hostess asked her for her medical certificate.

The woman asked why she needed a medical certificate…

She was then told that pregnant women need a medical certificate to fly

She wasn’t pregnant

This happened because she was fat (and because the air hostess was an arse!!)

Being fat is shit…

It’s unhealthy

A healthy person doesn’t tire or get puffed from walking up a single flight of stairs

A healthy person doesn’t work up a sweat whilst drying themselves after a shower

They don’t have to choose their restaurants based on the type of chair that is there

That kinda stuff happens if you’re fat

Of course, I’m not saying that all, or any, of these things apply to you

But you were looking for reminders of why you don’t want to be fat

I’ve now given you a few

And they’re just the tip of the iceberg…

Early death.......nuf said. :unsure:

We are living and not just sitting! Make it fun and enjoy. It's very hard to stay on the skinny mind but reaping the rewards. It's worth it! Don't let food control you. You are in control.