Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Prego with the band!

Hi All, Well only 8 months and I managed to get knocked up! We are very happy! I am just cncerned with the band and all. My OBGYN sees no problem, the LapBand nurse wants to take out the fills. I feel as if I di eat enough and am taking my pre-natals. Please give me any advice as I am in desperate need.

I have had NO complications and done very well. Lost 75 lbs in the past 8 months. I LOVE MY BAND!

:help:

Congrats to you.. My sister is 2 1/2 years post op total weight loss of 102 lbs.. she is now 4 1/2 mos pregnant. Her OBGYN said that she could leave her band as is for as well... not sure why that is.. good luck w/ your pregnancy. I was banded 11/26/06..I've only lost 39lbs so far. I'm hoping to have lost my last 40lbs by nov. of this year so I can work on the pregnancy thing. Once again~ CONGRATS!

Congratulations! I hope you have a very healthy pregnancy and baby!

All I have seen is: complete unfill for the length of the pregnancy, 2 weeks recovery after birth, refill band.

If a midwifery client of mine came to me with a band in place I would not immediately say to unfill unless they so desired. Instead I would ask that they do a week or so of diet recall sheets (probably continue on and off throughout the pregnancy) and watch her...is weight OK, able to eat enough Protein to nourish a growing baby? If all continues well and they are able to eat a good diet then I would just wait until a need presents itself before removing the fill.

Here's a post from another thread that a woman who has had THREE successful banded pregnancies made:

03-25-2007, 09:56 PM #8 (permalink)

fabfatgrl Registered User

I'm on my third Band pregnancies--and have been unfilled for all of them. You definitely need to consider an unfill during your first trimester due to morning sickness concerns. If you're vomiting a lot... you could cause your Band to slip... meaning you could need emergency Band surgery while pregnant. Not a good thing.

See how things go during the first trimester, and then talk with your OB and your surgeon about a re-fill during your 2nd and 3rd trimester. If you've gained a lot during the 1st trimester, it may be something to consider. IF not, then probably it's best to wait until after the Baby is born. Your Band can be tightened after your pregnancy... and you won't have to worry about how your WLS is affecting your Baby.

If you do keep your fill, you may also want to talk with your OB and surgeon about having it removed at 38 weeks or so... as when you go into labor... during a period called Transition (around 5 cms dilation) many people experience vomiting. (Real vomiting, NOT PBing). Once again, this is a risk for slippage.

Thank you all so very much. I dont have morning sickness yet...I didnt with the first (non-band baby). I am a required cs so the take the baby early.

I have been eating very well, but definetly think I will try the journal to see what I really eat in a day.

I will keep you all posted - so far so good!

I got pregnant 2 weeks after i got my band! I lost about 5 pounds! I was bummed but really happy, it was hard because it was my first (and only baby) that my husband and I wanted so bad, but I just got banded. My surgeons nurse wanted to take out my meager fill, but since i really had no restriction, i refused, and I never had a problem with it. My suggestion is get a really great obstetrition with experience with "high risk", she thought nothing bad of my band, and even suggested it would help me control the inevitable weight gain of pregnancy, she also said i was lucky to have the band, as though it was adjustable. She was a gorgeous little 100 pound thing, but she never judged me, and did a great great job. I only gained 10 pounds in the first 8 months, and 30 the last (i got gestational hypertension, it was all Water weight). Nadia came by c-section (little breech brat) an was absolutely perfect. Doctor even took extra care not to disturb my port. My altime high was 324 a day after she was born (swelled up even worse because of c-section) but by my 6 week check up, I was down to 280 with relatively little effort (recovering and all, you know) and now 2 months out, and a good fill, I have lost another 15 pounds. The band was GREAT with my pregnancy, but having an understanding support team with my care was what made it that way. I hope you all the luck, and I strongly suggest you get a good baby doctor, as to be honest, my doc never thought of the band as an inconvienience, but rather, a helpful tool. Good luck.

Thank you for your insite and congrats! I have the same Dr as last time - he is great! SO far he is more excided that I have the band. I think I am getting enough nutrition so far so I am filling great!

I will keep you all posted!

I got pregnant 2 weeks after i got my band! I lost about 5 pounds! I was bummed but really happy, it was hard because it was my first (and only baby) that my husband and I wanted so bad, but I just got banded. My surgeons nurse wanted to take out my meager fill, but since i really had no restriction, i refused, and I never had a problem with it. My suggestion is get a really great obstetrition with experience with "high risk", she thought nothing bad of my band, and even suggested it would help me control the inevitable weight gain of pregnancy, she also said i was lucky to have the band, as though it was adjustable. She was a gorgeous little 100 pound thing, but she never judged me, and did a great great job. I only gained 10 pounds in the first 8 months, and 30 the last (i got gestational hypertension, it was all Water weight). Nadia came by c-section (little breech brat) an was absolutely perfect. Doctor even took extra care not to disturb my port. My altime high was 324 a day after she was born (swelled up even worse because of c-section) but by my 6 week check up, I was down to 280 with relatively little effort (recovering and all, you know) and now 2 months out, and a good fill, I have lost another 15 pounds. The band was GREAT with my pregnancy, but having an understanding support team with my care was what made it that way. I hope you all the luck, and I strongly suggest you get a good baby doctor, as to be honest, my doc never thought of the band as an inconvienience, but rather, a helpful tool. Good luck.

Thank you for your in-site. I have kept a journal and do seem to be eating enough. That was a great idea!

If a midwifery client of mine came to me with a band in place I would not immediately say to unfill unless they so desired. Instead I would ask that they do a week or so of diet recall sheets (probably continue on and off throughout the pregnancy) and watch her...is weight OK, able to eat enough Protein to nourish a growing baby? If all continues well and they are able to eat a good diet then I would just wait until a need presents itself before removing the fill.

My ob/gyn says I have to loose 40 more lbs and then I have the go ahead to start ttc. She wants me to start taking prenatal Vitamins now. What kind did all of you take?